DRL's Again

Hi B777XWX,

So far I am very pleased with these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1156-382-PY21W-XENON-WHITE-CANBUS-27-LED-BULBS-DRL-/280736475615?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415d32a9df#ht_2136wt_1361

Fullfill all 3 requirements you have (mine is the same).

Modifying with load resistors or dummy filament bulbs are also not my cup of tea.

Thank you for your fast answer. Could you please upload a picture of them during night (if you have, if not, do not bother)

Regards

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi B777XWX,

So far I am very pleased with these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1156-382-PY21W-XENON-WHITE-CANBUS-27-LED-BULBS-DRL-/280736475615?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415d32a9df#ht_2136wt_1361

Fullfill all 3 requirements you have (mine is the same).

Modifying with load resistors or dummy filament bulbs are also not my cup of tea.

do you get any overheating as others have been suggesting?

I was goign to get a pair of these for DRLs and then changed my mind due to recent posts...

Sorry but I don't have a picture on stock. But it is very similar to the pictures posted with the Ultraleds. I will take one in the one of the next days.

So far no problem with overheating or anything. I had overheating problems with the sidelights (see my sidelight topic here on briskoda.net). But again I guess the BA15 socket is far better regarding heat than the small w5w socket.

But as with any other ebay item which has origin in far east, I guess guarantee is a city in china.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i have received new "canbus" leds bulb, that i inteend to fit in my superb. I have tested with a power supply out and i can confirm that the bulbs gets very hot after half an hour of use.

However i have checked that exists a function (byte) inside Centr elec. unit (checked with VCDS), that can be modified. This value defines a percentage of dimmer that can be applied to this bulbs. Currrently the value in my car is 91%. I think, if we lower this value a bit, we can put less power to the led bulb (or another standard bulb)that helps to avoid overheating and problems in the housing or reflector (the life of the bulb will be higher too).

I will post more when i test it.

Regards.

Well, i have received new "canbus" leds bulb, that i inteend to fit in my superb. I have tested with a power supply out and i can confirm that the bulbs gets very hot after half an hour of use.

However i have checked that exists a function (byte) inside Centr elec. unit (checked with VCDS), that can be modified. This value defines a percentage of dimmer that can be applied to this bulbs. Currrently the value in my car is 91%. I think, if we lower this value a bit, we can put less power to the led bulb (or another standard bulb)that helps to avoid overheating and problems in the housing or reflector (the life of the bulb will be higher too).

I will post more when i test it.

Regards.

Well, as I presumed, it is posible to regulate the power or brightness of the DRL bulbs, using VCDS. The default value of dimming for the default bulbs is 92%. I have been doing several tests.

I have tested the standard temperature of the stock bulbs after a while and I'm more relaxed now, because i have checked that stock bulb are not cool either. More or less generate the same heat than the LED bulbs I've bought (tested with the maximum voltage of my power supply - 13,6 V). So I think i will never have problems with the housing (cross fingers).

However, i have decided to reduce the percentage of dimming for the leds bulbs, to work less forced, without giving a a brightness loss.

The way to modify the dimming value is:

-Open VCDS

-Enter to "Cent. Elec" - Module 09

-Then click on the right : "Coding -07"

- Click on "Long Coding Helper" button.

- Go to byte 24.

- Modify the value in "Dec1" fiel to a value between 1-100 (is percentage, in decimal, of dimming value). Stock value in my car is 92%, now i have it in 70% with the led bulbs (testing, if right i will increase the value a bit" . When modify value, push enter.

- Close the current window.

- In the next window, press "Do it". A little windows appears "Coding accepted". Press accept and all is done ( you can close VCDS if you want).

I hope this is useful for you.

I am writing a "tutorial" or "DIY" guide, when i have available, i will post here.

EXAMPLE OF STOCK BULB WITH A DIMMING VALUE OF 10%:

NYBPW.jpg

Regards,

Fernando.

Edited by ferdinandus

Just bought these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280736475615?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2042wt_1346

They seem to be the same as others have purchased.

Probably won't get to fit them until Friday, so will have to put up with the horrible yellow filaments until then.

Is there a thread that tells me what I need to replace all of the interior bulbs please?

Thanks

Wowbagger

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280736475615?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2042wt_1346

They seem to be the same as others have purchased.

Probably won't get to fit them until Friday, so will have to put up with the horrible yellow filaments until then.

Is there a thread that tells me what I need to replace all of the interior bulbs please?

Thanks

Wowbagger

Bought these lasted only 4 months

Thanks

Wowbagger

Bought these lasted only 4 months

This same thread as info on the interior lights mate, along with some links back to ebay sellers for the bulbs. I have one my complete interior and it's a transformation, so much chrisper with the LED's and a more modern look and feel.

Has anyone tried these??

http://www.hids-dire...4i8ugi3npl0bqe2

I know they're not LED's...

Yes absolute crap they are they burn into light fitting and ruin it

Would never touch them with a barge pole, mine were only in for a few days but the light they emit IMO was crap :thumbdown:

But if you really want the chromed version then look here

Would never touch them with a barge pole, mine were only in for a few days but the light they emit IMO was crap :thumbdown:

But if you really want the chromed version then look here

Just want a bulb that is going to last at least as long as and is brighter than the stock bulb.

I'm happy to experiment to find the right bulb but it looks like everyone else has already gone through it and still no definitive answer?

Post #17 shows my car with the MTEC / std OE / SMD bulbs fitted

IMO the OE bulbs are too yellow

MTEC too blue

SMD (LED's) are much better but do still have a faint blue tint to them, ideally I would change them for pure white ones, but it's finding them :dull:

I started this thread 6 months ago i have had these fitted for the last 6 months.

http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/Canbus%20white%2027%20SMD%20LED%20BA15s%201156%20382%20bulbs

No problems. Never burned anything. Nothing melted. No errors. Done about 12000 miles. Will buy again if they ever go, nice and white, I have a white car but still look nice and bright. A lot brighter than the originals.

Hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread or anything but I bought these LED's:

I have an Octy II on an 09 plate and with these fitted the canbus complains that there is a fault in the circuit for each DRL, other than getting a new Central Electrics controller (like newer models) I don't know what else to do as I know load resistors are built into them but I refuse to have them seperate.

Thanks in advance!

BIG Nick :)

Hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread or anything but I bought these LED's:

I have an Octy II on an 09 plate and with these fitted the canbus complains that there is a fault in the circuit for each DRL, other than getting a new Central Electrics controller (like newer models) I don't know what else to do as I know load resistors are built into them but I refuse to have them seperate.

Thanks in advance!

BIG Nick :)

Like I said before put a 5w bulb in parralel.

Have normal DRL noncanbus bulbs and over a year with this. Once a 5w went out, cents to change.

I will take a picture soon to leave here.

Like I said before put a 5w bulb in parralel.

Have normal DRL noncanbus bulbs and over a year with this. Once a 5w went out, cents to change.

I will take a picture soon to leave here.

None of the CANBUS friendly bulbs have worked with my Superb SE Plus (June 2011), I have used Alberg's solution and bingo, no errors, no warnings and the LED's are fine. I genuinely tried a set of bulbs from every vendor listed in the thread, no joy with any of them, all of them threw warning lights and maxi dot errors.