check your wheel arch liners now!

Took the wheel arch liner off to get to the alternator. Got confronted with this lot! I know this has been covered before, but if you havent cleared yours out, do so now!

5878171198_4b499d23ce_b.jpg

Also, check the plenum chamber drain holes at the ends - right at the top inside the wheel arch.

The hole:

5878207938_ac597e82e3_b.jpg

The crud that came out:

5878198806_070c546160_b.jpg

Just been doing mine as part of a "deep clean" took 4 hours per arch :o . Cleaned all tar off plastic liners and polished. Washed arches. Rectified a couple of small rust patches then white stoneguard, cleaned calipers and inside rim of wheels. Only found dirt collecting at rear of inside front arch.

If you havent done it yet, do it.

• 1 year later...

Yup.

This was mine last summer...

3145bt0.jpg

I just did the fronts again last weekend. No where near as bad as this, but they needed cleaning all the same.

You really don't want to be jacking the car there, by the way. Those sill bend like cardboard. Get a cheap lo profile jack and jack it under the subframe bolts, or rear wishbone bolts.

• Like 2

You really don't want to be jacking the car there, by the way. Those sill bend like cardboard. Get a cheap lo profile jack and jack it under the subframe bolts, or rear wishbone bolts.

I know. I could do with a low profile jack, but they're pricey enough to get anything semi decent.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry to bump but just cleaned mine out this gone weekend, did it a year or so ago too. Maybe a 6-monthly removal and grub out of them is best? Spent a few hours sunday removing the plastic underseal type stuff that has been cracked & opened from tyre fitters ramming metal topped jacks under, causing water to go between the underseal and the body, so wire brushed it all off and put some proper underseal mix on along the inside and outside edge of the lip on the sill. Should protect it for a few more years.

*Also, instead of making another thread or asking for part numbers, can anyone tell me if the vRS front arch liners are different to the non vRS ones, as I have a vRS front bumper but the arch liners don't seem to fit great, may just be me though.

Edited by marc54rg

• 2 weeks later...