Fabia Vrs Oil Fix

They do get a full refirb, which includes cleaning and ends up looking like a new unit.

George is quite well versed in the subject of what ECU goes where and how it works with replacmeent engines based on peoples experiences - I must admit am lost in it :).

One thing the refurbishment of the engine is not going to achieve is the tolerances in block casting. If cylinders are out of whack causing liners to distort then such an engine should be scrapped really.

I recently linked the only list of Revised parts in the CTHE, that i know of from a VAG forum.

on the wrong computer so no idea what thread it is in, unless 'sharkrider' remembers.

No idea why VAG ever mess CAVE engine owners about when 'the ones with a problem' are world wide.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f128/polo-gti-high-oil-usage-discussion-thread-57967-154.html

(we have yet to get any 'using oil' thread to 154 pages, but thats maybe because there are so many stretching back 3 years all through the section.)

I remember it being posted george, it was translated from italian I think! its how I know about the cylinder changes, I remember that point specifically (because it could be part of their "fixes" , there were also changes to the oil system, and cam...... cant remember anything else (different ECU too) but the list was extensive....

can't bloody remember what thread it was in though!

• Like 1

Vicky,

Surely you haven't got problems with your new Monte!!! That's just bad luck after everything you went through with the vRS.

I have now done 3,700 miles since the CAVE engine replacement and have used one litre of oil (that is two top ups of 0.5 litre a time when oil level from hot was down to the bottom of the hatched area of the dip stick). The new engine was run-in using the Jabozuma method. Oil consumption is much better than before but at this rate I will be using 3 litres of oil per year (12,000 miles) assuming it doesn't get any worse. I'm happy with the car again.

Yes!!! Had a faulty coolant the day after I picked it up!!! It now needs a new mdi unit and dashboard computer as I keep losing the petrol gauge!!! You couldn't make my bad luck up could you!!! The old VRS is up for sale at the garage...... No mention of its 4th engine in the advert though!!!!!! Hope yours is all going well.

well mine has gone back for oil consumption test (after breather mod), bickertons have said 'think we'll be ordering a new engine, it'll be the 1st one we've done usually the breather pipe works'

Have to say it had a distinctive whiff to it

well mine has gone back for oil consumption test (after breather mod), bickertons have said 'think we'll be ordering a new engine, it'll be the 1st one we've done usually the breather pipe works'

At least 30 people have reported on this forum that they had the breather mod fitted. Over 20 have subsequently reported that it did not work. Only 1 or 2 positive reports exist on here for the breather mod. Therefore I would question Bickertons response.

• Like 1

Do not believe them.

(surely they meant anything under was acceptable, ie using less oil.)

Ask them which of the Employees in the Dealership puts £8 worth of oil in their car for every tank and a half of fuel added!

0.5 litres per 1000km, it says, in manuals. Maybe slightly higher  in the first 5000km.

(that would be 1/2 a litre in 621 miles,  1 litre every 1200 miles or so,

9-10 litres of oil maybe used in topping up between annual services,

they are having a laugh.)

"May be as much as."  Page 168.

All Fabia Owners manuals might say that in them for all engines as a figure but ask to see that as the 'Official Acceptable amount of oil usage'

Ask to see the Technical Advice of the Oil Consumption test on a 1.4 TSI S-A engine.

george

• Like 1

just booked mine in to get the oil checked. They said the tollerance was 1ltr per 600 miles an anything over was acceptable. Blades Skoda long Ashton

It is up to half a litre per 1.000 km, says in the owners manual..

TeamPASAOGLU

just booked mine in to get the oil checked. They said the tollerance was 1ltr per 600 miles an anything over was acceptable. Blades Skoda long Ashton

We are still hearing some ridiculous comments from some of the dealers. Perhaps some have had little experience of the oil consumption issues, perhaps some staff are just ill informed. I strongly advise anyone in this country who suspects their vRS oil consumption is too high to open a case with Skoda UK. Also demand free top oil whilst your case is under investigation.

