Columbus firmware upgrade

This is the info from mine. Can someone please let me know which is the latest firmware I can use and also

where I can find the maps to reload them after the upgrade (I believe they will be deleted?).

Maybe can borrow a DVD by someone close to Warwick?

Delivery part number: 3T0035680A

HW-Version              : H11

SW-Version             : 2764

SV SW-Version        : C_EU_9.242_t520

HW Vehicle              : 0xC201

This is the info from mine. Can someone please let me know which is the latest firmware I can use and also

where I can find the maps to reload them after the upgrade (I believe they will be deleted?).

Maybe can borrow a DVD by someone close to Warwick?

Delivery part number: 3T0035680A

HW-Version : H11

SW-Version : 2764

SV SW-Version : C_EU_9.242_t520

HW Vehicle : 0xC201

I've answered this in the other thread you posted the same question in...

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone yet tried this update on Rev H Columbus units? From what I can see, the unit probably needs newer firmware than 3984 (which I got 18 months ago on a new car) as the instructions show a screen shot with a 3D type of menu selection and a different method of accessing the upgrade option. It also refers to MIB Columbus and says about using either SD card slot. This looks like the absolute latest units (which have dual SD slots), so the fundamental question must be can one upgrade using the SD card in older single SD card slot units but with newer firmware?

The extracted download files come to just over 16GB so copying them to a DL DVD is out of the question.

Seeing that Skoda and VW owners can legally download these map updates FOC (updated twice a year I believe), then it would be nice to have a way to upload the latest map data!

Anyone made any more progress?

Thanks.

Edited by stewartv
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is such an interesting story. My as new Superb (Jan 13) does not regognise where it is sometimes in France! "Off Road" when on motorway and in Strasbourg. After searching internet I found Skoda's own site offers a download of updated Maps (October 13) of some 17GB. 32GB Class 10 SD card required to re-assemble the seventeen Zipped map files. Downloaded files ok. Used recommended 7Zip program to extract files. First map unzipped, subsequent maps failed to unzip. Windows said they had been archived? Any help available please from an IT literate Skoda owner. I am a novice so need guidance. Thanks in anticipation.

This Form is theraputic.

As above. The free download from Skoda is only for the new MIB Columbus.

They really should have given the HU a different name to save all this confusion...

• Like 1

Hi Lads my columbus has stopped locating satalites its reading 0 out of 10. The unit rebooted itself last week and now maps not working. Any ideas ??

If I do a factory reset will it work or load older firmware and maps to the unit ??

Hi Lads my columbus has stopped locating satalites its reading 0 out of 10. The unit rebooted itself last week and now maps not working. Any ideas ??

If I do a factory reset will it work or load older firmware and maps to the unit ??

This issue was discussed in another thread so you need to search around. Try just a system reset first before the factory reset.

Sorry to be asking so basic a question!

How do I find out which version of Columbus I have in my 1.5 yr old Superb Elegance? Seeing references to which version works and 'bricking' units is worrying for a non-techie type!!

How do I find a map update for it?

I looked at the Navteq web site - http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&&Page=Skoda-Landing-Page-MIB-Columbus-Instructions&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site& mentioned earlier in this forum,

but the instructions on how to find which version they show do not seem to tally with the way my Columbus works!!

Any help much appreciated, all I want to do is get the latest maps and firmware onto the unit - and hopefully integrate pocketgps safety camera information POI's into the system too  -  any thoughts or advice please?!!

Hi kaydee - You'll find answers to your questions in this forum and the 'In Car Entertainment (ICE) and Security' forum at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/7-in-car-entertainment-ice-and-security/ which covers the Columbus and Amundsen satnavs in more detail.

The short answer is to press and hold the 'Setup' button bottom right. After a few seconds it should display the version info for your Columbus - which will probably be similar to mine which is just coming up to two years old... 

Delivery Part Number: 3T0 035 680 E

Hardware Version: H61

Software Version: 3984

Active Area Coverage: Western Europe

Active Map Supplier: Navteq

Map Version HDD: 7690

The 'Software Version' is in fact the firmware and there are several versions following 3984 - 4024, 4120, etc. (They used to use the 4th character '4' to denote Skoda but seem to have stopped that now)

The 'Map Version' of 7690 refers to v8.0 maps for Western Europe. Last year about this time in upgraded to 7918 v9.0 and 8048 v10.0 are just coming out now so that's the one to go for.

As to how you upgrade, that depends on you and your ability and/or finances. I'm supposed to say go to your dealer but dealers vary and many haven't a clue about software and firmware levels.

