Octavia vRS

I'm not entirely convinced that this is the case.

There is definitely an element of Skoda owners A ) seeing everything with rose tinted glasses, and B ) being so determined to prove that their cars are superior that they play down any problems.

By contrast, a lot of VW customers are expecting perfection and are more critical of even minor issues.

My Mk1 was very reliable, with just a failed clutch master cylinder in 82k.

Mk Mk2 wasn't. It took more than a dozen visits to multiple dealers to get creaking noises from the suspension diagnosed and replaced, and some of the service was dire. The turbo also failed just under warranty, after less than two years.

fully agree, to me if you go on a vw forum you will get people defending VW on a skoda form, hey let me guess they defend Skoda.

you will get good and bad dealers on each brand with good and bad cars on both sides too. Having owned 4 Skodas and been on here a long time, Skoda owners definately feel they have something to prove and back over other car makers.

ours have been great but not without their problems, clutches, central locking, rust, rattles, headunit falures, steering, suspension to name just a few!

doesnt make them bad cars nor does it make them world beaters.

can we not discuss the car and price without brand warfare which may i point out gets you......knowhere!

One might argue that Skodas are more reliable because they use technology already battle tested in a previous-gen VW.

In some cases Skoda are only a few weeks/months behind (Skoda Fabia VRS), but in most cases they're using tech that VW have already been using for a while.

While we're on the subject of reliable Skodas, my Fabia VRS has been the least reliable car I've ever owned (I've had 13 VAG cars to date), and not a patch on our old Octy Mk1 (which was an older Golf Mk4 underneath).

• Like 1

Have just re-registered as previous details were lost when the board changed over. Have had both a Mk1 vRS (private) and the a mk2 vRS deisel (comapny car). Am due to change late this year and from reading about the new vRS if pricing is what we think then I think Skoda will lose sales. The Golf is expensive, as is the Audi, and all 3 look like they have been trumped by the new Seat Leon. I have gone with that car with the 184 BHP diesel and a host of extras. The base vRS must be max £23.5k to garner the sales required. £24k plus and a lowish spec could be a problem for them.

Hope I am wrong as I am a big fan of the vRS.

Edited by Dope007

the new octy is going to have the same level of standard equipment as the golf ! its cheaper because the cost of manufacturing is cheaper in CZ than germany hence why vw build alot of there engines in poland ! so to pay for a "GERMAN" car ...people pay more just for the fact its a" pure German" car !! even tho skoda in cz build there cars to the same quality and standards as the veedubs... so there is where the magic happens with skodas !

the new octy is going to have the same level of standard equipment as the golf ! its cheaper because the cost of manufacturing is cheaper in CZ than germany hence why vw build alot of there engines in poland ! so to pay for a "GERMAN" car ...people pay more just for the fact its a" pure German" car !! even tho skoda in cz build there cars to the same quality and standards as the veedubs... so there is where the magic happens with skodas !

And how does CZ wages compare to Spanish wages?

heard today new octy vrs going to be launched at goodwood 11th july

anyone else going ?

heard today new octy vrs going to be launched at goodwood 11th july

anyone else going ?

Yes but Friday 12th

I know of several non-technically-minded drivers who used to buy VW cars because they had been led to believe that VWs were better-built and more reliable.

Each of these people got fed up with major mechanical faults (often clutch and gearbox) with their VWs and even more fed up with arrogant, unhelpful and expensive VW dealerships.

They were advised by more technically clued-up friends to abandon their out-of-date and unjustified brand brand perceptions and buy a Skodas instead.

As the VW and Skoda engines, gearbox, clutch are identical and come off the same production line, the reliability of these components will be identical whichever car they are installed in.

Agree totally about the arrogant dealer reputation, one of the major reasons I went for an Octavia rather than a Golf.

[

I will never understand those that defend their own car make by slagging other makes off.

OK, if you've had a particularly bad experience with a certain car make, tell the story, etc. but don't suggest ALL their cars (or dealers for that matter) are the same!.....

.....Maybe I have been fortunate with my cars, and possibly with my dealer experience, but seriously everyone, please lay off slagging other marques and dealers as it just makes you look as if you're trying too hard to justify your Skoda ownership.....

