• 2 weeks later...

A small update.

LIGHTS

Did you notice, when car is stationary and your road lights are on, when steering wheel is being even slightly turned the light dim considerably?

OIL CONSUPMTION

I've been monitoring oil consumption in my car (despite swearing I will not :blush: ) and it looks like I might be next in line to join the high oil consumption club :( . Car has now just over 2k miles on the odometer. Currently oil level on the dipstick shows at 2/3 - 1/4 from the bottom of the hatched area. It was 2/3 - 1/2 at 1800 miles. All being checked 10-20 minutes after motor switched off and having oil temps reached circa 90C. I might use that 1ltr bottle of oil from the boot very soon :(

FUEL CONSUMPTION

As I've been writing in other threads fuel consumption is rather high. With temps for the most part of this week between -6C and 0C on the same trip and in the same conditions mpg's are around 30.

Today temps were +6C and it jumped up striaght to 35mpg.

The effects of external temps on the fuel consumption are huge and I never knew another ar so sensitive to this.

On the plus side I might be wallowing in high 40'ties summer time :D.

ESC & HANDLING

Few days ago I had an opportunity to take a challanging corner fast in moist conditions. Car went into fully fledged sideways drift while I was still mashing the accelerator and cotroling the drift. Electronics were not obtrusive, allowed me to have good feedback and assisted in keeping it nice and steady. No snap oversteer or wild power understeer. Entered that easy bend from standstill (red lights, first left off large roundabout into a dual carriageway in inner lane, bend off camber big time making this possible at rather low speeds) slide past apex and controlled slide to the edge of my lane - never left my lane - and then onwards in straight line with no wobbles or any other dramas. From the outside I doubt many people would be able to notice :). Just to mollify "worriers" here it was done in a conrolled, safe manner with no other road users around and well below ruling speed limits. KIDS, DO NOT DO IT AT HOME!

BRAKES

Brakes are "funny" on her... they have very good bite at times but I suspect there issome sort of electronics playing in there as the brake response is not consistent.

SMALL SUMMARY

Love tha car, SWMBO loves it as well (a real plesure to drive it - her words were), just this bl00ming oil issue is a bit oa party pooper :(

• Like 1

OIL CONSUPMTION

I've been monitoring oil consumption in my car (despite swearing I will not ) and it looks like I might be next in line to join the high oil consumption club . Car has now just over 2k miles on the odometer. Currently oil level on the dipstick shows at 2/3 - 1/4 from the bottom of the hatched area. It was 2/3 - 1/2 at 1800 miles. All being checked 10-20 minutes after motor switched off and having oil temps reached circa 90C. I might use that 1ltr bottle of oil from the boot very soon

I won't say I told you so ;)

LIGHTS

Did you notice, when car is stationary and your road lights are on, when steering wheel is being even slightly turned the light dim considerably?

My Monte does this, very noticable as you say (along with a 'woo, woo' sound as you make each turn!) Also if I have lights, wipers etc on, when it reaches full lock it sometimes makes an 'electrical crackle' noise occasionally.

Lights, as mentioned run off the battery, draining power a touch resulting in a dimming when stationery.

Oil - don't listen to seboni - he will just rub it in cos he's got a boring Golf that uses no oil :rofl:

Seriously though, just check it every tank of fuel, or 2 weeks depending on your mileage. It will use a fair bit on running in and with it being twin-charged, both require oil to cool/run. Also, driving style is dependant on oil useage, drive hard it will use some.

Fuel consumption - will drop like a stone in cold weather, doing short runs etc. My friend just got one last week and said its only getting 25mpg on a 5min journey - it hasn't got chance to warm up and he probably leathers it every now and then as its new :)

• Like 1

I do wait till at least 75C before stepping on it :)

I think with the way the Dipstick of Horror is behaving I will be swayed and will top it up when it gets to the bottom of hatched area. I would like to make it as precisly as possible as I am very curious what 1l of oil equates to in terms of the DoH level.

