Octavia vRS

When you first start driving with cruise control you'll notice how bad other people are at keeping a steady pace, yoyo'ing from 60-80 mph all the time without even noticing. 

Oh don't even get me started on drivers like that. It's extremely annoying especially in Romania where we've been "blessed" with short motorways and with only 2 lanes. You should see how much "fun" that is...

• Like 1

Well wife has said yes irrespective of what the figures are like so I'm one very happy bunny. Do we reckon there's gonna be a tweak in spec before the end of September? Feel I should hold on till right at the end of the 0% deal incase they throw some extra kit in

A WhatCar? motoring journo has driven the petrol hatch and on Twitter said it's the worst Octy he's ever driven. Thoughts? 

having driven both mkii and mkiii i'd disagree but im not a motoring journalist who drives cars all day long. did he expand on it and say why?

A WhatCar? motoring journo has driven the petrol hatch and on Twitter said it's the worst Octy he's ever driven. Thoughts? 

Do you ever pay any attention to what What Car say about any Škoda?  No.  They hate Škodas with a passion.

• Like 1

Do you ever pay any attention to what What Car say about any Škoda?  No.  They hate Škodas with a passion.

That was my first thought too. If it isn't a VW they aren't interested. It's been the only really negative opinion so far. There's a few journos waiting to drive it and can't quite believe him. I'll wait to see what they say once they have a go.

Have to agree they never seem to like the Skoda brand that much.

But like I've said I can't see how the mk3 is worth that much extra over the mk2FL

I think that's a little unfair.  The standard Octavia recently won a group test with five stars and was roundly praised.  This month an Octy estate wins a test against a Toyota again with five stars and the Yeti comes second out of four in an SUV test and is still recommended.

as theres not much info on the octy tdi yet ive been looking at reviews of the ea288 golf gtd engine and spotted this. Should be quite handy for winter assuming its in the octy

Tech Tidbit: The new TDI's cooling system is separated into two circuits. On cold starts, the main mechanical water pump is attenuated to allow the crankcase to heat up quickly, while a separate electric pump sends coolant through the cylinder head, heater core (which gets the cabin up to temp quicker than traditionally slow-to-warm diesels), and anti-NOx exhaust-gas-recirculation system. 

Read more: 2014 Volkswagen Golf GTD Test Drive - Popular Mechanics 
Follow us: @PopMech on Twitter | popularmechanics on Facebook 
Visit us at PopularMechanics.com

Have to agree they never seem to like the Skoda brand that much.

But like I've said I can't see how the mk3 is worth that much extra over the mk2FL

That is not the point.  The marketing men decide these things.  There are rumours that the next Superb will be a VW Touareg based (and sized) SUV...  Now what will current Superb hatch and Estate owners buy come their next car?  Also the Rapid was invented below the Octavia.  Why is that?  Put all of that in the same basket and what you have in the Octy 3 is the new Superb at Superb prices with the old Octy 2FL price points being catered for by the upper Rapid and lower Octy 3.  So the "worth" of the Octy 3 over what has gone before has no relevance anymore.  It will be priced to sit in the range where the marketing men decide to put it - and that all hinges on what sort of car the next Superb will be...  

I know whatcar dont usually like skoda too much but in their april/march ish time they compared the new octy and the golf - OCTY won! Both the Octy 2.0 TDi 150 SE and the Golf 2.0 TDi 150 SE got 5 stars but overall the Octy beat the golf.

What car gave the octy (TDi version)

4 stars on performance, ride and handling, behind the wheel, infoentertaiment, equipment, safety and security, refinement.

5 stars were given on quality and reliability, space and practicality, buying and owning

I was debating the green when I ordered mine, and although it looks ok, Im very happy I went with the blue - might be common but I love it lol 

Ive seen quite a few of the new octys in hatch version dont think ive seen any in estate yet and def havent seen any vrs about yet.

Went to see one at the weekend... at last - as I'm getting very itchy to part with some cash!

Sad to say I wasn't blown away at all; you have all seen the exteriors etc - I like the front - it's more aggressive/masculine than the facelift grill and lights look good.

Rear end... nice... but the exhausts are shocking - very halfords special - the amount of daylight between the exhaust and the shiny bit is awful.

Inside the seats are very nice I thought I like the all in one and comfy too - best since the LE

Gear change seems lower and pedals felt further apart - may be an issue for the Heal&Towers

Everything else ... ok.

Except for the door trim... FFS. Hard plastic ? Come on. Really ? I had nicer door cards in my 1984 Maestro. (What's weird I have previously been in a 2013 SE with soft trim and a 2013 elegance with hard trim - wondering if something is afoot there...)

Dealer offered ~8.2 for my LE but bugger all of the list price so I'm a little up in the air. I may well just put in a punt on a fully specced 4x4 and sit it out.

Dealer offered ~8.2 for my LE but bugger all of the list price so I'm a little up in the air. I may well just put in a punt on a fully specced 4x4 and sit it out.

Unfortunately the 4x4 is only in SE trim, so speccing it up is not only expensive, you also can't have some of the better options like electric seats.

Outside the UK, fine.

But we are the mercy of Skoda UK and what they want to import.