Octavia vRS performance VS...

I hope people don't think I'm a bit too keen with this being my second topic of the day as a newbie, but...

What can people tell me about the performance difference between mk2 Fabia vRS VS latest Octavias - TDI and TSI?

I'm only interested in standard performance really.

I'm just curious as I currently have the Fabia vRS and love the punchiness of the engine and that you can overtake so easily in it, I'm currently set to buy the Octy Diesel but worried I'll miss the punchiness of the petrol.

I've read a few times in various places (Though not here) that performance between the the TDI octy matches its petrol counterpart, is this true?

The Octavia vRS diesel is extremely 'punchy'

All due to the torque of the diesel

It feels quicker than the petrol models..Both Fabia II vRs and Petrol Octavia vRS

BUT

In reality the petrols are quicker

When I drive the wifes..It feels flat in comparison, until I get used to it

The Octavia vRS diesel is extremely 'punchy'

All due to the torque of the diesel

It feels quicker than the petrol models..Both Fabia II vRs and Petrol Octavia vRS

BUT

In reality the petrols are quicker

When I drive the wifes..It feels flat in comparison, until I get used to it

Ok, so am I correct to assume yours is the Octy?

And out of curiosity, which would you say is quicker after 60 mph?

Look at the power to weight ratios as tgat is what will relate to performance

Fabia vRS 178hp and 1240kg = 143hp/ton

Octavia vRS TDI 168hp and 1470kg =114hp/ton

Octavia vRS TSI 197hp and 1360kg =147hp/ton

Even looking at the torque to weight ratios

Fabia vRS 185 lbft = 149 lbft/ton

Octavia vRS TDI 258 lbft=175 lbft/ ton

Octavia vRS TSI 207 lbft = 152 lbft/ton

The Fabia has the advantage easily imo. Plus it has the 7 Speed DSG box which is really closely geared, paired with the supercharger means your never out of the power band.

The others might slip ahead at much higher speed due to the Fabia having the aerodynamics of a wall

• Like 1

Stupidly I didn't think to look at /ton figures - an interesting set and strange that the lowly Fabia has the highest score.

I guess a decent remap would see the TDI beat the aforementioned standard cars.

Any Briskodians claiming their Octavia TDI's make 200BHP standard like I've seen elsewhere?

Any Briskodians claiming their Octavia TDI's make 200BHP standard like I've seen elsewhere?

Maybe a CR170 owner after a visit to Shark Performance emoticon-0148-yes.gif

With the oil burners it isn't about bhp, it is about a nice flat torque curve that extends a bit further up the rev range.

My old CR put out 173bhp on the rollers before it was remapped to 203. Anyone claiming that is kidding themselves.

I've read a few times in various places (Though not here) that performance between the the TDI octy matches its petrol counterpart, is this true?

No. I've owned TFSI, TDI CR and TSI vRS variants and the petrol ones are quicker, noticeably so in my opinion. Remap them all to stage 1 and the gap widens too, i.e. you get more bang for your buck on a TSI/TFSI remap.

Look at the power to weight ratios as tgat is what will relate to performance

Fabia vRS 178hp and 1240kg = 143hp/ton

Octavia vRS TDI 168hp and 1470kg =114hp/ton

Octavia vRS TSI 207hp and 1470kg =140hp/ton

Even looking at the torque to weight ratios

Fabia vRS 185 lbft = 149 lbft/ton

Octavia vRS TDI 258 lbft=175 lbft/ ton

Octavia vRS TSI 207 lbft = 140 lbft/ton

The Fabia has the advantage easily. Plus it has the 7 Speed DSG box which is really closely geared, paired with the supercharger means your never out of the power band.

The others might slip ahead at much higher speed due to the Fabia having the aerodynamics of a wall

Octy vRS is 197 bhp and weighs 1360 kg which is about 147 bhp per ton and 152 lbft per ton.

Maybe a CR170 owner after a visit to Shark Performance emoticon-0148-yes.gif

With the oil burners it isn't about bhp, it is about a nice flat torque curve that extends a bit further up the rev range.

A flat curve? Is that a zen?

Thought the tsi had the 208hp map like the GTI. Didnt realise it was that much lighter p.

even though they share the same tsi engine, they r callibrated differently from factory.

the golf gti tsi engine (cczb) comes with version 'B' of the software callibration - hence 210bhp (approx)

the octavia rs tsi engine (ccza) comes with version 'A' of the software callibration - hence 200bhp (approx)

Edited by JR RS

I have a stage 2 Octy Tsi, owned a stage 1 PD Octy and my mate had a new Fabia vRS which is standard. The Fabia felt much nicer than the diesel but were both similar speed, however it felt very flat in comparison to my current Tsi.

Was spinning the wheels in 3rd at 75 mph earlier! Really should invest in some winter tyres!

I have a stage 2 Octy Tsi, owned a stage 1 PD Octy and my mate had a new Fabia vRS which is standard. The Fabia felt much nicer than the diesel but were both similar speed, however it felt very flat in comparison to my current Tsi.

Was spinning the wheels in 3rd at 75 mph earlier! Really should invest in some winter tyres!

Nope. You need a diff. ;)

I'm probably being thick here but I've never really understood how a diff helps getting the power down through the front wheels only. I understand the fundamental concept of a diff whereby power/torque is sent to the wheel or wheels with most traction but laws of physics are that under hard acceleration weight transfers to the rear. Great for rear wheel drive and four wheel drive, not great for front wheel drive as you lose traction, due to lack of weight over the the driven wheels. How does a diff help here where the loss of traction is likely to be equally spread between both front wheels?

I'm probably being thick here but I've never really understood how a diff helps getting the power down through the front wheels only. I understand the fundamental concept of a diff whereby power/torque is sent to the wheel or wheels with most traction but laws of physics are that under hard acceleration weight transfers to the rear. Great for rear wheel drive and four wheel drive, not great for front wheel drive as you lose traction, due to lack of weight over the the driven wheels. How does a diff help here where the loss of traction is likely to be equally spread between both front wheels?

ok, so i'm not in the same league as harry power-wise, but with the torque i have from the tweaked shark stage 1 map and some tyres on their last legs as I had a couple of months ago, i could get the car to spin up on a damp road easily in first, second or third with the tc off. It would always spin up one side or the other depending on how much grip was available on each side, almost never both together. With a diff, this would not happen as the torque is channelled to the side that isn't spinning (ie has the greater grip).

XDS tries to replicate this effect by braking the wheel that is spinning (where earlier tc systems cut the power the engine is making instead, leading to very jerky progress) but it's still no substitute for a real lsd.

Edited by rob_e

• 3 years later...