VRS Burning oil

James I

Mine has used about 4L of oil in 18 months/14000miles. More than any other car I have owned but not something I am remotely bothered about. A fairly trivial expense/hassle tbh. Wouldn't be happy if I was having to fill it every week tho.

Mine has used about 4L of oil in 18 months/14000miles. More than any other car I have owned but not something I am remotely bothered about. A fairly trivial expense/hassle tbh. Wouldn't be happy if I was having to fill it every week tho.

Not bad at all, mine has used 5 litres in 4,000 miles over 18 months.

the idea of this thread when I started it was to hear from people with the same issue my car has, I really don't care about ****le/rotary engines.

So if we could please get back on topic I think that would be good, Ta.

Can't agree more. To me, this variation does not allow it yet to be either characterised as a desing flawed unit or "conditions flawed" unit (If I can use such a term). I mean go to one of the people here that don't use a drop and tell them your engine is bad. They'll have a laugh at you. Given their response now go to some other owners (koppo was one of them iirc) and tell them your engine is great right? They will want to punch you in the face I guess. The second cases however, by various topics, polls etc. I've concluded that are significantly less than the first ones. Now there are some other cases inbetween, and these are the majority, that while not exactly buying a 5L Castrol Edge bottle every month, do have to top up by a little every now and then. Between them, some will say it's ok, it's expected etc. etc. while others will say "it's incredible that a modern engine uses oil!"

Apparently it's not a straightforward situation that you can easily have a clear opinion about. Add to that VAG's silence on the subject and you have the reasons for all these threads keeping going and hearing litterally anything that everybody thinks about it. I mean why don't they tell us, is it a recognised fault? Is it certain batches that suffer from it? Is it driving conditions or/and running in? Do they have solid figures on the cars that have been back to dealers with oil consumptions and how many of them did actualy suffer? Not seeing the end of the line yet...

To answer your question, VAG did know perfectly well that in 2009 they had a bad batch of engines exhibiting substantial oil usage problem. They did know but decided not to do anything about and wait for customers to come back to them with warranty claims, simply cheaper that way!

They will not publish any data on how many percentage wise top tune 1.4 TSi units were faulty. They even potentially could have mixed up those bad engines with good ones so it was all to be below expected bad engine percentages within yearly production.

Who was it that said only 1700 top tune vRS cars were registered to date in UK?

Would love to know where the info came from?

Also, I think it was a valid comment that if ALL engines were using 500ml per 1000km then fine, that is how they are. Instead if rather small percentage among VAG group needs to tow an oil tanker and the rest is fine then no, this is not OK and nobody should be fine with it no matter how much time they spent googling for info on that engine!

Also do not forget that this is a 1.4 tuned to produce output of a well tuned 2.3 litre... And is producing as much top boost as F1 cars at the beginning of the turbo era...

When I get the car and if it drinks oil it will straight back to SUK for replacement.

• Like 1

the only research i do when buying anything is the price,specs etc i buy things on how I find them and not internet trolls who'll post all sorts of rubbish about things that often they don't even own.

these days if you google mars bar they'll be some terrible thing about it that should put you off but i bet Mr average would gobble up a mars bar without giving it a second thought

when you bought the car did you first google oil usage? the thought of this in a modern day car NEVER entered my mind and why the hell should it!!!

• Like 1

the only research i do when buying anything is the price,specs etc i buy things on how I find them and not internet trolls who'll post all sorts of rubbish about things that often they don't even own.

these days if you google mars bar they'll be some terrible thing about it that should put you off but i bet Mr average would gobble up a mars bar without giving it a second thought

when you bought the car did you first google oil usage? the thought of this in a modern day car NEVER entered my mind and why the hell should it!!!

I didn't google anything about the VRs, we went to chop in a V5 Bora and buy a 9 month old Fabia 1.2 tsi dsg, When we got to the dealer the 1.2 was grid locked on the forecourt and the only cars available for a test drive was a vrs, we took that for a blast and on our return we sat in the showroom next to a pre registered race blue vrs, I was weak and bought it.

A 20 minute test drive, no research and didn't even get an insurance quote.

As you say about reviews on the net, they seem to be un reliable, with some things getting excellent reviews and some people slating the same product. Who do you believe?

