What annoyed you today whilst driving ?

jonny boy

The hippo in a generic French box tailgating me for 10 miles this afternoon then in traffic in town doing the 1mm from rear bumper move along with her multi tasking / missed meal skills of picking her ears (and eating it), scratching at her hair (and eating it), picking her nose (and guess what), looking down at her phone, driving with no hands, not indicating on any roundabouts or at any junctions, stopping at a roundabout after I have gone, then thinking sod it I will pull out and force a bus to slam on and swerve to not T-Bone her. Holding onto the wheel with a maximum of 1 hand (right hand on top left of wheel), holding onto dash and steering wheel at same time (human steering lock?).  Oh and when looking down at her phone and traffic and I moved on, a parked car on left which was indicating slowly pulled out, but it's ok she spotted it in time to floor it and drive at them, swerve and force her way back in on top of them when half out of space..... Generally being a big fat mess / waste of a hell of a lot of skin, who basically can't drive for toffee (but if it was on offer she would be a driving God)!

The hippo in a generic French box tailgating me for 10 miles this afternoon then in traffic in town doing the 1mm from rear bumper move along with her multi tasking / missed meal skills of picking her ears (and eating it), scratching at her hair (and eating it), picking her nose (and guess what), looking down at her phone, driving with no hands, not indicating on any roundabouts or at any junctions, stopping at a roundabout after I have gone, then thinking sod it I will pull out and force a bus to slam on and swerve to not T-Bone her. Holding onto the wheel with a maximum of 1 hand (right hand on top left of wheel), holding onto dash and steering wheel at same time (human steering lock?).  Oh and when looking down at her phone and traffic and I moved on, a parked car on left which was indicating slowly pulled out, but it's ok she spotted it in time to floor it and drive at them, swerve and force her way back in on top of them when half out of space..... Generally being a big fat mess / waste of a hell of a lot of skin, who basically can't drive for toffee (but if it was on offer she would be a driving God)!

She's the kind of person where I would have just stopped and watched her drive into me......... new rear-end to car :-)

• Like 1

Taxi from Thanet Cars cut me up at Westwood Cross roundabout. I was in lefthand entry lane, he in righthand. Then a couple of hundred yards towards Margate he cut straight across the next roundabout in front of a young girl in a silver car - Fiesta or somesuch - who was coming round from the Margate direction, indicating correctly that she intended going down the road to our left, causing her to slam on the anchors. The car behind her nearly went up her rear, figuratively speaking of course, while the taxi went gaily ahead into a traffic jam. W****r. Won't be using that firm in a hurry!

Muppets who stop a car's length from stop lines or give ways at junctions and then find they can't pull out quick enough because the gaps are too short for them to make the distance and then do the turn, resulting in a massive queue...   just learn to stop AT the line!

One was so bad this morning I nearly pulled roujnd them and in front of them into the gap they'd left as it could have been mistaken for them pulling over to park in advance of the junction!

Having to slam all on from 60 and make moves towards getting off the road at speed due an oncoming dribbling old ****er driving down the middle of the A607.

Luckily the huge amount of horn I was using got his passenger to take notice and do the steering for him. He probably still doesn't know I was ever there.

Glad I did my brakes last week, I didn't know a 12 year old car could stop that quick. Doubly glad there was no one anywhere close behind me or it could have been all three of us.

Seriously can't get over how close we were. I do 30k a year and that’s the first time I've had to pull over, get out and have a moment to myself in a long time.

On a large roundabout with traffic lights, I had to pass through 3 sets of lights to reach my junction, I was first in line at each green light and each time I had to brake for the 3-4 tw**s jumping the red light without a care and then blocking my route. No excuse in my book.

Edited by nokiauk

The horse box lorry which was decided that it's drive axle wasn't that important so dropped it on the road leaving tail backs causing me a 20 minute delay getting past going up a road........ Then to add insult to injury 3 hours later on same road getting caught up for 40 minutes due to a car vs lorry accident. Once that was over and got past, I was so pleased to see that the initial horse box lorry hadn't been recovered and made it a good 50 meters before another 35 minute queue to that LOL

This is the problem with arterial roads in NI in the absence of a motorway or even dual carriageway network. Popping up and down that road should have been a 15 minute affair....

