Fabia Vrs Oil Fix

They do talk cr4p.

The Figures in Owners manuals,  is as you know.

which no Skoda Technician would accept on their own car.

No Skoda employee is likely to accept putting in £8 worth of oil with every 2 or 2 1/2 tanks of fuel.

(The 1 litre in 1000 miles figure that is being spouted by some idiots.)

the .5 litres in 621 miles is just as ridiculous actually.

0.5 Litres per 1000km. (621 miles)

Maybe more in the first 5000 km.   (maybe more dependent on style of driving or use.)

That is in the Owners Manual for every Engine in the range,

Just because it says it in writing does not make that an acceptable useage of oil.

I hope you are not overfilling.

george

They do talk cr4p.

The Figures in Owners manuals,  is as you know.

which no Skoda Technician would accept on their own car.

No Skoda employee is likely to accept putting in £8 worth of oil with every 2 or 2 1/2 tanks of fuel.

(The 1 litre in 1000 miles figure that is being spouted by some idiots.)

the .5 litres in 621 miles is just as ridiculous actually.

0.5 Litres per 1000km. (621 miles)

Maybe more in the first 5000 km.   (maybe more dependent on style of driving or use.)

That is in the Owners Manual for every Engine in the range,

Just because it says it in writing does not make that an acceptable useage of oil.

I hope you are not overfilling.

george

Yeah sorry, in my previous post i was meant to say 0.5l per 1000km, and as you say that in itself is a load of rubbish.

Obviously being under warranty I'm not going to go into some massive panic although as you say the cost of the oil isn't exactly enjoyable. The only concern for me is, if the CTHE was supposed to be the solution to the CAVE engine woes, and, as it turns out  the new engines can be just as bad, where do they go from there? How do you fix a problem with something that has already been "fixed".

Sadly 'MilgeS' was one of the first on here to notice & be concerned by High Oil Consumption with a CTHE engine.

If you think you have a problem i would have it Logged now with Skoda UK.

Get the details & oil usage details off to them, and try to get some Technical advise & have them taking you seriously.

*They will now have to start covering the cost of your oil, and expenses until they get things dealt with.

It took then 2 years untill they did with the CAVE engine, and they know the fault is of their making and not the car owners and their customers.*

They have the opportunity early on to take action with CTHE engtines.

Check your Engines, find where the problem with their manufacturing tolerances are.

If it is left to Dealerships that seem unaware of the ongoing problems it will drag on again for another 3 years.

Obviously Dealership workshops that see faulty cars have some experience of them.

Service Desks and Salespeople listen then think you are daft, 

and some fool that thinks cars should not use some oil.

george

I'll try and pop into the local dealer if I have the chance, even if it is to get a complimentary bottle of oil for now because I'm going away in the car over the weekend so don't want to get caught short oil wise. Will also try and see what rubbish they try and fob me off with, whilst keeping a record of all oil usage and the various false comments from the dealers before going to SUK. 

Will keep you guys up to date as things proceed, and one thing i will tell you is that i will NOT be sent away with a courtesy Citigo if they decide to take my car in, it will be equivalent or nothing, which i will state from the very beginning.

Cheers sk4gw.

Edited by Ryan's VRS
  • Like 1

My 2011 Vrs used very little oil but still required a new engine a week or so ago due to excessive wear of the bores.

Seems a bit of a lottery with the engines and mine had been fault free for over two years.

Hi guys, today I went to the dealer to see what is the progress..

This my engine waiting to be installed to my car...:)

Posted Image

And it bulit at jan 2012.. so I believe it is a CAVE engine..

Posted Image

TeamPASAOGLU

• Like 1

excuse my stupidity stevie.d, but how did they know you needed a new engine if oil usage was ok?

the dealer spent 6 days testing the engine as per skoda's instructions and after splitting the engine to check bores and pistons deemed it excessively worn.

had only done 20,000 miles up until then.

the dealer spent 6 days testing the engine as per skoda's instructions and after splitting the engine to check bores and pistons deemed it excessively worn.

had only done 20,000 miles up until then.

Um...so what was the problem that had them testing it for 6 days?

Um...so what was the problem that had them testing it for 6 days?

Lol....sorry.

Trying to do to many things at once here.

Engine was running rough throughout rev range, epc light/eml light would pop on when any throttle was applied and car occasionally run on 3 cylinders

Was also chucking out lots of oily blue smoke when rev'd hard

^^sounded nasty. I'm glad I havent got that (says crossing his fingers for the new engine)

These 'new' engines, I know they're used ones but do they re-bore them before refitting the pistons. If that is the case wouldnt that make the engine size slightly larger?