I really like the Fabia VRs but oil usage is excessive on ours, my mate bought one 6 months later after driving ours knowing about the oil usage too, his has used 500ml in 7,000 miles, so there doesn't seem to be any logic to oil usage, just luck of which car you get

Edited by James I
  • Like 1

I remember I used to have a lucky dip, never knew what you got until you opened it up, it was mostly crap! Well after a while it just fell apart :( I bet a lot of the vrs owners feel the same? , c'mon they are dropping this combo cos its crap vag knows it and deep down you know it, some of you are lucky ( for now) even the second hand car traders say this combo is a donkey

• Like 1

And the DVLA Data is always wrong, it fails to show vehicles 'in trade'.

(currently 58 advertised just on Autotrader)

Database showing like Only 46 A1 S-A, a few hundred Ibiza S-A, VW Polo GTi S-A etc

I have checked vehicles that are supposed to have almost none left, and the club i am in has more on the register than the DVLA have on the Database

or actually at events, road legal and in the flesh.

How are they doing in Australia & elsewhere around the world?

george

I remember I used to have a lucky dip, never knew what you got until you opened it up, it was mostly crap! Well after a while it just fell apart :( I bet a lot of the vrs owners feel the same? , c'mon they are dropping this combo cos its crap vag knows it and deep down you know it, some of you are lucky ( for now) even the second hand car traders say this combo is a donkey

Another pointless set of observations from somebody who has been down on the vRS from day 1. Has he ever owned a vRS or even driven one? I suspect not.

Just because there are a handful if people on this forum with oil consumption issues doesn't make it a crap engine. If I took sebonis boring diesel golf (or whatever it is that he drives) for a spin I think I'd come back and say "nice car shame about the crappy engine -sounds like a tractor, doesn't rev much and not much power". :-)

• Like 1

The 1.4 tfsi is an incredible engine, it delivers better torque figures better than that of a 2.3 V5, it has a higher BHP than most stock 1.4 engines, it is cheap to tax the car because of emissions, it delivers 40mpg. It goes like a stabbed rat!

So my point is that all engines will go this way, turbo, supercharged or both because of emission laws, also to achieve better economy, the tfsi was one of the first to push the envelope of progress and it has done it well even though my car burns oil it still runs extremely well.

Take your diesel for example, Peugeot had one of the best turbo diesels in the 90's, it was 1.7, then it went to 1.9 and economy went down then they introduced the 2.0 HDI and it is crap, VAG's PD was the way to go, but now even that is gone, we now have CR diesels that are less economic because of all the filters in the exhaust etc, now even this engine is under threat as the 1.6 green line/bluemotion are becoming more and more common.

IMO the 1.4 TFSI is a well balanced package and delivers performance with balanced economy and it has half decent green credentials. Even though I started this thread feeling slightly p'ed off I still have the car and the outcome I want is for a fix, if that means a replacement engine then great, we use the Yeti for most journeys and the Fabia is a commute car for the wife a de stress toy for me.

SO don't be too down on the VRs :rock:

Edited by James I
  • Like 1

Another pointless set of observations from somebody who has been down on the vRS from day 1. Has he ever owned a vRS or even driven one? I suspect not.

Just because there are a handful if people on this forum with oil consumption issues doesn't make it a crap engine. If I took sebonis boring diesel golf (or whatever it is that he drives) for a spin I think I'd come back and say "nice car shame about the crappy engine -sounds like a tractor, doesn't rev much and not much power". :-)

He's done it since day one. Plenty of cars use some oil, the ones that are using too much should be addressed of course. On the whole most are good. Mine is getting faster everyday. People don't normally shout about it when their cars are running fine

• Like 1

You can do as you think but I stand by my opinion that such an attitude is totally wrong when buying any car, not to mention a sports car with a pushed engine such as the 1.4 TSI. Doesn't it just sound a little too good to be true to get such performance from such a small engine and in that price while having no glitches at all? I mean it's not any incredibly innovative design after all.

You are damn right I had read lots of topics in vag forums, magazine reviews online or in printed form, and had also contacted a few owners. Of course I didn't initially google "Oil" but the first thing I read was that some drink oil. Then I investigated further to see to what extent they do. I did sort out the forum trolls (that's easy) and concluded that the situation is not worse or better than it actually came out to be. Before I even book a test-drive I had accepted half a litre of oil in 1000kms would be ok and as it happened, it's only using 200ml so no surprises there...

