Will you be switching to Winter tyres this year?

Allams Skoda

Cold Weather Tyres  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be using Winter Tyres this year?

• Yes - I'll be changing my wheels and tyres
    • Yes - I'll be changing my tyres but keeping the standard wheels
    • No - (Never used Winter tyres before)
    • No - (Used Winter tyres before)

Not really a smart move in seriously cold and more so in freezing weather you would have a big imbalance between the available grip front and rear-a bit like tyres with good tread one end and bald the other on a wet day.

The car is designed to operate with a similar degree of grip front and rear. You could suffer uncomfortable or dangerous oversteer.

Winter tyres are designed to work better as the temp falls below 7c. Summer tyres lose efficiency at that level.

It is not an absolute on/off phenomenon but as the temp drops you would experience increasing imbalance.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks rockhopper.

Everyone should have a look at the videos, they describe exactly what we learn here in Norway,

all season tyres are not really fit for winter use. They provide a very false feeling of security,

while in fact they are almost just as bad as summertires on snow and ice.

I used all seasons on an Land Rover years ago, but after a month of snow I had to change

to "proper" wintertyres to avoid a coming heart attack. Too scary to drive on those, at least here

in Norway in the winter.

:whew:

Prepared to accept what you say ... but the UK is not Norway!

Prepared to accept what you say ... but the UK is not Norway!

But we still get snow and more importantly ice throughout the winter.

2 years ago in the heavy snow that fell one afternoon, there were at least 50 cars stuck on a hill near where I live, did I get stuck on std (Dunlop SP Sport 01 summer) tyres? no - but it was a close thing, fast forward to the snow we had last December / January, the same hill same amount of snow and same amount of cars getting stuck, the difference was I was no longer in my MKI PD130 Superb, but my brand new MKII 170CR Superb Combi - fitted with Nokian WR G2 205/55/16 winter tyres (the same size as was fitted on the MKI Superb) this time however I accelerated up the hill with no wheelspin at all.

I know driving style has a LOT to do with driving in difficult conditions, but why be right on the edge or very close to it, when there is an alternative?

I am converted to the benefits of winter tyres, if you intend to keep the car (or another they will fit onto) then it is actually cheaper, my Nokian's were cheaper than what the OE 225/40/18 cost to replace, there is almost no wear on them after 4,500 miles and to top it all off I was getting 2mpg more on the winter tyres!

So for me it was a win win situation :thumbup:

Hi All

Hello to everyone as this is my first post. I will be sticking with the standard dunlop sp summer tyres (which i believe are not the best in snow) however as the car is leased I really have no option as crazy as it seems the leasing companies dont want you going away from standard (even if you were to pay for them yourself),

Seems crazy to me as you have to be less danger to both yourself and others on the right rubber, also cant for the life of me understand why vehicle manufacturers supply 4WD vehicles with summer tyres fitted.

Think if the yeti proves to be less than adequate in the snow, next time might opt for something that comes with more suitable tyres on as standard Freelander maybe? as my wife is the main user and she needs something capable as her job entails house to house visits in & out of uncleared/gritted back lanes etc.

Time will tell I guess?.

Hi All

Hello to everyone as this is my first post. I will be sticking with the standard dunlop sp summer tyres (which i believe are not the best in snow) however as the car is leased I really have no option as crazy as it seems the leasing companies dont want you going away from standard (even if you were to pay for them yourself),

Seems crazy to me as you have to be less danger to both yourself and others on the right rubber, also cant for the life of me understand why vehicle manufacturers supply 4WD vehicles with summer tyres fitted.

Think if the yeti proves to be less than adequate in the snow, next time might opt for something that comes with more suitable tyres on as standard Freelander maybe? as my wife is the main user and she needs something capable as her job entails house to house visits in & out of uncleared/gritted back lanes etc.

Time will tell I guess?.

Could try a set of these if the worst comes to the worst re snow;

My link

TP

Why do people keep thinking that their car came equipped with SUMMER tyres? Trying going into a tyre dealer and asking for a summer tyre. Or look on one of the tyre manufacturers web sites for the same. Do you think you will find any?

All tyres fitted to your car are suitable for use all year around, however it is possible that they might not be as effective in times of cold weather. Currently in the UK we have no legal compulsion to fit a tyre MARKED as winter use, so the tyres fitted are perfectly legal.

As far as I am concerned we have the following available:

Tyres for all year use that "may" not be as effective below 7 degrees. (NORMAL)

Tyres for all year use that are designed for low temperatures/wet/snowy conditions. (ALL SEASON)

Tyres that are designed specifically for very cold/snow conditions, that may not be as effective above 7 degrees. (WINTER)

I managed through the whole of last winter on the Dunlop's the Yeti came fitted with. This included driving over Ceri Mountain on many mornings before the ploughs or gritters were out, with no problems.