The one pictured above should not be a Rebuilt engine, that is the information i posted for ordering one, in post #608

& the cost, 8,300 Euro including taxes.

(A new engine should come with a Warranty,

so why should Skoda not be telling that to the Customer having it installed under Warranty?)

george

Had a chat with Skoda UK today re my oil problem, I've been told the 'base engine' is pistons etc and that in 'all the cases he's known, this has resolved the oil usage problem'. I've been assured that if it doesn't, all steps will be taken to make sure I am satisfied.

I will be checking the build date too, I've also been assured I won't be getting anything older than when my car was built fitted.

Provisional date for the base engine change is August 14th, might change if it's not here on time or if I reject it if it's older than I'm happy with.

Let's wait and see.

• Like 1

Was that a Technical Trained Engineer/Technician or a Customer Services phone receptionist.?

Never yet heard a Customer Services or Technical person say,

'Who knows, but lets try and see how it goes!'.

Their job is to tell Customers the 'Offiial Line'.

& that means, We have no idea how many 'Cases he has known', to judge his experience.

Maybe best to,

Get it from them in writing  IMO,

and have them set out and confirm if their intentions to replace your faulty engine with a new built from

the production line CTHE engine,

and that will be a like for like but not just a' Re-cycled/reburbished'  CTHE engine.

george

• Like 1

Was that a Technical Trained Engineer/Technician or a Customer Services phone receptionist.?

Never yet heard a Customer Services or Technical person say,

'Who knows, but lets try and see how it goes!'.

Their job is to tell Customers the 'Offiial Line'.

& that means, We have no idea how many 'Cases he has known', to judge his experience.

Maybe best to,

Get it from them in writing  IMO,

and have them set out and confirm if their intentions to replace your faulty engine with a new built from

the production line CTHE engine,

and that will be a like for like but not just a' Re-cycled/reburbished'  CTHE engine.

george

He was customer services, very nice and helpful person and has been very helpful and sorted other queries and problems in the past so I have faith in him when he says it will be sorted to my satisfaction etc.

I believe him in what he says about the fix working in his limited knowledge, they must have many customer service people, not all will deal with 100 oil fix issues!

My local dealer have insisted to Skoda they will not fit anything other than new built to my car, they're new to the franchise and don't want their reputation harmed.

• Like 1

My local dealer have insisted to Skoda they will not fit anything other than new built to my car, they're new to the franchise and don't want their reputation harmed.

They must be new! I saw the franchise agreements during my time at VAG and they'll take what they're given in all honesty :-)))))

The warranty is with Skoda UK.

• Like 1

They must be new! I saw the franchise agreements during my time at VAG and they'll take what they're given in all honesty :-)))))

The warranty is with Skoda UK.

I can only go by what they told me and they said they had 2 part numbers, one was reconditioned, the other new, so they've ordered the new one.

I record my phone calls I make on my mobile and they're backed up too, so I have it as proof what they said :-)

• Like 1

Had the breather pipe fitted to my car when it was in for a service. Haven't given it a proper run since I came straight home and I haven't driven it for 2 days. They printed off the technical bulletin of it too for me to keep.

Hi Guys and Girls,

Can I get some advice on the oil issue.  My car was registered on the 27/07/10 ( I have two days warranty left)

I bought my car as it's third owner, previously it had been registered to Dennis Horton Skoda and then it's main owner who appears to have run it for most of the 32,000 miles it had on the clock when I picked it up.  I bought the car in Feb this year and have added a little over 4,000 miles, through not having been on Briskoda enough and researching potential issues with the car I hadn't given the oil a second thought, in fact with the warranty coming up i have had my nose buried in threads on APR vs Revo Remaps, ITG intakes and turboback exhaust systems.

Low and behold on checking the level yesterday (warm) I could barely get the bulb at the bottom of the stick wet (yikes).  This looks like the best part of the 3.6 litres has been used over 4,000miles, seems excessive to me but not as bad as some on here (albeit ridiculous for most other cars)

I also had a friend hook up a VCDS for some minor tinkering on door locking, MPH display etc and the car has got logs of misfires.

My big concern is the fact I am two days away from warranty deadline.  Can anyone say from experience, as I know my car is one of the early registrations if there is any willingness from Skoda to support the 1.4TSI engine issues beyond three year warranty as the issues are known?