On the plus side I discovered my phone fits snugly in a cup holder on the dash (although tall ways sucks). :D 

Why is it that even at 2-3am i can drive 20miles of motorway and see no other driver, but alwats end up catching up to a div bumbling along at less than mway speed limit within 800m of my exit? Just close enough that an overtake would mean carving across them like an Audiot.. instead having to braaaake slowly dooowwwn to their speed for the sliproad which they veer into and then realise they arent turning off yet!

Gob****es.

• Like 1

Car got attacked while I was out delivering by a bunch of ***** at a stag party (I assume that was the event anyway because they were all dressed like *****)  :( . Hitting the car and one even jumped onto the bonnet while I was trying to get out of a space. Utter *****. Blocking me in by standing in front + behind the car so I had to just drive into them to get out of there while they kept hitting the car and jeering. Never experienced anything like that and it's extremely intimidating because if I got out then about 30 guys would of smashed my face in probably, given how they were treating my car. Couldn't see any damage but I'll double check tomorrow if it's dry (because water hides the scratches). First time I think I've ever wished I had a dash cam...

Was yesterday really. Four lane section on the M1 around Nottingham, some woman decides that doing 65-70 in lane 3 is fine. Lanes 1 and 2 were clear. About 3 other cars and me went all the way around but didn't notice. Her male passenger got a little stroppy when the missus was indicating to them, in a non aggressive manner, that they should move over!

Why can't people understand the lane discipline on motorways! Haha.

Car in front of the car in front was doing that thing where the pedal on the right doesn't go towards the floor after 45 mph. The car in front was twitching to get past on every short straight, we then get to a long straight and I give him a couple of seconds to go past. He doesn't, so I pull out and start to pass and he then indicates to pull out as I'm on his back wing. **** off!

Car in front of the car in front was doing that thing where the pedal on the right doesn't go towards the floor after 45 mph. The car in front was twitching to get past on every short straight, we then get to a long straight and I give him a couple of seconds to go past. He doesn't, so I pull out and start to pass and he then indicates to pull out as I'm on his back wing. **** off!

I hate that... if you want to go, im giving a moment to decide.... youre still there, then stay put, im off, before the guy 4 cars farther back decides he'll make it through..

Geezer in a new Discovery Sport (new Freelander) with eye burningly bright huge brake lights braking unnecessarily on every single bend on the A85, rather than flowing and easing off just before the bend (around 500 of them!).  He's either really new to the 15 plate car or a really inexperienced driver and can't keep a steady 45-50mph, just keeping braking, braking, braking, then roaring off to 75mph, easing back to 50mph on straights, then braking, braking, braking.  

After he did a near-on emergency stop for a lorry coming the other way when we're on a full-width section of trunk road and my eyes were burning from the brake lights and I was getting sick of the jerkiness, (I'm in a bog spec 1.6 petrol Zafira, 6-up with 8 cases and packed to the roof) I attempted to overtake....

Every time I go to overtake he speeds up to 75mph, then slows down to 50mph again, so finally I see an opportunity ahead in the distance, hold back, fire it up to 70mph in third and fly past at the start of the broken white lines before he woke up, then returned to cruising around 45-55mph.  He did try to keep up through the first three bends, but was all over the road braking hard mid corner compared to my controlled cornering after getting the entry speed and line right, so he huffily gave up and our gap increased until I lost sight of him after a few miles.  Bear in mind, I'm in a very under-powered heavy MPV, with 6 passengers and full to the roof with kit...and none of us want to race, just be smooth and make good efficient progress.

Just as I lose the sight of him in my rear view mirror, I round a bend to find a line of traffic at 28mph following two German camper vans at the very front.