Finally, just to confuse everyone still further, there is a completely new Columbus being fitted in recent cars, known as the MIB Columbus and, as you have discovered, the maps on the Navteq (now 'here') website are only for this new one.  

Ah!!

I've now got the info at least!

Delivery Part Number: 3T0035680 E

Hardware Version: H64

Software Version: 4024

Active Area Coverage: Western Europe

Active Map Supplier: Navteq

Map Version HDD: 7690

So the next bit is working out the most cost effective way of updating - the main dealer is probably not the best option- when I asked if the car had the latest maps on it when it had a service it seemed to throw them completely!!

What did you do/recommend?

With the info given, I'd not worry about upgrading the firmware or maps.

There really is little to gain in the firmware (have a look on the 'My Gti' website for RNS-510 firmware updates - it's the same thing as the Columbus).

And given how little the maps actually get updated year on year it's not really worth shelling out (potentially) hundreds of pounds on the latest maps.

I've stopped upgrading mine at v.8 maps & 4020 firmware as I see little to be gained now.

• Like 1

Interesting that one should probably stop at 4120 firmware. If I understand correctly, this restores the Radio Text function?

Also, how on earth does one find a dealer to upgrade. Several near me have a glazed expression and one connected my car to their diagnostic system 2 weeks ago and said I had the latest (3984).

Any idea in Suffolk/Essex where one can get firmware upgraded? If it is a Skoda Dealer not too far away, then I am likely to take my future business to them as local dealer(s) just do not know anything in this arena. Shame as last year they did have one guy but he left and went to a VW dealership somewhere.

Skoda themselves have not been too helpful - a couple of calls and emails then they closed the case!

Try here for a lot of info up as far as 4020 and also download links that are reliable: http://www.my-gti.com/3374/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-and-information

Download the file, burn to disk, put it in your Columbus.

Make a cup of tea!

Wait 55 minutes, return to car & check.

• Like 1

You're doing a sterling job here, Karl!  That must be about the hundredth time you've answered on this topic.  I struggle to find the time.  It's great to know there are people like you out there who make this site such a God-send.

• Like 2

Interesting that one should probably stop at 4120 firmware. If I understand correctly, this restores the Radio Text function?

Also, how on earth does one find a dealer to upgrade. Several near me have a glazed expression and one connected my car to their diagnostic system 2 weeks ago and said I had the latest (3984).

Any idea in Suffolk/Essex where one can get firmware upgraded? If it is a Skoda Dealer not too far away, then I am likely to take my future business to them as local dealer(s) just do not know anything in this arena. Shame as last year they did have one guy but he left and went to a VW dealership somewhere.

Skoda themselves have not been too helpful - a couple of calls and emails then they closed the case!

Try asking them to upgrade the firmware on the new MIB Columbus in the MkIII - they haven't got a clue where to start!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Thanks Ned & Adam.

I think that the dealers generally don't know about firmware updates. Period.

If the computer doesn't flag it then it doesn't exist.

If it does exist (on their computers) it will only be full authorised versions of which there are few to choose from.

Try here for a lot of info up as far as 4020 and also download links that are reliable: http://www.my-gti.com/3374/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-and-information

Download the file, burn to disk, put it in your Columbus.

Make a cup of tea!

Wait 55 minutes, return to car & check.

Thanks for the link - will download 4024. Does 4024 support Radio Text? I heard 412x supports Radio Text but have not yet found a 'genuine' version.

Horror stories on the net about bricked units and also having to get Skoda to 'recode' the head units for Bluetooth and other data? Would a regular Skoda dealer know about re-coding?

However, I take it from Karl's comments that with a Rev H61 hardware and 3984 firmware that it is really just a case of 'having a cup of tea' and all will be well with maps, music etc still intact?

No radio text on 4020. Sorry.

Depending upon what you are upgrading from you may need to replace maps and music.

If you already have three partitions (POI's, Maps & Music) then you might be lucky.

But I would always expect to have to replace maps & music after a firmware upgrade then, if you don't, you'll be happy.

There are 5xxx versions out there as well although these seem to be locked to providers, some if whom will (unofficially) make them available to you.

Is there any benefit? Apart from radio text, probably not.

No radio text on 4020. Sorry.

Depending upon what you are upgrading from you may need to replace maps and music.

If you already have three partitions (POI's, Maps & Music) then you might be lucky.

But I would always expect to have to replace maps & music after a firmware upgrade then, if you don't, you'll be happy.

There are 5xxx versions out there as well although these seem to be locked to providers, some if whom will (unofficially) make them available to you.

Is there any benefit? Apart from radio text, probably not.

Thanks.

Now just a continuing struggle to get the map dvd that should have come with the car. Garage states that they are NOT provided..........