With the cost involved, no.

But when the stock tyres need changing, then they will be replaced with winter tyres :yes:

I have snow chains, so I'm not worried what the winter will throw at me emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

I've got my Yokohama W.drive winter tyres on standard 17" Spizbergs tucked up in my garage ready to fit when the weather gets cooler.

I find the ride comfort on 17s more than acceptable, as winter tyres are generally softer riding than ordinary ones.

With the cost involved, no.

But when the stock tyres need changing, then they will be replaced with winter tyres :yes:

I have snow chains, so I'm not worried what the winter will throw at me emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

as long as you remember to put them on the back ;) then you will have the equivalent of a Rapid 136 :rofl:

oh would suggest vector 4seasons for all year use :yes:

TP

Why do people keep thinking that their car came equipped with SUMMER tyres? Trying going into a tyre dealer and asking for a summer tyre. Or look on one of the tyre manufacturers web sites for the same. Do you think you will find any?

All tyres fitted to your car are suitable for use all year around, however it is possible that they might not be as effective in times of cold weather. Currently in the UK we have no legal compulsion to fit a tyre MARKED as winter use, so the tyres fitted are perfectly legal.

As far as I am concerned we have the following available:

Tyres for all year use that "may" not be as effective below 7 degrees. (NORMAL)

Tyres for all year use that are designed for low temperatures/wet/snowy conditions. (ALL SEASON)

Tyres that are designed specifically for very cold/snow conditions, that may not be as effective above 7 degrees. (WINTER)

I managed through the whole of last winter on the Dunlop's the Yeti came fitted with. This included driving over Ceri Mountain on many mornings before the ploughs or gritters were out, with no problems.

Thanks for the reminder of the realities, Llanigraham.

Never even gave winters tyres a thought till I joined this forum - now I'm thinking will my 'summer' tyres be OK this winter. :'(

Well they got me through last winter OK so no reason why they cant do it again.

I'll still keep that shovel in the boot though. :)

Let's not forget that it's a question of safety versus cost and inconvenience. I think it is quie clear which side of the fence I am on - never mind the cost, I want the best set-up for my own sake.

While Graham has a skill set and understanding of vehicle dynamics,(which is possibly not un-matched, but certainly well above average)and can get away with driving all winter in difficult conditions - that is still not as good as a set of winter tyres. It is certainly not as safe.

This is not intended as a wagging finger - people can do as they see fit.

Let's not forget that it's a question of safety versus cost and inconvenience. I think it is quie clear which side of the fence I am on - never mind the cost, I want the best set-up for my own sake.

ditto! For me it's not so much a question of getting going (which many people focus on) but can I stop and corner effectively). Earlier this year we saw a 30 mile tailback on the M8 with hundreds of people forced to spend the night in their cars. At the same time as that was happening I happened to drive over the motorway and along a whole load of twisty unploughed back roads to get to my parents who were marooned at home. Never once did the Octavia lose its grip and never once did I feel stuck (until the snow came up over the axles but that's a different issue!).

As abergundsen has said it's a safety issue, and carrying a child in the car I'm just not prepared to gamble with lesser equipment when for the sake of a couple of hundred quid I can have the reassurance of knowing I have the best tools available.

I like to think of it in terms of footwear. When it snows I could go out in my smooth soled shoes and get away with it. But I know I'm much less likely to slip if I go out with a proper pair of boots on. Both work, just one does so much better. But plenty of people do seem to go out in training shoes in the snow and ice, and then moan about the council not doing enough to clear the footpaths. I tend to think of them in the same way that I do about people who say the government "must do something" and "other countries manage snow so why can't we?" etc etc :smirk:

Why do people keep thinking that their car came equipped with SUMMER tyres?

Perhaps because that is the phrase used to describe them -- eight times -- in the Yeti's own handbook.

Do you know what... This thread has exactly the same set of rules as a motorcycle clothing one.

That is to say there are certain specific things that are required.

BUT, they are directly related to which part of the world you are in, how much money you have, what type of vehicle you drive and what you use the vehicle for.

The golden rule is always Buy the best equipment, that you can afford, that will do the job you ask of it.

I live in the southeast of England, am not, what I would consider, wealthy, obviously I have a 4x4 yeti on standard tyres and I mostly drive the 7 miles back and forth to work on local roads and do the normal domestic type runs at the weekend, coupled with reasonably frequent longish motorway trips.

In an ideal world I would go and get a set of winter tyres on steel rims and fit them when the time comes.

As it is, If the weather is like last couple of years, I will be sensible and use the car if the journey is essential.

After all, it probably won't be me that causes the problem, but I could just be the victim of somebody else's?

Having used winter tyres for the past few winters I will be fitting them again this winter. Having said that my other half was stuck on the A3 for about 8 hours last winter because other people got stuck on a hill and blocked the road. I found it really annoying that those who did not prepare for the weather messed things up for those that did.

