winter tires

orafus

Hi All,

There's a lot of talk about winter tires on the site. Our car before the VRS was a corsa. We never found the need for winter tires as it coped with most conditions (being small, light and front wheel drive). However, what with the VRS having much lower profile tires I was wondering if winter tires are a necessity or something that it is just handy to have. We don't commute by car (so there's no real stress about getting the car out on a winters day) but do travel a fair bit at weekends. And perhaps most important of all - (Dum da dum dum) we live in Scotland so the weather is bound to be dreadful at some point.

THis will be the first winter with the VRS so opinions from both camps would be welcome.

thanks

Chris.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

My predictions is more winters and more poor conditions.

But remember that winter tyres is not about snow and ice. It's about general conditions below 5degrees' below which normal road or summer tyres become less effective.

Given your location I'd suggest a set of 15" steel rims and a set of ... ha now the catch, there are thousands of posts on tyres and today we just rolled out a new tyres forum, much of a muchness on winter tyres, personally I use a set of conti's can't recall the model, it's just what they had in stock. Which is also a pita as they are 18's and 235, so not much use in snow, but then the 4x4 counterbalances that, but cannot defeat the laws of physics.

The search box above, tap in winter tyres should net you a good starting set of threads.

It's below 7 degrees when winter tyres become effective and I would suggest 16'' alloys as no benefit to going smaller other than slightly cheaper tyres.

Edited by Guest

My predictions is more winters and more poor conditions.

But remember that winter tyres is not about snow and ice. It's about general conditions below 5degrees' below which normal road or summer tyres become less effective.

Given your location I'd suggest a set of 15" steel rims and a set of ... ha now the catch, there are thousands of posts on tyres and today we just rolled out a new tyres forum, much of a muchness on winter tyres, personally I use a set of conti's can't recall the model, it's just what they had in stock. Which is also a pita as they are 18's and 235, so not much use in snow, but then the 4x4 counterbalances that, but cannot defeat the laws of physics.

The search box above, tap in winter tyres should net you a good starting set of threads.

I don't think 15" fits over the oversized brakes on a VRS !!

I don't think 15" fits over the oversized brakes on a VRS !!

They don't! Forgot to mention that in my first post!

16" wheels just fit over the front caliper:

IMG_2969a.jpg

In answer to the original question I didn't find the VRS particulary bad last winter on "summer" tyres but I do live on the South Coast where we only had a couple of weeks of winter weather.

Previously I did live in NE England (but not out in the sticks) and never really considered getting winter tyres. To be honest if the weather was so bad that the gritters and snow ploughs hadn't cleared it I thought very carefully before travelling and stuck to main roads

I can honestly say that I've never noticed any degradation in the dry grip of standard tyres in sub zero conditions over 30 years of driving, I appreciate it may be measurable but that is my experience.

I guess its a question of personal choice and I appreciate a lot of drivers have to drive in very poor conditions which I try and avoid as a far as possible, but I'm unconvinced that winter tyres are worth the bother and expense, in my circumstances at least.

Do the police etc fit them routinely?

Edited by juan27

In answer to the original question I didn't find the VRS particulary bad last winter on "summer" tyres but I do live on the South Coast where we only had a couple of weeks of winter weather.

Previously I did live in NE England (but not out in the sticks) and never really considered getting winter tyres. To be honest if the weather was so bad that the gritters and snow ploughs hadn't cleared it I thought very carefully before travelling and stuck to main roads

I can honestly say that I've never noticed any degradation in the dry grip of standard tyres in sub zero conditions over 30 years of driving, I appreciate it may be measurable but that is my experience.

I guess its a question of personal choice and I appreciate a lot of drivers have to drive in very poor conditions which I try and avoid as a far as possible, but I'm unconvinced that winter tyres are worth the bother and expense, in my circumstances at least.

Do the police etc fit them routinely?

Not really an expense as you're always going to have to spend money on new tyres at some stage and whilst you have winter tyres on you're not incurring wear on your normal tyres.

Hi All,

There's a lot of talk about winter tires on the site. Our car before the VRS was a corsa. We never found the need for winter tires as it coped with most conditions (being small, light and front wheel drive). However, what with the VRS having much lower profile tires I was wondering if winter tires are a necessity or something that it is just handy to have. We don't commute by car (so there's no real stress about getting the car out on a winters day) but do travel a fair bit at weekends. And perhaps most important of all - (Dum da dum dum) we live in Scotland so the weather is bound to be dreadful at some point.

THis will be the first winter with the VRS so opinions from both camps would be welcome.

thanks

Chris.

Hi Chris

Where abouts in Scotland are you?