He's done it since day one. Plenty of cars use some oil, the ones that are using too much should be addressed of course. On the whole most are good. Mine is getting faster everyday. People don't normally shout about it when their cars are running fine

Agree mate, his whingeing is getting very old now he needs to change the record. Who goes onto a car forum for fans of a particular make/model (that he doesn't have) just to slag it off? Kind of like going out searching for a wasps nest to kick! ;-)

He should join the M3 forum and try telling them their engine is 'crap' because it uses too much fuel.......

• Like 1

He's done it since day one.

Actually there was an amusing (and shocking for me!) confession some time ago when I was repeatedly asking how come you post so much cr@p about the vRS if you've never had one? At least us, we're sharing owner experiences. And the reply I got was: "Well, I loved the vRS but the missus wouldn't let me have one no matter what..."

Now, do you still wonder where the trolling power comes from?? Nothing worse than having your wife decide what car you'll be driving imho. Many bad consequences. Trolling is the least of them I'd guess...

• Like 3

Actually there was an amusing (and shocking for me!) confession some time ago when I was repeatedly asking how come you post so much cr@p about the vRS if you've never had one? At least us, we're sharing owner experiences. And the reply I got was: "Well, I loved the vRS but the missus wouldn't let me have one no matter what..."

Now, do you still wonder where the trolling power comes from?? Nothing worse than having your wife decide what car you'll be driving imho. Many bad consequences. Trolling is the least of them I'd guess...

Yes I'd seen that too. We know who wears the trousers in that house :p As far as I'm concerned the only ones who can validly discuss it are either ones who've owned one or Skoda techs. The trolls should stay out of it. It only confuses fact with opinion and incorrect perceptions.

• Like 2

to be fair didnt he have a monte so he's justified, imho, to post about the fabia at will

im pretty ok for any1 to comment on anything they want to, after all why the heck not, none of us own the tinternet so if you know he's only joking then why let it bother you, chocolate gearbox any1??

i seem to remember being called a troll and i actually DO own 1 so go figure

• Like 1

Hmmm....

My first 1.4 TFSI engined car was a early 2010 Scirocco and used less than a litre in the first 18.5k.

Second is the vRS - now used 2 litres in 9000 miles.

On the 2nd (or was it 3rd?) service, they gave me a litre of oil to go with the car (odd I thought)...

The vRS CAME with a litre of oil in a nice little velcro bag with wiping cloths for the dipstick.

So they use oil - 0W30 is like water so it'll seep through the slightest gap easier than the 10W40 engines used 5 years ago, but thinner to reduce internal drag - hence lower FUEL consumption. Swings and roundabouts and 0W30 is proving a little tricky to find on garage forecourts (need to buy mine with a fuel card), so it might well have some 5W30 thrown in it having emptied the remains of the 2nd litre of 0W30 last week.

If mine was using the "upto" figure listed in the manual, i'd be getting the low oil message once a week and that WOULD be annoying (they'd find the keys slammed on the service managers desk with a few choice words). As it is, i've had it 3 times to date (and filled it once by my own choice), so about once a month. Annoying? A little. Job stopper? Not in my case.

When you get through spark plugs like some of you do litres of oil, then it gets very annoying as you can't exactly change them with parts from the 24hr garage at the bottom of the road....

Topped mine up at the weekend, only needed a dribble.

Used around 800 ml in 18 months but only have 5700 on the clock and have had the first service in the middle of it( where oil obviously changed)

Car run in 'normally'

Hope this helps.

You can do as you think but I stand by my opinion that such an attitude is totally wrong when buying any car

so by your logic you buy a car knowing its got faults, priceless

its like going to buy a pair of jeans with 1 leg longer than the other but its ok coz i googled it so i knew beforehand

Edited by the mad monk

so by your logic you buy a car knowing its got faults, priceless

its like going to buy a pair of jeans with 1 leg longer than the other but its ok coz i googled it so i knew beforehand

I know it may come as a shock but this forum is full of people who are reading around before they buy or people that ordered one while perfectly aware of the possible oil consumption but that didn't put them off. Come on be honest for once, apparently you don't want to spend another penny after purchase and that is what it's all about, tell us do you still fill with 95 ron?

And yes, googling something before you buy is tons better since you know what to expect and judge for yourself if that suits you rather than buying cars like you do apparently, "Oh, it has 4 wheels and it costs 12K, I'm buying it...!"

• Like 1