Ian

Just a bit curious as to everyones thoughts on Winter tyres.

I went to a Winter tyre event held by a tyre manufacture recently and they certainly made a strong point for the benefits of winter tyres, also gave an extremely impressive demonstation. I knew winter tyres worked well but not the extent that they proved.

Driving a BMW up a ski slope for example was hugely impressive in my opinion!

Hi James, I am getting my Yeti Elegance 170 4x4 in October I hope. Been thinking about winters after reading discussins on forum - still not sure. However, if a BMW with winters can go up a ski slope then maybe I should!! Though I suppose it depends what model of BMW you are talking about...... could you enlighten please? Bet it wasn't a 318 or 320.....they are garage jobs for 3-4 months around here!

It was a 120i.

I would much rather have a 2wd vehicle with winter tyres than a 4WD on summers, as the 4x4 will get itself moving fine but unlike the 2wd on winters it won't stop easily....

Given the price of winter tyres and the wear you save on your summer tyres, the cost evens out as your summer tyres will last a lot longer as they don't get shredded in the cold weather.

Despite not having a yeti I thought I would wade in with my opinion.

Last year I had great difficulty in driving the 30ft from the end of my drive to the road thanks to slight incline on the shared driveway outside my house being covered in snow. My job also leads my to driving all over the place at short notice and often to out of the way places such as farms, quarries as well as more normal locations. Having got hold of a spare set of elegance alloys I am planning on getting a set of tyres as soon as my local friendly garage can get hold of some for me.

I see winter tyres as offering more chance of getting to and from these sort of sites than with the normal (summer) tyres I have on the car.

I have noticed in the past when it is cold how much worse the performance of the tyres are compared to summer time.

I managed through the whole of last winter on the Dunlop's the Yeti came fitted with. This included driving over Ceri Mountain on many mornings before the ploughs or gritters were out, with no problems

That's reasurring to know.

I think if you go to almost any tyre dealer you will find Dunlop sp sport 01's referred to as summer tyres.the following link proves this without doubt as you see it clearly designated as a summer tyre

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=78754636.110.18009&typ=R-153525&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Quer=50&Felge=17&Load=94&Speed=W&weiter=20&Ang_pro_Seite=10&sort_by=brand&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So

I managed in Northumberland last winter on the standard Dunlops and they were fine, although I did drive at a significantly lower speed. I effectively tip toed through winter. I know parts of Durham can be worse than the weather we had last year but not by much. However that does not mean to say that they are as good as winters, that would clearly be wrong.

With regards to calling tyres "summer or winter". Mine will need to be replaced shortly as they are worn down and pretty much all of the online tyre companies refer to summer or winter tyres. Even the majors do the same. The onset of Winter Tyres has brought this distinction about and whereas no one may have referred to standard tyres as summer tyres in the past they certainly do now.

I would much rather have a 2wd vehicle with winter tyres than a 4WD on summers, as the 4x4 will get itself moving fine but unlike the 2wd on winters it won't stop easily....

+1 :thumbup:

With regards to calling tyres "summer or winter". Mine will need to be replaced shortly as they are worn down and pretty much all of the online tyre companies refer to summer or winter tyres. Even the majors do the same. The onset of Winter Tyres has brought this distinction about and whereas no one may have referred to standard tyres as summer tyres in the past they certainly do now.

Very well put! :thumbup:

The Company I use for our Company cars now differentiates, which they didn't even 18 months ago; as shown here with the search for yeti sized tyres;- http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/tyre-search-results-1.php

EdmundBlackadder, on 26 September 2011 - 15:11, said:

I managed in Northumberland last winter on the standard Dunlops and they were fine, although I did drive at a significantly lower speed. I effectively tip toed through winter. I know parts of Durham can be worse than the weather we had last year but not by much. However that does not mean to say that they are as good as winters, that would clearly be wrong.

This is our 1st winter in the yeti and indeed 1st time we have owned a 4x4 my wife is the main user,she uses it for her work which involves a lot of back streets and untreated roads as she does her house calls, last year she struggled in her little peugeot and got stuck on more than one occasion that's the main reason we went for the yeti she is always carefull and reduces her speed according to the conditions.

Perhaps i am being a bit paronoid as i would imagine a 4x4 is still going to better than a standaed vehicle but given the choice I would gladly pay to have winter tyres fitted for the peace of mind alone.

Edited by chopster

Why do people keep thinking that their car came equipped with SUMMER tyres?

You're nothing if not consistent ;-)

I read that Continental advise that if only one tyre is to be used all year round and the choice is between tyres optimised for use in higher ambient temperatures and those optimised for use in lower ambient temperatures then it is safer to choose the latter. That is, they are also suitable for all year round use.