Tyres

Olly87

I have recently noticed my vrs hates the rain! Going around corners at 20mph the other morning and it started skidding! They are cheap tat on the front and my main question is what is a good all round tyre for the standard vrs wheels? I have heard Toyo are good, but I want good wet grip really!

Thanks olly

I been using Toyos Proxes 204/45/15 an my 16'' Vrs they been very good wet and dry. Now an my 17'' I have Yokohama Parada 205/40/17 been using them for about 1200miles in wet and dry they very good also. Hope that help you make decision.

Davidoff

Goodyear GSD3's get my vote

+ 1 for the Goodyears, but if i'm not mistaken they stopped production of the Eagle F1's in favour of the new Assymetrics which come very highly rated but are expensive. I'm currently running GSD3's and Pirelli P Zero's and cant fault the Pirelli's, i've found them superb in wet condition and very good in dry conditions, will definately be buying them again. IIRC I was about £75 each fitted and balanced.

Toyo T1-R's are very good wet very tyres.... but on the front of a heavy diesel engined car you may find the front wear quick... but then again they are quite cheap also and if you swap the fronts and backs at the right time then you should see 30k out of a set

Goodyear GSD3's get my vote

I found the edge of the Eagle F1s very square and under heavy cornering they rubbed my arches! Ive had 3 sets of Toyo T1rs and have just switched to a set of Flaken ZE912 (still listed as a fast road tyre), the tread pattern is not as sexy as the toyos but for a slightly cheaper option I honestly cannot tell any difference in grip. They also have some funky channels or grooves near the outer edge for better wet weather driving.

So far so good, I only get around 10k miles out the Toyo's so I'll see how these fair.

John

I'm testing federal rsr595 and I love them!

Excellent in the drygt, wet cold and hot :-).

Might wear quick, but the price is tight for them :D!

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk

Edited by Confide

I currently have Hankook K415s on the front and cant fault them,

Just ordered another 2 for the back, but i've had to wait 2 weeks as they're being discontinued :(

Fantastic wet and dry grip, will give at higher rpms in lower gears but thats to be exspected, very controlable.

Much better than Toyo PX4;s and Federal 595super steels, and on a par with Avon ZZ3's imo.

• 2 weeks later...

+ 1 for the Goodyears, but if i'm not mistaken they stopped production of the Eagle F1's in favour of the new Assymetrics which come very highly rated but are expensive. I'm currently running GSD3's and Pirelli P Zero's and cant fault the Pirelli's, i've found them superb in wet condition and very good in dry conditions, will definately be buying them again. IIRC I was about £75 each fitted and balanced.

Can't fault the Pirelli's but god they wear fast, got through a set on the front in 8K on my last Fabia vRS and I don't think of myself as a boy racer these days (not at 52 anyway)

:giggle:

Hankook Ventus evo's on all 4 corners.

Parada's and t1r's don't last 2 minutes and uniroyal rainsport 2, were out of stock everywhere when I wanted them.

Well happy with the hankooks though, especially in the wet and are cheaper than the above few.

I have recently noticed my vrs hates the rain! Going around corners at 20mph the other morning and it started skidding! They are cheap tat on the front and my main question is what is a good all round tyre for the standard vrs wheels? I have heard Toyo are good, but I want good wet grip really!

Thanks olly

Toyo T1R's are what i have on mine. They wear slightly more than other brands though..

Cant fault them though. Superb value..

However i'm going continentals nextime..

As daft as it sounds, i think directional tread tyres are pants in the wet?, as i said it does sound strange but after trying several different tyres over the years i can honestly say i prefer multi-directional tread ones and think they tend to aquaplane less!

i've tried Toyo's, Goodyears, Yokohama's, Bridgestones and BF Goodridge and much prefer the ones with the multi-directional tread.

Maybe as each nobble moves independently of each other or maybe it's just me, horses for courses i guess :yes:

I'm running Uniroyal Rainsport 2s.

Fantastic tyres.

Very, very surefooted.

Toyo T1-Rs are great tyres as well, had them on 3 Subarus, a Volvo and a Range Rover.

The Uniroyals get my vote though.

I bought my 2010 Fabia vrs last month, only to find after purchase, that the front pair were new, cheapo, Matadors. On my old 1.9 vrs tdi Fabia, I always used Continental SC2's. The rears lasted nearly 5 years before changing, and still had good tread. The fronts were changed 3 times.

Deciding on what fronts to buy for my new Fabia is a minefield.

It's definately a case of 'one man's meat is another man's poison' when looking at reviews. I like the Conti's, but the tyre life is terrible.

Decisions, decisions!

Edited by PeteMal

Hi when i brought my vrs last year it had 4 avon tyres on it... Compared to my old car it handled and understeered really bad!

When i was due for new tyres i spent ages looking for the best tyre! i brought some mich pilot sport 3, these transformed the car being able to go round corners so much faster the grip level is so much higher. These are the first mich tyres i have ever brought because i never thought they would be that good for the cost of them aswell! I paid 180 for two but that was at trade, when im due agen il only buy mich now!