What's the radio like with just 2 speakers?

RapidRonnie

With the six speaker set in our car I found that the best sound was to be had by reducing the base by a few clicks. I found that as I reduced the base by each click that the sound clarified and there was still enough of it. The treble was left centered. Sounds fine now, for what it is, to someone who is a keen hifi nut for over thirty years. The sound will probably mellow after a period of playing...this is quite usual with electronics from new.

I prefer the treble right to maximum ! It gives a far better sound to my ears ;) I have my bass just under half way up.

Wiring isnt in the car without the entertainment pack specified. I think mechanic saw this after removing panel and said sod this.

6x9 will be good on the shelf, even eyed up some enclosures for them which would be better but more cumbersome. I would probably move the balance about 70%-30% to the rear and will sound goooood!!!!

Just a pity there are no connections for sub, only LF,LR,LR,RR. :(

I imagine when you fold it up the weight of speakers will fold it right back down for you. :D

As nice as the Citigo is, it's not for people who like music enthusiastically.

With 2 speakers or 4, the sound system is never going to be as good as most of the other cars Skoda produce, plus the built in radio/stereo is not easy to upgrade.

So it's fine for listening to stuff, but the quality is well below the Yeti in my opinion. (+Octavia/Suberb)

You have to remember it's a small cheap car.

I prefer the treble right to maximum ! It gives a far better sound to my ears ;) I have my bass just under half way up.

Maybe the difference between our settings, regardless of taste, is also influenced by the presence of the tweeters in my six speaker set and your two speaker set, without tweeters. This might mean you have to push the treble more.

• Like 1

Maybe the difference between our settings, regardless of taste, is also influenced by the presence of the tweeters in my six speaker set and your two speaker set, without tweeters. This might mean you have to push the treble more.

Yes you could have something there. The two set ups might need differnet settings for optimum sound quality. But there is the personal taste thing as well, people will prefer their settings different to the next person.

Having looked at the parcel shelf in a demonstrator I wonder how much weight one will carry.

It's quite strong and I dont use the boot much anyway. Can always use a stick to hold it up anyway....lol.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Had a Citigo when my Octavia was in for a service, and it was a great little car!

Biggest disappointment to me was the two speaker radio/CD. It would have been interesting to try the full treble thing to see if it improved things.

I had a trip to the dealer today to get the faulty headlight switch replaced, so I had a chance to play some music from the PID. I set the treble up full with the bass at about half.

It was OK, not bad at all for only 2 speakers, though not as good as the Fabia Elegance, or the systems in the Octavia. No complaints though, the car cruises quietly enough that it's no problem to listen to :)

Perhaps of topic, as I have the 6 spkr. system, and the extra tweeters in the window arches may have contributed, but I find that the best position for me is to turn down both the treble and bass two notches or so. I don't know if it would apply to the two speaker system or not, but what I found was that it wasn't a lack of treble was causing the element of muddling or lack of clarity, but the level and quality of the bass. I found that leaving the bass at middle setting and increasing the treble didn't cut it for me.

For two speaker systems, without the tweeters, perhaps reducing the base, instead of increasing the treble might give satisfaction.

Being a Hi-Fi fan, good clear sound has always been important to me. Initially I thought the two speaker sound was pretty awful on the 'flat', zero settings. Many people simply ramp up the bass and treble fully and are quite happy with that! However all this does is push the mid-range sounds to the background (muddy!!)

For me I find the treble up x2 and the bass flat, or reduced by 1 provides an acceptable and reasonably clear sound. Definitely not Hi-Fi though :think: !

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the standard set up in the Citigo today and wasn't too impressed with the quality, although you could hear it quite comfortably still at motorway speeds. Mum ordered the entertainment pack though as only £100 extra and hopefully a decent improvement.

Being a Hi-Fi fan, good clear sound has always been important to me. Initially I thought the two speaker sound was pretty awful on the 'flat', zero settings. Many people simply ramp up the bass and treble fully and are quite happy with that! However all this does is push the mid-range sounds to the background (muddy!!)

For me I find the treble up x2 and the bass flat, or reduced by 1 provides an acceptable and reasonably clear sound. Definitely not Hi-Fi though :think: !

Yes, I would confirm that the sound of the standard two speaker system is nothing like as good as my two previous Octavia's, an L&K and an Elegance. The six speaker sound system in those was really very good.

My Citigo was a dealer pre-order, so I had no choice (but I did get it very quickly!!). I would recommend any person putting in a factory order to have the additional loudspeakers if they have any interest in better sound.

I also have found the signal reception is not as good as the Octy's, so I would be cautious about fitting a shorter aerial as some owners have suggested. Just one more thing on this point - radio aerials were usually matched impedance wise to the receiver. Just fitting a slightly shorter aerial could be logarithmically worse - ie a couple of cm shorter significantly reducing the signal strength.

Edited by CortinaGT
  • Like 1

Just a general note. Like with most audio electronics some use helps to 'burn' in the electronics, speakers and wiring. This could take up to a 100 hours, but usually results in a mellower, more relaxed sound.

• Like 1

Good point Liam2. In particular in the car environment I would think the loudspeakers will audibly benefit from use.

(And I think Liam2 has also dabbled with Hi-Fi. ;-))

Edited by CortinaGT

Good point Liam2. In particular in the car environment I would think the loudspeakers will audibly benefit from use.

(And I think Liam2 has also dabbled with Hi-Fi. ;-))

Only since the late 1970's ;)

• 3 weeks later...

As I just had the citigo for the day as a loaner, I can say the 2 speakers are ok for basic radio but do sound tinning. If you like your music upgrade for sure!

Due to the cost saving construction of the car, I bet you would hear a noticeable improvement just by adding Dynamat or similar in the doors.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but....

I had a mii with the additional speakers and when making calls via the pid Bluetooth the noise cancellation failed miserably unless I turned the fader onto front speakers only.

Now I have a citigo with only front speakers the calls are acceptable, although by means fantastic.

Has anyone managed to swap out the head unit for one of the newer ones while retaining pid functionality?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but....

I had a mii with the additional speakers and when making calls via the pid Bluetooth the noise cancellation failed miserably unless I turned the fader onto front speakers only.

Now I have a citigo with only front speakers the calls are acceptable, although by means fantastic.

Has anyone managed to swap out the head unit for one of the newer ones while retaining pid functionality?

Not entirely sure what you mean? I've recently added 2 additional speakers but have yet to try them whilst on the phone