We all know why we bought and own our Skoda; if other people want other cars, let them, it's a free world.

To be honest, if they ditched the runflat tyres and gave you a spare wheel, I would buy another BMW in a heartbeat.

My vRS drives brilliantly and I love it............but it still doesn't drive and handle as well as my BMW 325i or 330d did (both sport saloon models).

H

I agree with every word you say.

Maybe this other marque-bashing is the result of an inferiority complex or inverted snobbery?

I respect those who love their Skodas and are marque enthusiasts, but they need to respect others who also understand that there are also other fine cars out there.

Edited by Timoctav
  • Like 3

few interesting 3D model pics

http://www.turbosqui...i-3d-max/748495

Škoda quality control will have a fit if the real car's rear bumper had awful shutlines like that - where it turns down to meet the rear wheel arch! Yikes. Can't the person that modeled that make consistent panel gaps?!

Skoda_Octavia_RS_combi_2014_0006.jpg44b56978-93e9-4fc0-b8fe-c49d4c074fc9Large.jpg

• Like 1

I will never understand those that defend their own car make by slagging other makes off.

OK, if you've had a particularly bad experience with a certain car make, tell the story, etc. but don't suggest ALL their cars (or dealers for that matter) are the same!

I've owned a Fiat, which stands for "Fix it again tomorrow", yet it ran for 3 years with no issues whatsoever;

I've owned a Citroen Saxo VTR which ran with no issues whatsoever and the dealer was very good;

I've owned three BMW's - the first (320d) had a turbo blow (from new) at 1,400 miles which was fixed under warranty, and then ran for a further 66,000 miles only requiring servicing; the second (325i) was awesome and I only got rid as I was doing low 20's mpg (straight six sounded too good); the third (330d) was even better and ran for 70,000 miles only requiring servicing and a replacement Xenon (warranty) - all the BMW dealers I dealt with for servicing and warranty work were excellent, I only had an issue with the dealer that I bought the 330d from as their PDI was appalling (IMO).

I will have owned my Skoda vRS for 3 years in July and I love it, it just flew through the first MOT with no issues, and the dealer I bought it from is excellent (£95 for MOT and brake fluid change, all badges replaced under warranty due to "white worm") - they have also quoted me £549 for 2 years extended warranty with breakdown, which I think is very good value.

Maybe I have been fortunate with my cars, and possibly with my dealer experience, but seriously everyone, please lay off slagging other marques and dealers as it just makes you look as if you're trying too hard to justify your Skoda ownership.

We all know why we bought and own our Skoda; if other people want other cars, let them, it's a free world.

To be honest, if they ditched the runflat tyres and gave you a spare wheel, I would buy another BMW in a heartbeat.

My vRS drives brilliantly and I love it............but it still doesn't drive and handle as well as my BMW 325i or 330d did (both sport saloon models).

H

100% agree too. There are bad Skoda dealers and much of the problems stem from the franchise not the brand.

For instance Motorworld VW in Oxfords service dept were friggin useless for the most part, sold their Oxford branches to Ridgeway group and not a problem since. As it happens they own my local Skoda dealership too which are generally absolutely spot on.

Also there are much better cars out there and I still think VW and Audi are better than Skodas generally; I just wanted a new VAG car with everything a Golf GTD had to offer inc. DSG, Lots more standard kit and space at much less money and the Octavia vRS Blackline estate met my needs precisely....I dont aspire to own a Skoda and may well not buy another one when the time comes, not because they're bad cars just might fancy something different.

In fact if my missus would let me go and drop 30k on a car tomorrow i'd completely disregard the practicality element and go and get myself an ex demo M135i with sports auto.....proper hot hatch indeed!

Edited by pipsyp

In fact if my missus would let me fo and drop 30k on a car tomorrow i'd completely disregard the practicality element and go and get myself an ex demo M135i with sports auto.....proper hot hatch indeed!

