Invalidating skoda warranty

Hi,

Just had my 11plate Vrs serviced (10.000 miles, 1st service) & they advised the car needs new tyres on the front as only 3mm left on both tyres. They quoted £186.00 per tyre.

Looked on blackcircle.com & found a chinesse tyre (5* rating all round) for approx £86.00 per tyre inc vat & fitting + balance etc but the speed rating is 'W' not 'Y' as fitted on the Dunlops at the moment.

W = speed up to 169 mph approx & Y = speed up to 189 approx.

The car is a diesel 2.0 170bhp cr engine max speed 140mph ish.

They say if the wrong speed tyre is fitted it can invalidate your insurance is it's classed as a modification & can invalidate you car warranty too as its not a recomended part, including tyre maker!

If this invalidates the warranty its like saying the car came with Shell diesel in it but if you used Bp diesel end of warranty.

Anyone have any thoughts or comment on this & is this true.

P.s have found a place that will fit Khumo tyres, full speed rating for £95.00inc vat fully fitted & balancing etc.....any thoughts on these tyres?

Thanks inadvance.

If you put **** cheap chinese tyres on your car your insurance and warranty should be the least of your worries.

Regarding insurance yes it's possible they would not pay out if you need to claim. Warranty is a debatable issue though.

For the sake of a few quid buy some decent tyres it's really not worth being tight where tyres are concerned.

Edited by Guest

at 3mm You dont need them just yet so personally I would get another few thousand miles out of them untill 2mm or so and if funds are low get a set of part worn quality rubber rather than no make tyres

• Like 1

What you should actually do is rotate your tyres so you get even wear and then change all four at once. That way all tyres have similar depth and you have the same tyres all round.

There was a thread recently where someone was talking about a change in advice about rotating tyres saying that it is no longer recommended. Can't remember why though?

I personally wouldn't trust part worn tyres, you don't know where they've come from. I've heard of some horrible stories about tyres from written-off cars being sold as part-worns. A tyre thats been slid sideways into a kerb and rolled into a field needs to go to the same place as the car - a scrapyard.

This time last year I'd have said exactly the same thing about the infamous budget vs. premium tyres debate - get the most expensive you can afford.

When I bought my vRS the delaer had put new tyres on it to sell - 4x Evergreens! Approaching winter I thought this is going to be fun but not being the sort of person to bin brand new tyres I gave them a try. 9 months later they are still on, and do you know what they aren't at all bad. Even after a trouser soiling emergency stop in the wet a few months ago they were very good. Would a set of branded tyres stopped quicker? I'll never know but I won't instantly dismiss budgets anymore...

Thanks for your replies......I have no intention putting cheap tyres on the car as this what really stops you. Had Khumo tyres on my Superb & they were brilliant although they were a little noisy at the end of their life, but did well.

Just wondered as to Khumos were in fact recomended by Skoda & if not does this invalidat the warrany.

The Dunlops they came with are absolute rubbish, noisy, do not war well & not too sure about stopping well in the rain, likes to aquaplain.

I dont think I drive the car that hard....Keighley- Morecambe......60ish mile..keeping to speed limits etc got 64.3mpg according to the onboard comp. but every now & then the horses are unleashed!!

I expected more tyre wear when putting down the power of a vrs but less than 10k with just me & the wife seems a little on the crappy side for Dunlops.

What I would like to to know as previously stated if I put Khumos on if they are not recomended by Skoda will this invalidate the warranty or my insurance as advised by blackcircle.com.

Thanks again

Personally I don't skimp on tyres. Goodyear, contis, Pirelli and michelins being the top choices.

I'm pretty certain if you drive like miss daisy opposed to daisy duke a set of linglangs etc would be fine.

I went to test drive a vxr insignia before getting the vrs - the dealer boasted new tyres all round... Linglangs or something in 20 inches - it was as expected very lively when pushed in the dry with 325bhp and £60 a corner tyres opposed to £300 a corner tyres.

Regarding speed ratings - you should be able to use lower ratings providing the insurance is informed. It's the weight which you need to keep the same.

Pretty convinced a Chinese w rated tyre is the same as a Pirelli h to be honest ;)

I personally wouldn't trust part worn tyres, you don't know where they've come from. I've heard of some horrible stories about tyres from written-off cars being sold as part-worns. A tyre thats been slid sideways into a kerb and rolled into a field needs to go to the same place as the car - a scrapyard.

When you buy a used car.... the tyres on the car are "Part worn"?

Nothing wrong with them most decent depots let you inspect and pressure test them all and you watch them fit

• Like 1

When you buy a used car.... the tyres on the car are "Part worn"?

Nothing wrong with them most decent depots let you inspect and pressure test them all and you watch them fit

Exactly, you don't know how many kerbs they've been bounced up, how many puncture repairs they've had or if they've been over or under deflated etc.

Is a risk you take when buying a used car and its exactly the same risk you get when buying part worn tyres.

The difference being here is that the OP has a choice to put part-worns on or not.

As I said earlier I came close to replacing all four brand new budget tyres on my used vRS when I bought it...

Hi

I have these on my VRS CR and on my Astravan and they have been very good - wet and dry grip is good, they are quiet and give a more cushioned ride than the crappy dunlops that were on when I got the VRS.

Camskill dont have stock at the moment but they usually get stock withing 2 or 3 weeks.

http://www.camskill....40R18_92Y_XL_TL_

There are also these which are in stock - my Dad uses these on his car and I have used them on my Astravan in the past and they were fine. I prefer the 452's but it depends on whether you want to wait until they have stock - you can email them and they will let you know when they expect them to be available.

http://www.camskill....40R18_92W_XL_TL_

Note also the 452's are Y rated and both are XL (extra load) rated..