Also do you think that it is worth trying to get an extended warranty?

Just to add to the above.

Oil light never came on - which was a surprise as the dip showed levels really rather low.

Been offered from dealer £300.00 for a 12 month extension, £530 for 24 - only exclusions (as per phone conversation) are trim, water ingress and wiring.

Another question: with two days to do if I flag an issue now, do they have an obligation to see through the "fix" beyond the end of the warranty if already started.

If the level is right at the bottom of the dipstick ( and,as you say,no warning light) the sump isn't empty,you have only used about 1 litre,which in 4000 miles is fine.

Best to do regular checks and add oil in 500 ml quantities.

Too soon to panic,I think.

I would take that warranty extension offer.

If you have no knowledge of the cars oil use which might be perfectly fine.

You will get no help with Engine problems from Skoda after the original Warranty expires in 2 days time.

Over £5,000 out of your pocket if you need a new engine out of warranty.

Once you have the warranty in place you can get down to seeing that the cars OK,

good Plugs in etc and not an Oil User.

The car could be perfectly fine but now you have an idea whats what, 

Ask Skoda UK today if any warranty work has already been done on the car.

ECU Update already done etc.

If there are any minor issues, like Corrosion on rear Badge, Wheels with corrosion but not driver damaged,

get along to a Skoda Dealer and have those faults inspected today and they may be done under Manufacturers Warranty if logged now before the 27th.

Have you had the MOT done.?

£39 offer at Skoda Dealers.

? What about the 3 year/30,000 mile service,Oil/Filter service, is that done, & has it had the Brake Fluid changed.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/maintenance

You can probably get the service and brake fluid change cheaper than this.

george

If the level is right at the bottom of the dipstick ( and,as you say,no warning light) the sump isn't empty,you have only used about 1 litre,which in 4000 miles is fine.

Best to do regular checks and add oil in 500 ml quantities.

Too soon to panic,I think.

It is this kind of friendly (and much welcome) advice that has really blown me away about this forum.  Thanks XK

On the basis of 1lt to 4k miles I can live with that.  I had been hoping that I had a goodie as previous owner had held onto it for 30k, I would have expected most people would have binned it sooner if a real moose.

I would take that warranty extension offer.

If you have no knowledge of the cars oil use which might be perfectly fine.

You will get no help with Engine problems from Skoda after the original Warranty expires in 2 days time.

Over £5,000 out of your pocket if you need a new engine out of warranty.

Once you have the warranty in place you can get down to seeing that the cars OK,

good Plugs in etc and not an Oil User.

The car could be perfectly fine but now you have an idea whats what, 

Ask Skoda UK today if any warranty work has already been done on the car.

ECU Update already done etc.

If there are any minor issues, like Corrosion on rear Badge, Wheels with corrosion but not driver damaged,

get along to a Skoda Dealer and have those faults inspected today and they may be done under Manufacturers Warranty if logged now before the 27th.

Have you had the MOT done.?

£39 offer at Skoda Dealers.

george

Thanks George, reading the threads I've seen how much time you have taken to give advice to people on this, quality work.  I think a 12 month extension is a worthwhile investment.

MOT will be done on the £39.00, and will also be getting in touch with Skoda UK on warranty work this afternoon.

Have some minor spider webbing on both badges, but was thinking of switching my chrome grill surround for the monte version with new badge so not urgent.  I might start a new post for this but I do have the black gigaro's and i have noticed that across all four the factory spray job seems pretty weak, I love a good detail and whenever I clean my wheels I notice that the face is nice metallic flecked black nice and dark as should be, however the inside portion of the spokes seem to have received less paint which shows as a light fade from black to dark grey.  So not wanting to divert the thread, I might post this elsewhere.

Other than that the car started to show a bunch of cabin rattles and the rear drivers side shock was loose and knocking, got really good support from my local dealer whose tech was very thorough in ironing out pretty much all the noises, apart from some vent rattle over broken roads.  Still thinking extending my warranty is a must.

There are Dark Chrome threads already, they are the problems wheels mostly.

I have those.

(One Dark Chrome wheel Skoda refused to replace last week,

but pictures were taken of that again by the dealer, because they are having a laugh if they think its not being replaced.)

I also have Black Gigaros. 2 sets.

Nothing wrong the Paint/coating on them and they vary wheel to wheel when you look at the spokes.

I would go for the 2 year extension.

There is a thread going at present.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/267578-extended-skoda-warranty-for-fabia-2-vrs