Forum Changes - They start here, please read

ColinD

• Administrators

Hello Yeti folk,

I am about to embark on some forum changes. These have been in the air for some time, one could argue we've already had them; many years ago.

In summary I'm looking for a Yeti owning community leader. The word leader might raise an eyebrow, I can't really get the right word, some might say manager, some redcoat, expert, inspiration, sage etc. Whatever the word the person who reads the following will define it.

What I'm looking for is somebody who owns a Yeti. Is keen on the forums and wants to have a hand in shaping the community of Yeti owners off and on the forums, the forums which make up the Skoda Yeti Owners Area here on BRISKODA.net. It's not moderation, but can be if you want, it's in my mind at least more about representing the interests of Yeti owners and kicking me to respond to the changes required.

Lets ascend to get a view from higher up of what this means and where I'm trying to go. The forum is a collection of people, some 17, some 90+ with wildly differing needs and outlooks. It's not even easy to say a certain model attracts certain types, we don't and the models don't coalesce around any one type. The forums began out of a niche, mainly fast road drivers, wise enthusiasts and a bag of mad keen tuning people. Pretty much all of the buzz 10 years ago was around the 1.8t and in the Octavia platform. The Fabia fuelled this with a younger group and a new diesel tuning era, and in time we found members from all walks with all needs doing great things to there cars, or keeping them stock and wanting to improve there ownership experience. The needs of tuning forums differs from general owners forums to model specific forums with 25 different sections as it does from a computer or gardening forum. It is partly this diversity that the less is more model of one forum per model grew up.

So from this higher view I look down and see lots of needs all trying to fit into one or two forums per model. But 'less is more' I can't add another 50 (e.g 5 per model) forums and hope to make the site usable by a new user as it stands today. We also risk lots of cross posting on similar parts / issues. For example the parts sharing of entertainment (radio) systems, I found a answer to my superb here in the yeti zone and many examples exist vice versa over each model.

But I also know[gut], trying to keep all demands / needs contained within one forum per model is very hard. This is where the community leader fits in, to take the needs of the specific model owners and shaping the specific owners area of the site. One could think of it as a community within a community, off topic for example would not be replicated, anyway that's for later discussions.

I'm starting here, as it's for me the right size of group within the site. This model is not a brand new model, so you have traction/knowledge and understanding. You're also not the largest forum for content so not the biggest challenge first.

Next steps, well I'm hoping that a few of you reading this think, yes I'd like to roll my sleeves up and reshape this corner of briskoda. If so, please drop me a PM, maybe add a thought or two, I'll leave the topic up to you ;)

Other actions are occurring in the background to support this re-jig, which will be rolled out as time / conditions permit.

Thank you for reading, I warmly welcome all contact and any constructive feedback is also welcome. If you don't feel this "leader" is you , but have some thoughts on items raised above, the forum, this thread is open to you, or pm if you prefer anonymity.

Cheers,

Colin.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm not putting myself forward - I'm totally unsuitable - but I can think of several amongst us Yeti types who would get my vote ... TP, Agerbundsen and 90000000000000000000000000000000000000 spring to mind immediately, but there are others too!

• Like 2

Sounds like a good idea. I'm not putting myself forward - I'm totally unsuitable - but I can think of several amongst us Yeti types who would get my vote ... TP, Agerbundsen and 90000000000000000000000000000000000000 spring to mind immediately, but there are others too!

That's who I would go for Bob, and of course Graham ;)

It's not moderation, but can be if you want

Just to say I think you should be very wary indeed about giving power of moderation to any regular user. In general that leads to much discontent.

The only way I've seen it work is by giving power of moderation to a user in respect of threads they themselves have started, but no others. Personally, I wouldn't even recommend that much power.

Just my 2p, as one who joined their first internet discussion group in 1984 and moderated their first one in 1986. (Yes, that's 1984 and 1986, not 1994 and 1996. And I know it wasn't called the internet in those days.)

Graham, dearly though I love you, you're a crotchety old git - just like me - we'd just upset people!

• Like 1

Intresting concept, although is the forum ready for the SMOC shaping their own area :wonder: :giggle:

and thanks all for the mention :blush: not sure I'm necessarily the right candidate. However if there is support from my fellow members, I wil throw my hat in the ring so to speak but as I say only if everyone else is happy with my doing so; democracy and all that.

TP

• Like 3

I was thinking it should be a long term respected member who already has popular support (whose posts are often quoted, etc) and knows the model well, so an early SM owner or possibly better, a second Yeti-ist. First thoughts were TP and he of the many 000000s. If TP does the job do we get to call him Uncle Tim? :rofl:

I'm happy for you to do it Tim :thumbup: , you where among the first yeti owners and have been on the forum for a long time.

With bob as leader we may get an over 18 only rating :rofl:

• Like 2

Can we set up a poll???

1st choice

2nd choice

3rd choice

Of course as in the spirit of fair play and sportsmanship, the votes will be in NO particular order :think:

As a not-quite-yet Yeti owner (three weeks tomorrow, but I have actually seen her!) and a forum member for only a few months, I would not presume to make any recommendations. I have been impressed by the wide knowledge and experience of the 'elders' of the Yeti section and by the (usually) good nature of differences of opinion here. I do venture beyond the Yeti sections of Briskoda.net but none of the others seem so totally focussed on the particular model - the SM seems to have attracted a peculiarly dedicated band of followers. The only parallel I can think of is the Beetle following of the fifties and sixties.

Colin, it seems, has spotted the strange nature of this beast and, bravely, is willing to offer some room for development. Alright - let's see where it goes!

• Like 1

I think it should be left to Colin to choose from those that contact him.

I agree - but nowt wrong with encouraging people to volunteer. Feel the luuuuurve.

Out of the many who I feel could do the job and there are a few on here, my vote would be TP.

Not that he should feel pressurised into volunteering, it should be his decision, if he feels he has the time to carry out these duties. As the saying goes "one volunteer is better than .........."