I agree with the M135i a proper fast compact rear wheel drive real drivers BMW, with a straight six engine as only BMW can make. It's not an overweight tank like the current M3 either. 0-60mph in 4.6 seconds (Autocar road test) is unbelievably quick and no front wheel drive car could get near that. A proper drivers car has to be RWD or maybe 4WD, not FWD. sorry Octavia vRS fans....

When I pension off my current sports car the M135i is on a very short list.

Edited by Timoctav

I agree with the M135i a proper fast compact rear wheel drive real drivers BMW, not an overweight tank like the current M3. 0-60mph in 4.6 seconds (Autocar road test) is unbelievably quick and no front wheel drive car could get near that. A proper drivers car has to be RWD or maybe 4WD, not FWD. sorry Octavia vRS fans....

When I pension off my current sports car the M135i is on a very short list.

V jealous of anyone tooling around in one right now Timoctav; fantasic car and even more fantastic value for money. Know you have a 997 so clearly a man of good taste!

Everyone seemingly gives it a bit of a hard time on the M forums; go on about it not being a proper M car but I dont think many people will miss a LSD on the road, it has proper brakes (unlike the single pot floating caliper rubbish they insist on sticking on M3's that'd be bomfired after a few hard laps of a track) and M division had a big hand in making it drive as well as it does.

With a decent map (making 370ish Hp and 400+ lb/ft torque) reckon it would eat an E92 M3 on the right road and would be a close call on the right track.

• Like 1

Everyone seemingly gives it a bit of a hard time on the M forums; go on about it not being a proper M car.....

Thank you for your nice words pipsyp - same on some Porsche forums, where the Boxster / Cayman is frequently sneered at as not a "proper" Porsche or a poor man's 911. The latest 981 Boxster is without doubt the best drivers car in the Porsche range this side of a GT3, and better even IMHO than the latest 991 which has a somewhat synthesised sound and feel to it whereas the 997 is much more mechanical in the traditional 911 way.

The latest 991 generation GT3 will be the real deal however!

Edited by Timoctav

[

I agree with every word you say.

Maybe this other marque-bashing is the result of an inferiority complex or inverted snobbery?

I respect those who love their Skodas and are marque enthusiasts, but they need to respect others who also understand that there are also other fine cars out there.

i agree, swmbo and I have had 6 skodas over 14 years (7th on order, new citigo), all have been fantastic cars, my Octavia covered 236k miles in 7 years, my roomster covered 168k miles in 5 years before cat D'ed due to using rear of a Renault to stop,( oopps ) all cars have had minor faults as would be expected

I have experienced 5 different dealers, 3 have been fantastic, 2 we bought the cars and never went back to due to attitude of sales person but you will get this which ever brand / marque you choose

as to experience of other brands had an old citroen BX diesel, great car, simple to work on (even the hydraulic suspension) dealer was great, VW wanted to partx Octavia and was told they did not want to partx my "skoda" as they could nor give me a good price as they would send it to auction regardless of condition as they would not allow it on their forecourt, Vauxhall salesperson did no know anything about vehicle he was selling walked away

but if you talk to enough people you will find similar stories about all makes and dealers even skoda cars and dealers

main thing I note is how often a dealership changes manufacturer, one or two near me have changed several times in the last ten years and I avoid them, others have been the same manufacturer for over 30 years

like everything in life you do the research , make your choice, pay your money and hope

Edited by bluecar1
  • Like 1

back on topic,

I got confirmation today from my dealer of them taking myself, daughter and her husband to new Octavia VRs launch at Goodwood 11th july

now just got to load up with spare memory cards for camera, spare batteries and a big grin :)

been told no dad dancing before we go, in case it gets mistaken for a rain dance :(

Edited by bluecar1
  • Like 3

back on topic,

I got confirmation today from my dealer of them taking myself, daughter and her husband to new Octavia VRs launch at Goodwood 11th july

now just got to load up with spare memory cards for camera, spare batteries and a big grin :)

been told no dad dancing before we go, in case it gets mistaken for a rain dance :(

Keep us posted!

• Like 1

dealer is taking about 30 customers so should be a good day, any other members going?

shame I don't have a briskoda sticker, wonder if I could have got one on the new vrs at goodwood without skoda noticing :devil: :devil: