Has anyone been given a delivery date for the Blackline Octavia VRS?

The bottles of oil depend on dealer - I know of one locally who sacked a service tech because he was swiping them on PDIs and flogging them on eBay. A mate who works at another main dealer says he has a couple of dozen stashed at work which he uses for private jobs. I very much doubt that these are isolated incidents........

Nice one BA..... I had to buy mine :rofl: when you say full size do you mean 225/40 r18 or the one on the 16 inch rim- if it's the latter it'll be the same as the 1 I bought and the dealer said I'd still be limited to 50mph even tho it's a full size wheel because it's not the same size as thye other 3....

Both my Octys have come with 1 litre of free oil in a nice storage case that velcros in to the boot (mine was on the right hand side)

• Like 1

This shows you how keen I was to drive the car away without fully investigating everything - did everyone else get a bottle of oil in a smart looking bag that velcros on to the wall on the boot?

Yep. Same place

Nice one BA..... I had to buy mine :rofl: when you say full size do you mean 225/40 r18 or the one on the 16 inch rim- if it's the latter it'll be the same as the 1 I bought and the dealer said I'd still be limited to 50mph even tho it's a full size wheel because it's not the same size as thye other 3....

Both my Octys have come with 1 litre of free oil in a nice storage case that velcros in to the boot (mine was on the right hand side)

Yes it is the 16 inch rim and not the full sized ones - I guess all safe putting this on but restricted to 50mph?

I think SkodaUK have missed a trick here because in the brochure there is no mention of the maxidot and spare wheel being part of the deal - whereas a year ago I would have spec'd these items if I factory ordered a petrol VRS. Makes the car even better value having these items.

Littleade - I wonder if it is worth asking your dealer whether you should have paid for the spare as looks like might have been included anyway?

Edited by BA Baracus

Yes it is the 16 inch rim and not the full sized ones - I guess all safe putting this on but restricted to 50mph?

I think SkodaUK have missed a trick here because in the brochure there is no mention of the maxidot and spare wheel being part of the deal - whereas a year ago I would have spec'd these items if I factory ordered a petrol VRS. Makes the car even better value having these items.

Littleade - I wonder if it is worth asking your dealer whether you should have paid for the spare as looks like might have been included anyway?

Hi Mate,

Most skodas come with the p0xy compressor and gung as standard, if you want the spare normally it's a factory option at extra cost. I know this to be correct having bought 2 Octys in the last 15 months- each time I wanted the spare, but couldn't have it as the car had already left the factory when I got my TSI and on the blackline it wasn't a factory option full stop, because they were not offering any at all. My wheel well in the boot both times had a preformed foam insert to take the repair kit and compressor, so I know that's how it left the factory. When I picked up my spare from the dealers it definatly had the 50mph sticker on it and they made sure I was aware of this too as I assumed the same as you and there was no restriction because it's not a bicycle tyre! If you take the tyre out and turn it over I think the max 50mph sticker is still on the wheel?

Bottom line mate is you had a free spare wheel- did you get the jack and brace too as these don't come with the compressor/gung- best check!. You probably got it because they'd run out of bits on the assembly line. As far as the brochure is concerned it's cr8p - typical Skoda brochure I'm afraid 'cause it made no mention of the SD slot for your music, plus it says you've got duel zone air con, when in fact you've got duel zone climate control.

As far as the wheel is concerned probs excluded initially on cost (bet you've only got a 61ah battery too) and as the co2 figures are right on the top limit at 149 for the VED, so with the spare it'd probably be in the next tax band (unless you've got the DSG in which case it already is!). TBH it was such a good deal I didn't mind paying out the 100 ish quid for the spare wheel kit as no doubt it'll fit my next Octy so I'll keep it when I trade it in..... Just don't tell the wife!

cheers

Ade

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Yes, just noticed the wing mirror heater selector behind my euro version switch!

Thought red was the fastest colour, defo white now.

I recognise that switch as I've been in a vRS out in Slovakia - it's actually the version for the electric folding mirrors - sadly an option we have never got over here.

Have you flipped the switch round and tried it? Just thinking what a bonus if you've got the electric folding mirrors as they are probably reaching the bottom of the parts bins

Dougall

The spare is not standard equipment. I have a steel spare in mine, but only because I insisted on the dealer supplying one as part of the deal. Normally it is just a can of tyre gunk as standard equipment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I recognise that switch as I've been in a vRS out in Slovakia - it's actually the version for the electric folding mirrors - sadly an option we have never got over here.

Have you flipped the switch round and tried it? Just thinking what a bonus if you've got the electric folding mirrors as they are probably reaching the bottom of the parts bins

Dougall

Would there not be a symbol to fold the mirrors? Nothing to indicate that it can do this. I've used the old fashioned manual method to get the car in the garage.