I got a set of 16" VW Transporter wheels off fleabay for the wife's VRS at the beginning of the year and put a full set of Continental WinterContact 205x55x16 tyres on. They made such a difference, I bit the bullet and splashed out on the same tyres for my Astravan. To me, they were well worth the initial expense.

When I got the tyres, they were approx £130 each on the web plus delivery and fitting. I just happened to call my local KwikFit and the guy said he would get some in for me the next day (Saturday). They were just over £60 fitted on loose wheels for the VRS and just over £70 fitted for the van as they had to charge a fitting fee because the wheels were on the van - still a very good deal.

I have since bought a spare set of wheels for the van and got a full set of Falken 452's fitted for the summer - they are on now and seem to be very good in dry and wet and they are very quiet compared to the crappy Bridgestones that were on it.

If you can afford it, I would recommend getting winter tyres. They definately increase safety as long as you drive according to the road and weather conditions.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by FatblokeVRS

Hi All,

thanks

Chris.

I live in Tomatin near the top of Slocht about 1000ft . I have the Octy Scout FL and the last 2 winters which were severe, I have had no problems( I even have a bit of an incline up my road) my tyres are Dunlop Sport and they are OK . Since I don't have to go out to work I cannot justify, or do I need 2 sets of tyres.Having the AWD is probably the reason. So I can understand if I had 2 WD it might be a different story.

P.S I do have snow socks in the boot, but have never had to use them

Edited by BOBW

Hey FatblokeVRS. I'm looking for a cheap place that'll supply and fit winter tyres. Would you be able to supply me with the address and tel number of your local kwik fit centre?

Edited by Statto

Hi everyone,

thanks to you all for the varying opinions on the tires/tyres (which is right? :-) )

I appreciate all the advice and will have a think about what course to take,

cheers

Chris.

Not really an expense as you're always going to have to spend money on new tyres at some stage and whilst you have winter tyres on you're not incurring wear on your normal tyres.

Extra set of wheels or paying a tyre fitter to swap 4 tyres twice a year is an expense surely?

Edited by juan27

Extra set of wheels or paying a tyre fitter to swap 4 tyres twice a year is an expense surely?

Hi Juan,

Yes you're right, there will be an added expense if you swap all 4 tyres twice a year but this is maybe not the case if you buy a set of winter wheels. A new steel wheel will be approx £50 to buy but winter tyres, as they are smaller, can be had for less than the cost of standard fit summer tyres, so although you have to fork out extra for 4 wheels the tyres you're using in the winter can be cheaper than the summer ones you already have fitted. Wearing out cheaper winter tyres for 4-5 months through the winter can help to offset wearing out more expensive summer rubber. There will be an initial outlay on a second set of wheels and tyres but the more winters you use them the greater the saving and the more likely it'll end us as a cost-neutral exercise.

My Scout has 225/55R17 tyres fittes as standard but the winter tyres I have are 205/55R16 and fitting like for like quality I find the winter rubber is a bit cheaper. ...... and on top of the improved grip and safety I also get to spare my alloys all the corrosive salt through the worst of the winter months :thumbup:

An extra set of wheels can be acquired relatively cheaply; paid £165 for mine.

An extra set of wheels can be acquired relatively cheaply; paid £165 for mine.

Paid£150 for a set of Audi alloys on fleabay for my winters, and they came with 3 good (+1 not so good) Conti Sport 2's which I should be able to sell on to get maybe a third of my outlay back. All in all with winter tyres around 20% cheaper than summers I should break even in a year or so.

Edited by Anddenton

My VRs was undriveable on summer tyres last winter so i bit the bullet and bought a set of steelies with goodyear winter tyres from mytyres, the difference is night and day and anyone who says winter tyres are unnecessary should try them for themselves.

Paul

Paid£150 for a set of Audi alloys on fleabay for my winters, and they came with 3 good (+1 not so good) Conti Sport 2's which I should be able to sell on to get maybe a third of my outlay back. All in all with winter tyres around 20% cheaper than summers I should break even in a year or so.

Mine came with 3 reasonable tyres on but to be honest I could not be ar5ed to sell on

I live in Tomatin near the top of Slocht about 1000ft . I have the Octy Scout FL and the last 2 winters which were severe, I have had no problems( I even have a bit of an incline up my road) my tyres are Dunlop Sport and they are OK . Since I don't have to go out to work I cannot justify, or do I need 2 sets of tyres.Having the AWD is probably the reason. So I can understand if I had 2 WD it might be a different story.

P.S I do have snow socks in the boot, but have never had to use them

Referring to 4WD as a means of increasing winter grip is a popular misconception (although some types of 4WD might get you going more easily). As far as safety is concerned though one needs to be able to stop and change direction effectively and in that sense 4WD will not help, not even a little bit.

Edited by TsvRS