Show us your winter wheels

My message wasn't in reply to you specifically and didn't quote you as such but on the following points...

Not sure what you mean by trying to make you skoda look like an Audi i dont think that was discussed just that the small wheels doesnt look as good.

Mine are Audi alloys hence Audi. Has come up before with people having VW and Audi badges on car the suggestion of being ashamed of it being Skoda etc.

If i owned a car that had 16" wheels as standard then i wouldnt mind it but a VRS just looks silly on 16" alloys. Black steel wheels with black tyres even with smaller rims dont look as small as the same size alloys IMO as everything is black so it disguises the rim size somewhat.

They look similar size because 16" wheels 205/55/16 are almost the same diameter as 225/40/18's only 0.53cm less. Alloys or not they will fill the wheel arch almost exactly the same. Side walls are only 2.28cm taller which is less than 1 inch.

A work collegue actually got his winter tyres to fit his original rims on his BMW for the same price as i paid for smaller winters and steel wheels on my BMW so it can be done at no extra cost. Considering his rear tyres were 255 sections and he got the 4 of them for £540 i think thats pretty good.

Some people can get better deals/discounts over others as did I with my alloys as said they cost me less than 2nd hand steelies for brand new Audi alloys hence the decision. But in general while I am sure I can find some winters that size for £540 as a normal person shopping around I doubt I could get good quality ones with the correct speed/load ratings that my car requires as per its type approval. But as I said he may have had the ability to get them cheaper than the average Joe. If not surly he didn't put budget winters on an M3? As has been covered here and as per the manufacturers recommendations the smaller wheel size is used giving more PSI in weight on the ground by way of a smaller contact patch which is beneficial in snow/icy conditions to improve traction making the car heavier on its feet so to speak, for me this is the main reason to go for the smaller ones the practicality of it.

I like mine, I didn't like them when I got them thought they would not suit the car at all and would have preferred the look of steelies with no trims but as said they were cheaper and once on I actually like them so bonus. I don't feel they look tiny on the car either just 205/55/16's on stock suspension if it was lower would look a lot better though:

Winter%2520Wheels%2520F-L.jpg

I love your garage. Can you come round and tidy mine out please so i have the room to store more than a tin of WD40.

Looks like it's carpeted, too. How the other half live!

Actually I reckon he must be keeping his wheels in the lounge...

Painted walls, carpet, covered alternative wheels and tyres in a pristine garage.............posh bugger...........Im actually planning converting my garage into another bedroom / study but if mine looked as good as yours all i would need do is chuck a bed and computer desk in.

Sorry I missed all those posts a few pages ago. It is a garage in work that I use. I call it a garage as essentially that's what it is. Carpeted bit is a make shift changing room at the end of it. In its former life it was a train service garage hence you can still see railway lines on floor. So just a BIG garage as its all divided up now. Keeps my bike and some of my excess junk nice and dry/warm especially during the winter. I would love to have a garage of my own need to move soon and on the hunt but I fear with my budget I will be lucky to get a drive way!

Well got round to doing mine today as if i don't do it today i don't know when i will get chance as i am moving house in the next couple of weeks.

18's All wrapped up for winter:

2012-11-18133117.jpg

Stored on the tree:

2012-11-18145008.jpg

16's on my car with Avon Ice Touring ST's (their 3rd winter on my car):

2012-11-18151837.jpg

• Like 1

Well got round to doing mine today as if i don't do it today i don't know when i will get chance as i am moving house in the next couple of weeks.

18's All wrapped up for winter:

2012-11-18133117.jpg

Nice copy cat covers :p I like putting wee winter alloys on now as it's like Christmas around March time when they get taken off and the good ones go back on transforming the car back to its former glory I can't wait :D

Nice copy cat covers :p I like putting wee winter alloys on now as it's like Christmas around March time when they get taken off and the good ones go back on transforming the car back to its former glory I can't wait :D

I felt like that last year. Couldn't wait to get my proper alloys back on. Not bothering this year though!