All the grinding way to Glasgow, hours later, still at the start of a 350 mile journey which had it all, traffic, idiots, biblical rain and in the last 90 miles, my lad falling prey to the sickness virus we'd all had in the days before and being sick like poltergeist again and again and again.  Thank god my OCD planning had seen to 3 NHS sealable sick bags in the glove box!

Two things....

Why are some new car brake lights so stupidly bright that they blind you, either in wet conditions or sat behind in traffic with the driver not using the handbrake?

Why have a competent car and not drive it well, then get offended when others can make a better job in a less powerful or competent car?

/\ @mender,

I refer to my second last addition to this thread as the answer to your second question :rolleye:

the first is answered by - coz car manufacturers are all trying to out do each other in ridiculous tech race one upmanship so the brighter the led brake lights, the better the pile of ****e must be...

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 1

On a large roundabout with traffic lights, I had to pass through 3 sets of lights to reach my junction, I was first in line at each green light and each time I had to brake for the 3-4 tw**s jumping the red light without a care and then blocking my route. No excuse in my book.

Roundabouts with traffic lights on them annoy me too; more so when it's a brand new roundabout. What it means is that the local roads authority have admitted that a roundabout is not an applicable traffic management solution for this junction, but they're going to have one anyway!

Why are some new car brake lights so stupidly bright that they blind you, either in wet conditions or sat behind in traffic with the driver not using the handbrake?

I am of the belief that these newer car lights are far too bright.

Blinded when they brake, blinded when they are behind you and the stupid super bright zenons or whatever they are that always seem to be pointed to my mirrors...

What annoyed me this morning?

People slowing to 10mph below the speed limit to go through a camera.

Im doing 50 (indicated - meaning less than that) and you brake in front of me down to 40 for a speed camera at 50? Really?

• Like 2

Im doing 50 (indicated - meaning less than that) and you brake in front of me down to 40 for a speed camera at 50? Really?

uuuurgh - one of my pet hates. Particularly on a certain motorway underpass when the first few brake light start off that "EVERYONE SLOW DOWN" chain reaction that ends up with traffic a mile and a half back down the road crawling at 30mph for no reason.

• Like 2

Roundabouts with traffic lights on them annoy me too; more so when it's a brand new roundabout. What it means is that the local roads authority have admitted that a roundabout is not an applicable traffic management solution for this junction, but they're going to have one anyway!

It's called a signalised gyratory and they are usually used when traffic flows at certain times of day are very unequal such that a roundabout (or any other junction type except signals) wouldn't operate satisfactorily.

I am of the belief that these newer car lights are far too bright.

Blinded when they brake, blinded when they are behind you and the stupid super bright zenons or whatever they are that always seem to be pointed to my mirrors...

What annoyed me this morning?

People slowing to 10mph below the speed limit to go through a camera.

It's called a signalised gyratory and they are usually used when traffic flows at certain times of day are very unequal such that a roundabout (or any other junction type except signals) wouldn't operate satisfactorily.

There is one beside us that operates 24x7. At 2am if you approach from a particular direction you will sit at three red lights to get round even though there's no other traffic. One of the exits /entries is from a Morrisons branch that's not open after 10pm

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

There is one beside us that operates 24x7. At 2am if you approach from a particular direction you will sit at three red lights to get round even though there's no other traffic. One of the exits /entries is from a Morrisons branch that's not open after 10pm

Yes - some authorities, once they have decided to install one as a result of differing flows in, say peak hours, choose to run them all day long as they allow flow and queues to be controlled and managed on a live basis, should the need arise.  Round here we have them where the entry lanes are signal controlled but only operate during peak periods so the lights are turned off outside those periods.  Some would argue these are actually less safe but they seem to work fine with no accident record.

The one you know of may simply have a single set of timings that run all day without taking into account eh Morrisons or may actually be set that way to do another job - that is to dealy traffic on one particular leg or arm to influence driver behaviour and maybe encourage them to use and alternative route.  Without knowing it's hard to tell but does seem strange.

Exactly. And no we're not talking about the same junction.