Rear washer jet - still an issue in Modern Octavias ?

Hello

So far ive owned 3 cars : 2 VW Golf's and now a 2005 Audi A3 hatchback

ALL OF THEM have had feckin problems with the rear washer jet like :

1. Pipe becomes disconnected from motor in boot

2. Pipe becomes disconnected from another joint along its way from the boot to the water tank in the engine

3. The Jet spray part in the boot became clogged

All of the above meant no water came out when I tried to activate the rear washer.

Its a complete pain in the hole

in one instance, the pipe became dis connected in the boot and was dripping water on to the micro switch device and kept on setting off the bloody alarm....................****e design

Im literally just back from fixing yet another rear washer jet issue !

Ive read on here that some people also have this issue with Skoda's

My questions

1. Is the design of the rear washer in Skoda's the same as that in the VW's and Audi's ? ( presume it is )

2. Is this problem only common on the older Skoda's ( before 2009 ) or is it still an issue on the face lifted Skoda's ?

Edited by obi604

The "VAG fluid" solution is complete t*ss, promulgated by Skoda to flog more expensive screen wash. The hose comes off because it doesn't grip well enough on the spigot when pressure is developed in the system by the washer pump; the rubber is underspecified for the job. The concentration of a miniscule amount of soapy gunge will have no bearing on the problem. Given that the official Skoda fix is a clip, which was not fitted in the first place, identifies that it simply wasn't designed right in the first place.

You will also find that a replacement washer jet will be hard to fit when replaced after 4/5 years, because the anti-corrosion treatment of the tube on which the jet sits is not great. There will be corrosion on the tube which needs careful easing before the new jet can be properly located. This corrosion is part of the reason the jet blocks up and needs replacing in the first place (and the blocked jet leads to excess pressure, which pops off the weakest joint in the system.)

Thanks for reply inspector man. I was thinking that using this " VAG fluid" would not magically fix all these issues. Its just a crap design

Can anyone answer the 2 original questions I asked ?

One of the aggravating issues with Mk2 rear jets is the fact that there is no strainer fitted at the filler of the resevoir. I have had to clear the jets 3 times on the Mk2- but have now "designed and fitted" a filter on the inlet to the resevoir - you guessed it - foot cut off bottom of old tights. 2006 model. On other Octavia - Mk1 2002 - there is a strainer fitted and no problem with blocked jets but, have had the problem of feed pipe to rear blowing off - solved by using small cable ties at pipe connections.

thanks for the reply

Can anyone answer my original questions :

1. Is the design of the rear washer in Skoda's the same as that in the VW's and Audi's ?

2. Is this problem only common on the older Skoda's ( before 2009 ) or is it still an issue on the face lifted Skoda's ?

• 7 months later...

My Mk1 and Mk2 both blocked, I ended up not using the rear washers on either. I think if you use cheap screen wash it doesn't help.

I heard VAG screen wash is mixed 50-50 and is supposed to be good in a water meth application :p

I never had a problem on any of my Octavias and I have had 4.

I had 2 early cars which I ran to 80k each without any issues.

I also ran 1 Mk2 to 80k and the last one to 100k without any issues.

What I have done in the past with loose washer tube is to cut it down a little and then warm it up with a hot air gun to make it soft.

Then when it is put back on wrap some wire around it near the jet to make it more secure.

I too noticed that the washer bottle on my vRS didn't have the filter mesh in the filler nozzle, but my Scout does.

I was given a Fabia courtesy car and noticed that it had the filter / mesh so swapped it into my vRS on a long term loan.

I use my rear wiper every day on my Octavia hatch.

The car is either covered in rain or condensation on a morning that needs clearing off the rear screen.

The same moisture on the roof runs down the rear screen so I reckon I use it three or four times each morning.

I'm not sure how the rear wiper can be described as useless.

I use my rear wiper every day on my Octavia hatch.

The car is either covered in rain or condensation on a morning that needs clearing off the rear screen.

The same moisture on the roof runs down the rear screen so I reckon I use it three or four times each morning.

I'm not sure how the rear wiper can be described as useless.

+1

tis a must for the octavia hatch.

+2. I've never had a problem with mine nor had my dad in the 4 years if ownership of an Octavia. I used high concentrated Halfords Advanced screen wash. I did however have a wet boot in my Leon which was fixed for free at my service. Seemingly a split in the T junction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk whilst in a taxi rank

Had a 2006 Octavia Hatch - rear wash worked under 50% of the time because it kept getting blocked with carp. There was always road dirt around the jets. Never had any problem with the pipes coming adrift.

Now have a 2010 Octavia FL hatch and in 23k miles the jet has never blocked. Maybe the slightly redesigned rear bumper means that rear spray doesn't get into the housing.

Both cars have a filter mesh in the washer filler.

On both cars the rear wash is totally effing useless because it is impossible to get a spray pattern that doesn't have pedestrians reaching for their umbrella or just sprays at the base of the wiper leaving the outer extermities smeared and worse than when you started.

Edited by eccleshill

Mine works fine apart from a knackered wiper motor not because of fluid leaking or that though, just crap VAG parts.

I agree though about the spray pattern absolutely useless.

Mines a bit odd, Ive taken the nozel off and tried and it fires water straight out so its not blocked. But when i put it all back together the nozel seems to decide to not work correctly, even after being cleaned out. It looks like its aiming the water towards the plastic cover!

Mine was the same until yesterday. I also cleaned the jets. Found a bit of copper wire that fitted then squeezed the end flat to get a snugger fit and twizzled it around. A minimal bit of corrosion, although the nozzles were not actually blocked, was enough to stop the flow .Front, fan nozzles ,are touch wood, OK.

Edited by gregoir

The rear nozzle on my vRs is as useful as a Chocalate fireguard...

Skoda have taken it off and cleaned it, it blocked up again a couple of months later, so I decided to give it a clean and managed to get it to work in such a way, that...if you were within 10ft of the rear of the car, you were going to get wet....

It's now blocked up again, can't understand why as I now use the proper Skoda screenwash as I thought the cheap stuff was causing it to block up..

Edited by studmuffin

• 1 month later...

2005 Oct Estate, Had the same issue, no water from rear jet, went straight to joint in left rear quarter panel section in boot, pints of screenwash laying in there to gether with the seperated joint in pipe, mopped up screenwash, re-connected pipe and used tie-wraps to secure joint, the little so and so will not come undone again, at least not at this point.

Had the same issue in my 2002 Seat Leon, exactly the same place. You'd think VAG would have sorted.

Attached a picture of the culprit.

post-60864-0-79450400-1355934253_thumb.jpg