Warning: Fabia Door Leaks

whipped the door card to find the bottom of the door carrier expanded and split the seal AGAIN:angry:

brain wave thought id try and drill and stick some self tappers through just above the bottom(the indentation just above) and voila actually pulled the bottom together pretty well,pee'd out loads of water as it was tightening slowly 1 by 1 across the bottom as id put about 7 self tappers in lol,left to dry for about 15 mins then ran another seal just under and around the screws,leaving the door card off for a week or so this time so i can keep an eye on it more,fingers crossed its sorted for the autumn/winter coming

• 2 weeks later...

Checked again over the past day or so to see another puddle sat on the rubber :devil:

Even checking the drainage holes and they seemed to be dryish?

Why does the rain keep filling up the carrier and splitting the seal all the time?

Anymore suggestions please?

37 minutes ago, toosmiles said:

Checked again over the past day or so to see another puddle sat on the rubber :devil:

Even checking the drainage holes and they seemed to be dryish?

Why does the rain keep filling up the carrier and splitting the seal all the time?

Anymore suggestions please?

I'm interested in what you did when you resealed the auxillary tray? When I've had to reseal I've pulled the tray gently away and applied insane amounts of sealant in the gap, in one pass, from over half way up one side of the tray, down, across the bottom and up the other side. I've also made sure that there is enough sealant to fill past the bolt holes. When I tighten the bolts up, I do so slowly a few turns and then the next one. Sealant squishes out everywhere (including the bolt holes).. By the time I've finished I've had to wipe away almost a quarter of a tube. I've then left it two days with no water (covered the car, did it in summer).

50 minutes ago, pyromorph said:

I'm interested in what you did when you resealed the auxillary tray? When I've had to reseal I've pulled the tray gently away and applied insane amounts of sealant in the gap, in one pass, from over half way up one side of the tray, down, across the bottom and up the other side. I've also made sure that there is enough sealant to fill past the bolt holes. When I tighten the bolts up, I do so slowly a few turns and then the next one. Sealant squishes out everywhere (including the bolt holes).. By the time I've finished I've had to wipe away almost a quarter of a tube. I've then left it two days with no water (covered the car, did it in summer).

if i remember last time before i self tappers on it i pulled upas much as i could and fired up some silicone before tightening up,ive got the rivets on mine,ill try and get a pic of the mess its made lol

1 hour ago, toosmiles said:

Plastered on but there's a soggy patch an inch wide,possibly a water bubble :sweat:

20180922_114957.jpg

Did you run any of that behind the tray on the inside edge where the original seal is? If you've applied the sealant on the outside but it doesn't go around the edge of the tray and up the back, that might be why you've got a leak. It's going to be a pig to remove the sealant (if it's decent stuff). I'd also recommend (if you do it again) to use IPA to clean the door panel and left to dry before applying the sealant just in case you've got bonding issues.

Also, you mentioned yours was riveted. Have you replaced them with self-tapping screws?

I put the trigger gun right up against the gap and went very slowly around, going quite high up either side. I then ran my finger (dipped in a little fairy liquid) around gently smoothing and pushing slightly into the gap. I have done 3 doors on two Fabias....and all still hopefully OK.

• Like 1

I sealed along the door rubber in the rear no more problems, removed the rear window handles so that no one would open the windows not that we usually have anyone in the back seat. £5 for a tube of black exterior mastic been good for 5yrs.

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 23:03, king_o said:

I put the trigger gun right up against the gap and went very slowly around, going quite high up either side. I then ran my finger (dipped in a little fairy liquid) around gently smoothing and pushing slightly into the gap. I have done 3 doors on two Fabias....and all still hopefully OK.

Exactly as the TPI instructed to repair the issue, perfect.

On 22/09/2018 at 13:56, pyromorph said:

Did you run any of that behind the tray on the inside edge where the original seal is? If you've applied the sealant on the outside but it doesn't go around the edge of the tray and up the back, that might be why you've got a leak. It's going to be a pig to remove the sealant (if it's decent stuff). I'd also recommend (if you do it again) to use IPA to clean the door panel and left to dry before applying the sealant just in case you've got bonding issues.

Also, you mentioned yours was riveted. Have you replaced them with self-tapping screws?

Tech1e will possibly confirm what Skoda tech told me. If riveted ,they seal over the edges. If screwed, they replace the seal and seal inside.

• 2 weeks later...

Would recommend when you have the plate out, replace the black sealing strip with something new, I used a sealing strip for windows. My old black sealing strip was like a sponge, which caused a leak in my sealant more than once until I replaced the sealant strip under the plate :)

• 8 months later...

Hi All

I have a 54 plate Fabia 19TDI. been a great car and read many good things about them.   but a lot is said about the leaking seals,   i cured mine overnight and never had a problem since.

I took the panel off and took of the window carrier,   mine was riveted on,   cleaned all the old seal off and put a nice thick bead of silicon sealer in place of it and left it overnight to set.

Next morning i put the carrier back on the door using a couple  of the original holes just to line it up, i just put nail punches in to hold it,   I then drilled smaller holes next to the original big rivet holes and used self tappers all round,

its been 18 months now since i did it and its never leaked in

3 hours ago, dave0885 said:

Hi All

I have a 54 plate Fabia 19TDI. been a great car and read many good things about them.   but a lot is said about the leaking seals,   i cured mine overnight and never had a problem since.

I took the panel off and took of the window carrier,   mine was riveted on,   cleaned all the old seal off and put a nice thick bead of silicon sealer in place of it and left it overnight to set.

Next morning i put the carrier back on the door using a couple  of the original holes just to line it up, i just put nail punches in to hold it,   I then drilled smaller holes next to the original big rivet holes and used self tappers all round,

its been 18 months now since i did it and its never leaked in

Did you seal the original rivet holes up with something?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi - have this issue on my MKI Fabia, water in the footwells. Appreciate there's a lot of guidance on how to DIY it, but am short on time and being honest, inclination and skills. Has anyone used a garage in Swindon (trouble with going further afield given lockdown) to repair this successfully?

And, if you have had it done full stop and you wouldn't mind saying, how much did it cost per door?

Thanks all - if this should be in a different thread please let me know.

Hello Hugh,

I think your best bet is either going to an actual Skoda dealership which will be pricey or speaking to a local mechanic. As there are plenty of videos online I would show them to a mechanic because it is an easy job and requires only a handful of tools.

Here are some videos:

Good - Good - Great - The last one takes a bit more time, the first two are what I have done and still holding up.

I recommend using Plumbers Gold as a sealant.

"If you want something done, and you want it done well you do it yourself" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Tui 

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

On 10/03/2021 at 17:54, KingTui said:

Hello Hugh,

I think your best bet is either going to an actual Skoda dealership which will be pricey or speaking to a local mechanic. As there are plenty of videos online I would show them to a mechanic because it is an easy job and requires only a handful of tools.

Here are some videos:

Good - Good - Great - The last one takes a bit more time, the first two are what I have done and still holding up.

I recommend using Plumbers Gold as a sealant.

"If you want something done, and you want it done well you do it yourself" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Tui 

Hi Tui - thanks for taking the time to provide such a helpful response and including the videos. I'm reluctant to pay main dealer labour rates for the job so it's either an independent or a DIY job.

Will give the videos another watch and decide...

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson :)

Cheers

Hugh

I just built up the door seal with gaffer tape, effective, cheap and can be done quickly.

It stops the leaks and saves time, time you can then spend sorting out electrical gremlins.

door leak.jpg

• Like 1