Cheers

Dave

Edited by FatblokeVRS

Have whatever tyres you fancy. It's drivers that are dangerous, not tyres. As for warranty, I suspect there is no requirement to fit specific tyres as they would need to be approved and listed by Skoda somewhere in the warranty terms and conditions. Surely all tyres have to be approved by a govt. body before they can be sold anyway.

Hi

I have these on my VRS CR and on my Astravan and they have been very good - wet and dry grip is good, they are quiet and give a more cushioned ride than the crappy dunlops that were on when I got the VRS.

Camskill dont have stock at the moment but they usually get stock withing 2 or 3 weeks.

http://www.camskill....40R18_92Y_XL_TL_

There are also these which are in stock - my Dad uses these on his car and I have used them on my Astravan in the past and they were fine. I prefer the 452's but it depends on whether you want to wait until they have stock - you can email them and they will let you know when they expect them to be available.

http://www.camskill....40R18_92W_XL_TL_

Note also the 452's are Y rated and both are XL (extra load) rated..

Cheers

Dave

That's a good price, £300 for 4 I might give them a go as I've heard before they are pretty good.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/falken-fk452-longterm-test.htm

Edited by Guest

If a Car came from the Factory with a certain Speed rating, that speed rating or higher must be refitted.

So winter tyres are illegal ;)

So winter tyres are illegal ;)

No winters are not Illegal to fit but It's best to Inform your Insurance Company that you are fitting them.

The rules change with Winter Tyres.

Most Insurance Companies will not charge a premium for fitting Winters as there classed as a safety aid.

If you fit "Normal" tyres of a lower Speed rating lower than the Car Came on from the factory you Insurance could be Invalid

But why? Surely an insurance company won't refuse to pay out even if the speed rating of replacement tyres was lower? They would be a lot more likely to refuse to pay out if they knew that tyres of say 90mph rating were fitted and they knew that any accident was caused by any speed exceeding the UK legal maximum of 70???

As far as what goes on in the factory, it seems that it is simply what is available from the factory in the first place. I have 2 as good as identical cars -- a 54 plate Octy Elegance 1.9PD 105 hatch, and an 08 plate Octy Elegance 1.9PD 105 Estate, and according to the option code stickers in the car, the 54 plate came factory fitted with W ratings (168mph) and the 08 plate with V rating (149mph). Both on cars that can't get anywhere near that sort of figure.

My hatchback has never had W replacements -- I've always replaced anything on both cars with V ratings. Please tell me what advantage W would be over V when the car does nothing but potter about?

Mike

Black Circles Agree

http://www.blackcirc...ral/speedrating

When I put Winter Tyres on Both mine and my wifes cars, I informed both insurance companies of the changes, my wifes insurance company actually re-issued the insurance cert as having 'modification, extreme weather tyres' no change in premium but given they thought necessary to issue a new cert I would think they would have used it as a ploy to get out of any subsequent claims, which incidentally did arise as someone ran into the back of her when she was stopped at a set of traffic lights!

I would not be surprised if the insurance company would have rejected the claim or the other parties insurance company would have used it if the vehicle had tyres that were not to the manufacturers standard, something the would probably equally apply to putting on lower rated tyres.

the "load" rating matters a whole lot more than than "speed" rating.

ur never going to reach the tyres max speed rating, but if ur tyre does not meet the car's min. required load rating - ur a sitting time bomb waiting for a blowout!!!

insurance companies take note of this.

the vRS usually comes with a tyre that has a load rating of "91".

a 91 rating equates to a maximum load of 615kg per tyre. this means the front two tyres can handle upto 1230kgs (max) of axle weight.

the vRS has a front axle load weight of 1100kg.

a tyre with a load rating of 91 will easily handle the vRS's axle weight, without being stressed or overworked.

Edited by JR RS

F1 auto centres (or black circles IIRC) will put bridgestone potenzas on (the S002 I think rather than the OE REO40) for £105 fitted. On that basis I'd take that over some Chinese mush mash at £86.

As for whoever said pirellis - I'd always found them good before getting my (TFSi) VRS. Put two P6000s on the front once and initially was thinking the lack of grip was due to them needing to be worn in. It wasn't and those are the only tyres where I have actually been relieved when they wore out. There were times when those tyres were actually frightening.......

F1 auto centres (or black circles IIRC) will put bridgestone potenzas on (the S002 I think rather than the OE REO40) for £105 fitted. On that basis I'd take that over some Chinese mush mash at £86.

As for whoever said pirellis - I'd always found them good before getting my (TFSi) VRS. Put two P6000s on the front once and initially was thinking the lack of grip was due to them needing to be worn in. It wasn't and those are the only tyres where I have actually been relieved when they wore out. There were times when those tyres were actually frightening.......

P6000's! For shopping trolleys only! P zero rosso / Nero but not 6000's - awful tyre IMHO

Anyone got any experience of Khumos on a Vrs?

I had two sets on a remapped Mk1 and they performed well, even on track days.

I did have a set on the front of my remapped TSI they performed comparably to the original Contis but not as much grip as my new Vreds Sessantas :love:

Bear in mind Hyundai put Kuhmos on a number of their cars OEM

P6000's! For shopping trolleys only! P zero rosso / Nero but not 6000's - awful tyre IMHO

Got to agree with you there. In my defence i got offered them as a 'comparable alternative' to the REO40s by my local skoda dealer. Don't know what made me go with it rather than looking into it myself but it was a lesson learned and if anything im now a little OTT in my tyre research........