Barely driven it tbh been enjoying the Skyline too much, although 23mpg makes me long for the furby a bit :)

Checked oil this morning, few milimeters above the bottom of the hatched area at 2300 miles, no top ups so far.

I succumbed abnd puored 0.5 litre from the bottle supplied with the car. That Castrol is bl00ming green!

I need to check hpw far up it brough the oil level on The Dipstick of Horror (The DoH in short ;) )

Just checked the level on The DoH after adding 0.5 ltr from the supplied bottle. It is at 2/3 up The DoH now. I needed to rescue SWMBO from the clutches of a complete embarrasement of failure public transport in and around London is so oil was 92C when I switched the motor off - oil was added cold before the drive. I will check at 6pm to see if there is difference when checking cold. I did notice a marked difference in the smell of oil after I added fresh one.

• 3 weeks later...

Also wondering where Jabo was as I was going to compare oil with this new CTHE engine.. although starting to think its not as bad as I first thought after reading 0.5 litre top up after 2300 miles

Just to add - I've had to top my oil up tonight after having a look at the DoH when engine was cold the other day (After reading the cold engine oil level - sk4gw)

Car has now done 1350 miles and upto 1200 it had hardly moved a mark on the hatched area.. the last 150 ish miles and it went down to a third of the hatched area (as i noticed when cold it was just under the top of the hatched area) - so went out for an enthusiastic drive tonight and topped her up.. put 350ml of the castrol edge 5w-30 and back up to the top of the hatched area.

Can't complain really so far.. just hope it doesn't get any worse.. but it's not taking any of the pleasure away from driving it! Still really happy with the car in general! :rofl:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello guys, I am back!

Sorry to have left so abruptly but it is like that with me sometimes - I was rather busy work wise, on personal front and entertaining my other vices ;)

I think, despite being still busy at work (which is very good !) I should go back to showering you all with useless drivel here on briskie.

I will have to write on those vRSy's pistons as I have some really good info based on the photos he posted-I need to read his thread form where I left off as well...

As this a review thread lets go back to reviewing :)

Car has done 4.600miles since bought new in Nov 2012. Since then I put in 1lthr of oil and level is now at 1/2way up hatched area.

I did notice uneven cold idle from time to time. Not massive and only perceptible by the way of my sensitive baby bum (!) but still there, I can feel it. Funny enough it goes away when I switch the engine off and then back on immediately - runs smoothly as my jab,jab,overhead power punch :D.

Another thing that went wrong was rear window wiper motor - burnt out and part is on back order - 10 weeks and counting :(

I also got my car switched to fixed service regime. Really bad side effect of that, according to Skoda tech from Letchworth, is that I no longer have oil temp display. Apporently car on fixed service have that function disabled!!! I couldn't believe it when he told me so I will be needing somebody with vag-com or the like to sort it out as this is simply not on!

Otherwise very happy with the motor, having more and more fun with paddles, managed to get mpg on my usual run to 40mpg (but only once) and all family loves that car.

I am going to test drive new Octavia this weekend if time allows as well.

I will be reading posts tomorrow to catch up on things - see you around!

Jabo

• Like 2

Welcome back.

Miine is on fixed servicing and has oil temp, although not sure what the car settings are, just came out of dealers like that. There is a fair bit on this in the section somewhere.

I second that! I went to the dealer shortly after I had bought the car asking him to activate the Oil Temp display. I was afraid of them switching to variable servicing but thought what the hell, you can't do otherwise because that's what I had read from some early owners here. To my surprise, when I picked it up they told me it's still on fixed servicing but there's another switch/function/whatever that is controlling the oil temp display and which can be enabled independently. And so it was, Fixed servicing and Oil Temp at the same time. You have to speak to those technicians again!

I will have to stomp me feet then! I think the chap I was talking to made an impression on me of being a young 'un priding himslef in knowing his stuff as he was rather adamantly telling me things before which were rather porkers and in the face of everything Skoda put in their tech materials.

@newbie69 - I am not sure if we are on the same page her. I can put the oil display temp on my Maxidot, no problem, it is done from the settings while stationary. However, it displays three dashes at all times. Looks like oil temp sensor has packed or something?

I will have to stomp me feet then! I think the chap I was talking to made an impression on me of being a young 'un priding himslef in knowing his stuff as he was rather adamantly telling me things before which were rather porkers and in the face of everything Skoda put in their tech materials.

@newbie69 - I am not sure if we are on the same page her. I can put the oil display temp on my Maxidot, no problem, it is done from the settings while stationary. However, it displays three dashes at all times. Looks like oil temp sensor has packed or something?

No, the three dashes is the norm, it just needs to be engaged via VCDS. Mine has always been on fixed servicing and always displayed oil temp. However, many have posted the fact that dealers say you do not get temp display on fixed servicing, which as I know, is rubbish. Once again it is those great technicians who believe they know everything, but in fact know nothing :rofl:

• Like 1

Should be simples when on 'fixed servicing'. (no idea about something sent out on Variable servicing then messed by some hashy Tech.)

Go into the Maxi-dot menu.

Change the service period if you wish, tick or un-tick oil temperature.

Drive the car and when the Oil reaches 50*degree C, it should show. Well thats what i do.

Have fun Dude.

george