BA not to worry picked my white DSG estate up last Thurs and it has its issues.....front grille tarnished and to be replaced....also got something jangling about in the tailgate when opened and closed.

Like yourself im sure forgiving the little faults given what it cost.

Can also confirm mine came with a 16 inch spare wheel; sounds like all the blacklines did....had to pay the 75 quid for it mind!

Edited by pipsyp

I bought a space saver for my old MK5 GTI which I think is either a 17 or 18 inch one and kept it for my Blackline.

Why do you get a 16 inch spare for a car that takes 18 inch wheels?

I did not get the tyre bar or jack with mine - just got the pointless gunk and pump.

I might be misunderstanding things, but i thought the spare had "taller" tyres on it, so that in terms of distance from the middle to the outside, the small spare with big tyre was the same as big wheel with "thin"/low profile tyre ?

Would there not be a symbol to fold the mirrors? Nothing to indicate that it can do this. I've used the old fashioned manual method to get the car in the garage.

Sorry probably confused things.

By the looks of your picture I thought the symbol opposite the L and R looked right the icon for the fold mirrors rather than the one for heated mirrors. I assume your mirrors heat up rather than fold.

I bought a space saver for my old MK5 GTI which I think is either a 17 or 18 inch one and kept it for my Blackline.

Why do you get a 16 inch spare for a car that takes 18 inch wheels?

I did not get the tyre bar or jack with mine - just got the pointless gunk and pump.

Think it must just be economies of scale- if you want a spare for an Octy you get the 16" rim with the taller (and for the vRS) thinner tyre irrespective of which model you've got. Some have bought a full size 18" rim with a 225/40 18 tyre on it but from what I remember it sits a bit more proud in the boot so leaves a hump in your boot space. I've got the 'official' spare and its definitely got the lovely yellow sticker with the 50mph markings on the rim. All Octys have the same rolling circumference no matter what the tyre/rim combination. as wet kipper says smaller rim just means a higher profile tyre, so more comfort/more tyre roll/less stability.

My compressor/gunk & dedicated spare wheel holder for it is in the garage and will probably stay there until I change the vRS. Skoda's rationale is that if you haven't got a spare you don't need a jack or wheel brace!

Sorry probably confused things.

By the looks of your picture I thought the symbol opposite the L and R looked right the icon for the fold mirrors rather than the one for heated mirrors. I assume your mirrors heat up rather than fold.

Correct.

Not too bothered about flat tyre issue - that's why we have all singing dancing breakdown cover!

I guess to sum up the car if I had to put it in the Tesco brand ranking system: value; mainstream; and finest, it would sit firmly in the mainstream product line. It is not a cheap and cheerful car but you can see where cost cutting has been done to make the price competitive: grab handles pinging back; no light above visors; stitching in the seats that might not last the time; *cough* 'leather' seats; carpet mats finishing at the heel (rather than continue up under the pedals)...

But no complaints here. If it lasts well for 3.5 years then I will have a difficult decision to make - tradein/buy or hand back. While new to this whole PCP thing I think the advantage is it gives me choice. So if it is a disaster I will just hand back and walk away - although I am not expecting this.

TBH, I have bought new VWs before and they had their fair share of problems from the start including broken springs, so no brand is perfect.

I honestly think VW relies more on its image rather than actual reliability. But if Skoda give me good reliability and excellent customer service I will be converted.

I'll have to check my mats now! I hadnt noticed. Kept the ones from my old vRS anyway if its an issue for me! I also have no idea why I didnt keep the spare from the old one, on the basis that when I handed the keys over the dealer said "theres no spare in that either is there"....Like you said though, thats what the breakdown cover is for; I'm not adverse to a little DIY and car maintenance, and Im in no way prescious about clothes- but the chances of me changing a wheel on the hard shoulder in the rain, whilst in my suit are slim to none!

• Like 1

I was initially a little disappointed with my new Blackline. I think I had a little buyers remorse.

Now? After 4 months ownership?

Well, apart from the problematic reversing sensors I now LOVE my Octavia.

My wife has now nicked it as her daily driver, as she hates our new mk3 Focus ST. I have to admit, I can't get along with the Focus though.

On a morning, I often stand at the upstairs window to wave goodbye to my wife and kids. But I can't take my eyes off the VRS. I honestly think it looks fab. And this is from someone who has owned many, many sporty cars over the last 20 years.

I love jumping into it on a weekend, and it's often the 1st choice of the 2 cars when we are going anywhere as a family.

• Like 1

Hi guys, fairly new here , ive ordered a new blackline estate in black and wondering should i have waited another 9 months to see the new vrs deals ? I felt the blackline deal with DSG was hard to refuse ?