Have I made the right choice?!

Having selected a VRS Estate and expecting delivery before Christmas, I'm now worried that I've made the wrong choice of car after reading the plethora of complaints, moans and gripes about various issues with the Octavia.

I appreciate that any manufacturer experiences problems but does Skoda have more than most??!!

People come on forums for advice, so as you'd expect a Skoda forum has plenty of people on it asking for fixes.

This isn't an accurate reflection on a cars reliability.

See the recent J D Power survey results here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/257004-dmf-dpf-dsg-issues/

I don't know like you I have not got my Skoda yet but I have been on other car forums and going by the problems on any of them I would not buy any car.

People post to ask for help with problems a lot they do not post to say had another happy trouble free week with my bland unmodified xyz.

• Like 1

Gut reaction - I shouldn't think so. Forums typically highlight the problems so are probably not entirely representative of the marque overall. I'm sure most Skoda owners with issues have had issues on other makes - I know I have!

Sarge.

Having selected a VRS Estate and expecting delivery before Christmas, I'm now worried that I've made the wrong choice of car after reading the plethora of complaints, moans and gripes about various issues with the Octavia.

I appreciate that any manufacturer experiences problems but does Skoda have more than most??!!

I'm on my 4th vRS . The only problem I've had in that time is a water leak in the boot of a 56 plate saloon. It was sorted under warranty with no hassles. Every dealing I've ever had with Skoda has been first class. I would have moved on by now if it wasn't. You will always get the negative comments on a site which people come to primarily for help and assistance. Stop worrying, this time next month you will be driving about with a stupid big grin on your face. And if anything does go wrong (which it won't) there are a number of knowledgeable owners on here willing to assist.

• Like 1

I'm on my 2nd Octy and have been happy with the first and giddy with the 2nd so don't worry.... I'm guessing you got the VAT back on what ever vRS you've ordered so what other car is as well spec'ed for the money....hmmmmm... None .... Enjoy ....QED :rock:

On my 3rd skoda great cars!

Should have trusted my gut and stuck with Skoda, my fiat has not been so reliable, coil pack replaced, aircon unit replace and stop start issues.

You will read more issues as this is a forum and one of the most honest, shame fiat forum isn't lol

Peugeot (All French) get ripped to shreads for being poo, my last car was a 206 SW 1.6 hdi, had it for 5 years from new, was unkind to it from day one, generally thrashed, carried all sort of junk and garden waste etc, only had one service @ 30k and sold it @ 65k, not one single problem.

The Octavia (pleb spec not VRs) has had much love, got it's service when due and even gets washed now and then.

So far no problems either, (touches Wood)

As said people shout when they have issues but you seldom hear when they are happy.

EDIT

Forgot to mention, the octy is our 3rd Skoda, can't be all bad.

Edited by John T

On my 3rd Octy estate - 1st a diesel and then 2 petrols. Couple of niggles with newest but nothing major. Like others I think you find the bad stuff on here due to people looking for fixes and the nature of having a gripe - I include myself in this ;)

Edited by buddiedave

Don't worry about it. All makes of car have issues and having a mooch round this site before I bought my car didn't put me off. The way I look at it is compared to the amount of people registered the amount of problems is relatively small. Even Buggati Veyrons will have issues. (apart from the running costs obvisously lol)

On my first skoda, impressed with build quality, imo no better worse than other vag cars, Ford's etc. I have read lots of problems with mercs that rattle, bmws that can be broken into, Ford's that burn out clutches.... Not worth worrying about you read the worst, rarely the positive side.

Besides skoda has built up a reputation from nothing, goes to show their efforts.

Just bought my TSI estate after 7 excellent years of Fabia vRS. Reading up about that in 2005 you'd have seen the same on the forums then, but it turned out to be the most reliable fun car I've ever had & after 60k + was reluctant to part with it, but Octavia vRS is such cracking value right now was too good an opportunity to pass over with the new (bigger & more expensive) version due in the new year.

As Spitfire Stef said above don't worry just go for it, great community on here, I never had trouble dealing with anything on the Fabia as there's always someone who knows why, how, what and when to do it whatever it is!.

No matter which car forum you read, you're going to find people with problems. Because like someone else said before in this thread, people don't post when their car works fine.

I've had two trouble free weeks, altough that's not saying much. :D still on the first tank of fuel.

Edited by Perc

My last few cars:

Honda HRV - 2 to 4.5 years 18k to 56k miles- alloys replaced under warranty due to oxidation, no other faults beyond routine front break pads (36k) exhaust back box etc.

Renault Scenic - new to 2 years 40k miles -replaced under warranty alarm bonnet switch and door handle sensor, breaks made of cheese - front pads at 18k pads and discs all round at 36k 4 tyres at 25k

Hyundai Santa Fe - 10 months to 4.5 years 11k to99k miles - ABS sensor replaced under warranty, 4 tyres at 70k, front pads at 60k rear at 80k

Octavia Scout - 2 to 4.5 years (currently) 30 to 85k miles - 4 tyres at 35k and 70k front pads and discs at 80k, £1.2 worth of work required just out of warranty if you believe dealer but independent check says they are talking b0110cks.

So on this history either I've either been very lucky or most cars don't actually have as many faults as people think.

My wife has a Mercedes A150 - 5 to 7 years 30k to 56k miles - starter motor, CV boot and 4 tyres

My dad - 3 x Mitsubishi Space Stars from new to 1 year each with no problems, Seat Altea ex demo - flywheel changed under warranty plus rear pads/discs for first MOT, Vauxhall Corsa ex demo with no problems, now on second Nissan Note with no problems amd he commutes around 35 miles each way daily.

Only thing is none of the above gets advertised, one person has a problematic car and its all over the forum.

As it's been said, a forum will highlight individuals and their own issues with cars - I'm having some major problems with mine which has been off the road more than it's been on it (and it's only 4 weeks old) - those who have no issues will not generally post anything about their uneventful & trouble free ownership.

That said, we run a large fleet of Octavia's at work and generally they are a sound and reliable car and are capable of taking an extreme amount of punishment - one of the reasons for choosing one myself. I've just been unlucky I think.

THANKS ALL!

You're quite correct those that say drivers don't usually post the good bits, just the bad when looking for advice. I too include myself in this.

I'm looking forward very much to getting the car and will make sure I let you know the happy stuff!

Cheers again - I feel a lot easier.

Don't worry about it. All makes of car have issues and having a mooch round this site before I bought my car didn't put me off. The way I look at it is compared to the amount of people registered the amount of problems is relatively small. Even Buggati Veyrons will have issues. (apart from the running costs obvisously lol)

Stu, you are soooo right there. I have a Veyron as my second car. I can't stand it. The heated rear screen switch has made a weird ticking noise since day one, the windscreen wiper on the passenger side occasionally squeaks during use, the rear offside mudguard sometimes gets dirt on it. The list is endless, I'm so fed up with the service from Bugatti I just use my vRS all the time. :think:

• Like 2

I had three Octy vRS's and had 6 years of trouble free motoring. I had the odd niggle but everything easily sorted. Wasn't overly impressed with stories of cam chain failure on tsi though which made my decision to change easier.

When I ordered mine 30 months ago, I went through the same agony, worrying about dpf, seats, tyre wear etc etc.

All I can say is I have not experienced any problems with my VRS other than a squeaky dashboard (sorted by the dealer under warranty).

Keep faith. It is a great car. Enjoy.