My daily drives consist of circa 20 miles runs lasting approx 30 mins so I get the oil to 89C every day. On my way back home I can push it as the oil is the correcttemp and i have some nice dual carraigeway runs just before I exit home. So yes, I boot it everyday but only when at operating temps

Chuckled to myself reading the posts, as I do put my foot down when it's cold, I got 45 mpg on my way to work this morning, and the last time I opened my bonnet was before going round the 'ring' in Germany in sept :p

b0110ck$ - your car must have 2.0TSi lump under the bonnet and there is no way you'd know as never open it anyway :rofl:

• Like 1

Perhaps a tad anal - enjoy it and don't worry about the oil temps :)

Amen to that, I'm not sure what this hang up is with oil temperature.......I tend to concentrate more on the road ahead and my speed than worrying about what the oil is doing

• Like 2

There is something to it. My 520d (E90) doesn't have any water nor oil temp dials, gauges or any other way of telling :D. In all cars I always waited for the coolant to reach 90c and then it was booting time. Not in vRS though as coolant is up to temps long before oil reaches 80C.

1800 miles and not completely empty I would say you have no issues at all, I am sure the dealer will too.

300 miles half a litre! so if you had my car you would have used 3 litres in 1800 miles enjoy your car and set the maxidot to average mpg or something and leave it there, then just drive it.

I think I will be calling Letchworth Progress Skoda today to report this and ask for oil change following advice from Skoda Assist mech last week.

What I also noticed recently, especially when starting from cold with temps below zero. It runs rich obviously for a minute or so and at that time they idle is jerky, like there's a misfire there. When revs go down (literary 30-60 secs) idle is perfect, smooth as anything.

Power is there as it should be, still big grim factor :).

I also noticed today on SWMBO's Beemer ( now in a garage swapping for winters before X-Mas trip to Europe) that her average mpg plummeted from warm weather minimal 37 mpg (8 mile one way train commute and short town trips) to 31mpg. I never really paid attention to fuel consumption in any car I ever had before compared to complete paranoia I succumbed to now :D. If I checked few time a year (calculated always-don't trust in car mpg figures) that was it :). Now I look more at the MAXIDOT than the road lol.

What I also noticed recently, especially when starting from cold with temps below zero. It runs rich obviously for a minute or so and at that time they idle is jerky, like there's a misfire there. When revs go down (literary 30-60 secs) idle is perfect, smooth as anything.

This happened to mine, turned out the oil breather pipe had popped off. Not sure how this could effect idle at start up, but I haven't had the problem since.

Edited by Jammy Dodger

I must be the only person that doesn't moan about their vrs. I get good mpg and have never bothered checking my oil levels I'm almost on 17,000 and I've only put 4 litres in so far and it's never seen a drop of v-power/ super unleaded in its life and has never let me and swmbo down yet :-)

• Like 1

I must be the only person that doesn't moan about their vrs. I get good mpg and have never bothered checking my oil levels I'm almost on 17,000 and I've only put 4 litres in so far and it's never seen a drop of v-power/ super unleaded in its life and has never let me and swmbo down yet :-)

It's the old "why are there so many ill people in this hospital?" analogy. This forum attracts those with problem cars so they can all have a moan about it together and share experiences etc. The vast majority of people are driving around perfectly happy and it doesn't even cross their mind to go looking for an internet forum! I'm on 15k with no issues or oil consumption probs (yet! Fingers crossed)

• Like 1

I dont put my engine under load until the oil temp is up over 50, I also dont give it a hard time just before switching off either , in both cases its to allow the turbocharger temps to stabilise, its not essential but its good practice

I dont put my engine under load until the oil temp is up over 50, I also dont give it a hard time just before switching off either , in both cases its to allow the turbocharger temps to stabilise, its not essential but its good practice

I read that twinchargers run oil pump for 15 mins following engine shut down to combat turbo heat soak.