I felt like that last year. Couldn't wait to get my proper alloys back on. Not bothering this year though!

I had my winters on for the first time in about June this year during the alloy refurb disaster episode! Was so pleased to get them back on even though I was not 100% happy with them in the end. Next stone chip on an alloy will friggin stay on it tbh!

What mud flaps have you got on that, I've always fancied some but Skoda don't do them for the Scout.

These are a popular choice for winter wheels and look good on the Scout. I had these on my vRS and looked alright although a bit small.

they're standard pre-fl mud-flaps adjusted and cut to fit the scout - follow these handy guides:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/141605-octavia-scout-09-mudflaps-front/

hmmm, there's another one for the rear but can't find it...

Always seem to be loads of the audi alloys that I have on ebay at pretty good prices, look a bit pinched in on the back but 15mm spacers do the trick!

• Like 1

they're standard pre-fl mud-flaps adjusted and cut to fit the scout - follow these handy guides:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/141605-octavia-scout-09-mudflaps-front/

hmmm, there's another one for the rear but can't find it...

Always seem to be loads of the audi alloys that I have on ebay at pretty good prices, look a bit pinched in on the back but 15mm spacers do the trick!

I used 15mm spacers with my winters too.

Plain steels fitted with vredestein snowtrac 3's they seem pretty good up to now eBay bargain although I miss the 18s and Goodyear assy's.

Henry checks I've tightened the studs enough

4uru7uda.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think this forum should be renamed garage envy. Looks like a very nice garage sparky750. Double glazing, pictures on the wall.. I have seen living rooms that aren't as good!

I think this forum should be renamed garage envy. Looks like a very nice garage sparky750. Double glazing, pictures on the wall.. I have seen living rooms that aren't as good!

Lol, cheers it was built as a dependant living bungalow my parents have been eyeing it up for a while now but after the first winter of not having to deice cars in the mornings they don't stand a chance lol

Lol, cheers it was built as a dependant living bungalow my parents have been eyeing it up for a while now but after the first winter of not having to deice cars in the mornings they don't stand a chance lol

Big fancy garage or parents living with you.....hhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not much of a descision that one.

You're probably right - I paid £650 for them, moved home and our winter never really happened last year, so they've been parked in the basement.

Suspect I'll stick them on EBay for a week..... Then end up dropping them as you suggest! :-(

Blurry blackberry pic:

8216354361_3128b9018d_c.jpg

Paint code 8AU with a satin clearcoat.

New car should be built now so I'm just waiting on a delivery date - guess it might just be late December or more likely early Jan. :)

• Like 1

Today was Winters day for Wardy....

Audi TT Mk2 wheel (not sure if it has a proper name!) 8J ET47 with Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme in 225/45/17 94V flavour.

It is nice to have a bit more ride compliance in the winter months :) - stance works better with the wider wheel and lower offset on my suspension I reckon too.

Suspension hadn't quite settled by this point, plus there was still a pair of 18s attached to the nearside :D

offside.jpg

stance.jpg

• Like 1

Now thats a proper winter alloy. Actually i would use them all year. What are your tyres and how much?

Goodyear UltraGrip Performance2 - 225/40R18 92V XL :)

Bought these a year ago and had them on my neptunes last winter - cost £740. :o

Think tyre cost is probably the only snag with those. Great looking wheel and pretty rare too. Originally a Leon wheel from the accessories range IIRC?

Yes. They originally had "seat sport" embossed on them - that was removed as part of the refurb.

It's an ideal wheel for an octavia as its 7.5x18" ET51 like a neptune/zenith but only 11.2kg where a neptune is somewhere around 13.5kg, plus it's made by BBS Germany so top quality.

Google the part number 5P0071493 (polished version) or 5P0071492 (painted version) - they're not expensive.

Oh, and they're super-easy to clean too.. :)