• Like 1

I recently linked the only list of Revised parts in the CTHE, that i know of from a VAG forum.

on the wrong computer so no idea what thread it is in, unless 'sharkrider' remembers.

No idea why VAG ever mess CAVE engine owners about when 'the ones with a problem' are world wide.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f128/polo-gti-high-oil-usage-discussion-thread-57967-154.html

(we have yet to get any 'using oil' thread to 154 pages, but thats maybe because there are so many stretching back 3 years all through the section.)

UPDATE - Just had a call from my dealer (first contact since oil consumption test) and they have been informed that Skoda wish them to do a 'Base engine' replacement on my car. No further details on what that actually is so I'm waiting until next week when the person I have been dealing with at Skoda UK returns from holiday to find out exactly what this means before I let them anywhere near my car!

• Like 1

So what mileage/ age are cars having engines swapped?  and what warranty is given on a replacement? - if the car is almost 3 years aold and a new engine is fitted after the car reaches 3 years old do they wash their hands and ask for owners to pay if the new engine develops the same problem?

No answer to that in the UK. Yet!

Hopefully if someone does end up with a bad one once out of Warranty they take Legal Action against Skoda/VAG and we will find out where they stand since Skoda/VAG seem to just pretend it is no major or widespread problem.

In Mainland Europe there are Twinchargers with problems that were out of warranty after 2 years.

Someone with knowledge of what has happened can maybe comment.

The first UK cars were available in June 2010. the CAVE engine which was in the Seat Ibiza from 2009

Some of those had problems within the first few thousand miles.

Some had new piston rings fitted.

The saga has continued with some cars till the 3rd 1/4 of 2012 when the CTHE engine was introduced.

MilgeS has the newer engine.

& thats one of the few new engines with reported troubles.

Skoda were saying you would not get an extended warranty, but that was a year ago when UK cars still had a years Warranty left.

Now some cars are out of the 3 year Warranty,

& some owners have been told the Warranty on the replacement engine will be extended.

All different stories given to different owners with problem cars.

george

Yes!!! Had a faulty coolant the day after I picked it up!!! It now needs a new mdi unit and dashboard computer as I keep losing the petrol gauge!!! You couldn't make my bad luck up could you!!! The old VRS is up for sale at the garage...... No mention of its 4th engine in the advert though!!!!!! Hope yours is all going well.

Vicky just go out and buy a VW :D

• Like 1

My oil lamp came on today oil level was mid hash marks last week, now off the scale  :sweat:

chucked half a litre in 15 mins after turning off (v hot) left for ten mins checked again bottom of hash 

chucked 250ml in left ten and just up to half way, slung the rest in and just upto the A line in manual 

A litre in 2000 miles ....consider this monitored 

Binzie,

To check the oil, maybe try.

Open the bonnet when the engine & oil  is cold.

Dip the oil.

(it might well when it has the correct amount of oil, be sitting above the Crosshatched area and below the top Orange Marker, ie, Off the Scale.)

Dipstick back in.

Go turn on the engine and stop right away,

just on then off.

Dip the oil.  See where it is.

(assuming the oil shows as it should up in area 'A'.

So,

Once you have driven the car and have hot oil & stop.

Dip it after 5 minutes.

You might find the Hot Dip reading is the same as the Cold Oil and engine started,stopped level.

No real need to do Hot Dips.

george

Been monitoring my oil levels recently, mines a 62 plate CTHE currently on just over 5400 miles, heres my log of oil usage:

1450 to 3276 - 1 litre added

Another 250ml added at 3834

Another 500ml added at 4728

Another 750ml added at 5402

Total oil used in my 3950 miles of ownership: 2.5 litres.

The consumption doesn't seem to make much sense, I would have expected it to stabilise as i put more miles on but as you can see from my findings it seems to be getting worse. I did mention consumption to my dealer in conversation a while back before it was much of a worry to me and he said the expected figure is 1litre per 1000 miles. So basically he was hoping i was illiterate and didn't realise the manual says 1litre per 1000km. Although my usage may not exceed the stated figure it is still a lot IMO.

• Like 1