Show us your Yeti winter wheels

Jock, are your tyres facing the right direction? I don't know of any directional tyres where the chevron pattern points backwards at the top of the wheel.

There should be a [ROTATION=> marking on the sidewall somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jock, are your tyres facing the right direction? I don't know of any directional tyres where the chevron pattern points backwards at the top of the wheel.

There should be a [ROTATION=> marking on the sidewall somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well spotted that man! 

There seems to a broad arrow on the sidewall from 2 o'clock round to about 6 o'clock (as photo'd).  Seems to be pointing backwards.

Worth checking this out Jock.

Guy

Just put dad's new Steel wheels on his Yeti yesterday 

It's his 1st year with an L&K 170 Yeti and we've gone for 16" Genuine Steel wheels, with Goodyear Wrangler (yes, 4x4 tyres i know) but they of course are M&S marked too - and as he does get onto a few farm tracks here and there, i think they'll be a good choice

Wheels were £211.20 from dealer - and tyres were priced matched to Camskill by Halfords autocentres - at £90 each inc fitting. 

We went for the size recommended in the fuel cap, of 215/60/16 - not the 205/55/16 that Skoda dealer will recommend as i felt this was too much of a difference in rolling radius from the 225/50/17 that was originally fitted.

I've ordered centre VW caps from SkodaParts so will post a pic when they arrive. 

Al. 

A practical question, please, experts:  Is the wheel of the spare wheel kit the same size as the OE 16 inch wheel (ie 6J 16)?  If so I need buy only 3 extra wheels, and use a winter as summer spare and vice versa.  (Haven't got the FL yet, obviously, but if it arrives in Feb will need to be ready from Day 1 or 2).

A practical question, please, experts:  Is the wheel of the spare wheel kit the same size as the OE 16 inch wheel (ie 6J 16)?  If so I need buy only 3 extra wheels, and use a winter as summer spare and vice versa.  (Haven't got the FL yet, obviously, but if it arrives in Feb will need to be ready from Day 1 or 2).

Yes you can use 6Jx16 ET50 rims with 205/55 R16 winter tyres.

If however you wish to run 215/60 R16 winters your best advised to use 7Jx16 ET45 rims instead; makes the wider tyre more stable.

Also note 4x4 versions of the Monster need 94 load rating, 2wd can get away with 91.

Oh final point a 205/55 or 215/60 tyre will not fit under the false floor as comfortable as the 195/60 sized spare tyre.

Regards,

TP

• Like 1

Thanks, TP.  So you're saying that the spare wheel rim is a 6Jx16 ET50?  

As someone else mentioned earlier, the 205/55 R16 has a significantly smaller rolling radius than the standard summer tyre;  I guess to leave room for snow chains.  What if anything would be wrong on running 205/60 R16 winter tyres on 6J rims?  (on a 1.2 2wd manual) Blackcircles.com have a choice of 3 brands.  There seem to be 2 manufacturer's size recommendations, and this would more or less split the difference.  (Boot floor problem noted - sounds manageable.)

Oh all this talk of winters has reminded me on regard a need to decide what to do with the new Octy III.

Current Yeti 7Jx16 ET45 steel rims will fit with a change to 205/55 tyres but they are not an approved rim size; frustratingly the 6Jx16 ET50 is :doh: mind.

Therefore I'm probably going to be looking to sell my winter wheels as a package, with the Rif wheel trims included, in a month or two's time.

Tyres are 215/60 R16 99H XL Hankook W310 with about 6.5mm of tread left by the time I'm ready to move them on.

So if they are of interest to anyone for early next year let me know by PM.

TP

Well spotted that man! 

There seems to a broad arrow on the sidewall from 2 o'clock round to about 6 o'clock (as photo'd).  Seems to be pointing backwards.

Worth checking this out Jock.

Guy

This happened to me when I got my winters on steels from MyTyres, all mounted in the same orientation, so only correct on one side of the car, had to get a local tyre shop to flip two of them. Seems quite a lot of people don't know about Unidirectional tyres, see page 220 of the Yeti manual.

Purely due to vanity reasons*   :blush: , I've just put up TIBET II's steel wheels, Nankang SV-2 and Rif wheel trims for sale:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/295282-yeti-steel-wheels-winter-tyres-and-trims/

Matterhorns are staying on for the winter months, shod with some rather nice Nokian WR D3s..... :happy:

[Pics to follow]

Glad I read this thread - put my Winter's on Saturday afternoon, read the posts about directional tyres, checked the wheels and the front ones were on the wrong way round!!!

Had to go out at 7:30 this morning (Sunday) to change them round cos my son is borrowing the car for the next coupla weeks (probably a lot longer!)

Changing the wheels was a piece of cake but what a pain taking those plastic wheel nut covers off!

• Like 1

Just about to spring for some winters and thought I'd check in here first - quoted £750 or so for wheels and Uniroyals by dealer.  Thinking that's a little on the steep side - am I wrong?

Try Rainworth Skoda ,under £500 delivered hankooks and steels

Just spoken to Rainworth Skoda this morning, the deal mentioned above is correct, 7Jx16 wheels 205/16 tyres, under £500. The only problem is they can't get the wheels delivered from VAG warehouse,the guy I spoke to was pulling his hair out, as several people have wanted the same deal.

Yes that's steep. Mytyres will ship you a set of 4 brand new steels and various tyres for between £85 and £160 per wheel and tyre combination (£120 for WRD3s). £750 is Richard Turpin territory.

Edited by dcl5ad

Just spoken to Rainworth Skoda this morning, the deal mentioned above is correct, 7Jx16 wheels 205/16 tyres, under £500. The only problem is they can't get the wheels delivered from VAG warehouse,the guy I spoke to was pulling his hair out, as several people have wanted the same deal.

Other problem is, 205/55 is the wrong size! 

There's a quite a big difference between that, and the 215/60 that's listed inside the filler-cap! - That's over 5% difference... (770 vs 811 rev's / mile) 

Al.