columbus tv ?

kilworth

Just wondering if it is possible to activate the tv function in a standard Columbus unit ?, the menu option is on screen so is the hardware already installed in the unit ?.also another question does anyone think a main dealer would change the speed option limit setting to allow for dvds to play on the move , tks for any feedback

Hi, my thoughts would be that if the hardware was there, ie the receiver, then you'd have the feature already. As you have no option to switch on the telly I would say there is no receiver in your car.

As for the speed limit restricting the DVD, I would suggest not. Can't imagine any dealer would be that irresponsible with matters of safety.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I have a the tv unit and it's a separate din sized box in the RHS storage box.

Tv is fantastic - spent most of July driving around listening to itv4 coverage of the tour de france and pulled over to watch the end of stages!

Brilliant when waiting for kids to turn up.

I have a the tv unit and it's a separate din sized box in the RHS storage box.

Tv is fantastic - spent most of July driving around listening to itv4 coverage of the tour de france and pulled over to watch the end of stages!

Brilliant when waiting for kids to turn up.

And when the wife is shopping! :rofl:

I would be interested if you find any way to upgrade the unit with the TV function through skoda with out voiding the warranty and costs.

When my 2012 elegance was in the dealer for repairs i asked about upgrading the system and the servicing dept where very helpful.

They found 3 parts on the skoda list for the L&K but advised they needed to check with skoda technical first before ordering to see i need all 3 parts or if any are already fitted.

This is where it stopped.

Technical advised that it is not possible to add any of the parts to the elegance columbus unit to upgrade for the tv function.

They advised that it is a different columbus unit fitted to the L&K and the L&K parts will not work on the elegance units.

Did not ask how much the L&K unit would cost,

Thus the only way i can see to upgrade is to fit after market reciever but told that will void my warranty on the unit and electrics so have not upgraded.

From what I've found, you need the TV tuner plus bracket and covers, and the antennas and wiring. The hardest bit is probably the wiring.

There would need to be a connection from the TV tuner in the rear, to the columbus unit, and antenna leads. For the estate, the TV antennas are in the sideglass, and you replace the radio antenna modules with new ones that include the TV antenna, and have a second connection.

So it's beyond just plugging in a box, that's for sure. In terms of voiding warranty, my reading of the warranty Ts and Cs says that fitting acessories doesn't void the warranty, but of course if your fitting causes the problem, or fixing a problem requires removal of your bits, then you will be charged. I've not tested this, but also not seen any reasoned argument against this interpretation.

I thougt you could get an "after market" add-on unit that has a small ariel you place in the front windscreen? thought I'd seen them on Fleabay?

Edited by Tankdave

There are no aerials fitted, you'll need to either use the one that comes with the aftermarket tuner or replace the aerial module as mentioned in the previous post.

A fellow forum member has already retrofitted freeview to their Columbus with good results.

From the previous post.

Is there any links for what you need to purchase to retro fit the tv?

Any Instructions on how to remove the columbus unit and how and install the tv equipment?

Does any software need to be installed or upgraded on the unit to use the tv function?

Assume to avoid any warranty issues will need to remove or disconnect any connects to the columbus unit before any dealer visits for servicing, warranty work etc and uninstall any software required for the tv to work. Can and is this easy to do?

Can a rear view camera also be installed to run on the columbus unit together with tv adaptor if i am going to install the tv adaptor at the same time?

Are there enough connections to do both and again has anybody done this to their car with any links on what to purchase and how to install?

I installed the DVB Logic TV Tuner & Multimedia interface(DVB-VG5 ), costing in excess of £500, back in November 2011 in my then new MY12 Superb.

The glove box and the Columbus unit has to be removed for installation.

The system comes with a interface which gives media in motion. I did not want this and the supplier and distributor were very helpful in obtaining a special interface which could have the media in motion disabled.

The system was purchased from....

Incarunlimited.com Contact name... Andy

Who obtained the equipment from...

Media in Motion (UK) Contact name... Jason (UK distributor)

I would highly recommend both the above companies, their after sales service was first class.

Installation straight forward, plug and play as described, there was no need to select TV present with VCDS. Initial tests were good, TV reception was first class.

However !......

There were problems with the Columbus touchscreen system controlling the TV system.

The majority of the touchscreen controls did not work.

Both Andy and Jason tried their best to have the problem resolved with the German supplier.

They were not successful, but the TV could be controlled with the supplied remote control.

All was good for a few weeks then the TV locked up with a blank screen.

With the support of Andy & Jason three replacement tuners were tried, all suffered from the same problem.

When the TV locked up the remote was non operational. Sometimes the TV tuner would clear the problem if left overnight or if the tuner was disconnected. Two of the supplied tuners would not reset.

From the numerous tests I carried it seemed like the TV tuner was spuriously reacting to some CanBus control data. The tuner would intermittently lockup when reverse selected and the parking sensor display was shown on the Columbus screen(I have front and rear sensors). It would seem the TV system was switching to AV input and the only way to change this setting was via the touchscreen system.... which does not work !

To cut a long story short, my money was refunded. I purchased a DVBT-1080 with aerials from Incarunlimited and an interface from Ebay.

The ebay interface is ok but sometimes when switching the TV on the Columbus displays " TV Tuner not present", switching off/on normally clears the problem. Using VCDS it logs about four errors caused by the interface. VCDS is required to select TV installed. The Ebay supplier was pretty useless in his support.

The DVBT-1080 is first class even has a USB input for your own movies photos etc.

The installation of this TV system requires some technical skills and understanding of circuit diagrams.... not for the feint hearted !

I have tried speaking to a number of Columbus/ RNS510 multimedia interface suppliers, the majority seem to be distributors who have little knowledge of what they are supplying.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had tv as standard on various Range Rovers gong back to 2002. In the 8 years of owning them I used it about 5-6 times, so when I replaced last RR for superb in 2010 I didn't miss TV at all. Now DAB for the cricket on the other hand, I do miss.

Cheers

Steve

Hi all.

I have a 2012 superb L + K which came with factory fitted TV. The system includes a control unit mounted in the boot on the right side behind the lining, and a special antenna as part of the wiring of the rear window, I don't know what else if any.

Regards the question about the system working with a reverse camera, I had a reverse camera fitted by Gareth from HazzyDayz, he is a very accomplished technician, and because the columbus spare connection was occupied by the tv, he had to splice the wiring loom and fit a special relay to switch between the two when entering reverse gear.

However, because there is as of now no Skoda with a factory fitted reverse camera, he had to use a VW control unit, and although it worked perfectly, because the MFSW of Skoda have different button arrangements than those of VW, it meant that the reverse camera control unit interfered through the canbus to the steering wheel controls and they didn't function correctly. After several attempts to correct the problem, the system was removed and I was refunded my money. I am still waiting for Skoda to produce the correct control unit.

All the best

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

• 3 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

There's also a mounting bracket to hold the TV tuner in the boot. Can't find that so far, though I assume a dealer would have it.