Stuck Filler Flap

speedsport

Went to fill up today, could I get the filler flap to open? Pushed gently as usual on the trailing edge, nothing moved. Tried locking the car & unlocking it again, (several times) still wouldn't open. Clearly no sound from the solenoid (or whatever locks/unlocks it).

Gave up & drove to my Skoda dealer. Guess what. It worked perfectly!

Doh! :'(

Went to fill up today, could I get the filler flap to open? Pushed gently as usual on the trailing edge, nothing moved. Tried locking the car & unlocking it again, (several times) still wouldn't open. Clearly no sound from the solenoid (or whatever locks/unlocks it).

Gave up & drove to my Skoda dealer. Guess what. It worked perfectly!

Doh! :'(

had this happen on or audi and in that instance i left the hand brake off and left it in gear ;)

It started happening to mine a couple of weeks ago (Oct 59 & 22000 miles). I find that locking and unlocking it again does the trick. Bit of a nuisance but don't want to trek to dealer. Will probably have to eventually, but I just know it won't do it when I'm there.

I now realise that the thing hadn't been locking/unlocking with the rest of the car for a week or so prior to my unsuccessful attempt to fill up. I knew that there was a different sound when using the remote, but couldn't figure out what it was that was different.

I now know that it was simply that there was no clunk from the filler flap lock each time I pressed the remote.

It now seems to be working ok again, so fingers crossed that whatever was wrong has now correceted itself. :wonder:

• 7 months later...

Took my Sept 2009 Yeti to Lookers in Stockport. Said they had never heard of this problem and later said it had been rectified with lubrication. It had not and still intermitently sticks. I think it is electronic and needs a dealer who knows what they are doing!

Had this on my last Yeti and couldn't be bothered to go the dealer (see post above). I found that pressing on the flap while using the key to unlock always did the trick. Sometimes had the same thing (and same remedy) with the boot.

• 8 years later...
2 hours ago, Edwood said:

Hi, I've been having the same problem stuck filler cap & sometimes with the boot. Today I sprayed both catches with WD40, seems to have worked, will update in next week, when next visit to petrol station.

Have you been using the same key to unlock the car each time? Different keys can be set for their own unlocking setting, one of which is (quote from the manual):

[QUOTE]Opening a single door
This selection function makes it possible to only unlock the driver's door. The other
doors and the fuel filler flap remain locked and are only unlocked after being
opened again.[/QUOTE]

Edited by muddyjim

Welcome to the Forum. I had this problem and having found out that if it fails you can't get to the mechanism from inside the car -  brute force on the flap is the only way in - I decided to replace mine whilst it was still working. It wasn't expensive and with the flap open it took only a few minutes. And I'm not the most competent of mechanics......

You might find this thread helpful.

+1^^^

I’ve had the both the boot lock fail open, (quite simple to change, hardest part is getting the boot trim off) and the filler flap lock mechanism fail to lock (stayed open luckily) after the graunchy sound, and that was very easy to change, just search the forum.

Pre-emptive on the fuel filler lock would be strongly advised as I understand it can be very tricky to get open if it fails locked. The boot has an emergency release.

I'm guessing that the locking flap was an option or maybe dependent on trim level as mine is simply push to open.

Certainly not bothered about it as these 'toys' nice to have - until they stop working!

Must be said that the dry climate in Spain helps in that regard, water/damp/condensation etc. are the arch enemies of electric/electronic gear and all to frequently the root cause of failures.

No, push to open, push close. Unaffected by locking the car.

There is a spring loaded catch which pops in and out and rotates 90deg, it disengages/engages with the flap

open.jpg

closed.jpg

flap.jpg

Edited by KiNeL

12 hours ago, KiNeL said:

I'm guessing that the locking flap was an option or maybe dependent on trim level as mine is simply push to open.

This is from the 2011 owners manual for all models including the E.
"""The filler flap is automatically unlocked or locked with the central locking."""

Maybe my car never read it!

Is there perhaps an option in VCDS to inhibit it?

Don't forget that my car is EU/Spanish spec so maybe a territorial difference.

It's bonus as far as I'm concerned though as if it's not locking then it's one less thing to worry about going wrong lol 

Here's a question though, if the flap is supposedly locked with the car why is the actual filler cap itself lockable, is yours?

31 minutes ago, KiNeL said:

Here's a question though, if the flap is supposedly locked with the car why is the actual filler cap itself lockable, is yours?

Did you buy the car new?

10 hours ago, Urrell said:

Did you buy the car new?

No but from the handbook;

The fuel filler cap on the fuel filler tube must be unlocked to the left using the
vehicle key (only valid for vehicles which do not have automatic unlocking of the
fuel filler flap).

So it's either locking filler cap or locking flap - not both.

Locking of the filler cap is optional, I don't bother.

• Like 1