No Power Steering (PAS)

JvdP

When you change the pump it needs to be programmed , I read this here -> http://www.briskoda....s/#entry3059551

My problem is the same with PAS and lights flickering (on every 3-4 seconds maybe), when PAS light is on, lights and dashboard stop flickering. Changed alternator relay, but old one was ok, don't know if new one caused problems, but since i've changed it, started problems with revolutions - up and downs, battery is new, but i don't drive very often, any ideas? My sensor is plastic one, no water in it, checked fuses on top of battery, earth ...

multimeter shows from 13,2 to 14,6 (can't remember exactly, but big difference every 3-5 seconds)

sensor error was smth like G250 open or close to plus?!

help pls

(fabia 1.9 sdi 2003)

Are you sure the link is right? It leads back to my own post.

How do I program the pump? I have a VAG cable

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

just an update on my power steering issue ,i finally got hold of a new steering angle sensor with cable and all is working great now,no flickering lights or steering warning lights :)

• 1 month later...

And the story continues. We have installed a new (metal) of sensor and I still have the "Implausible Signal" error in VAG. SO ANNOYING! We've replaced the pump (refurbished from eBay) and sensor but the problem persists.

We have also checked the alternator lead and although it's tight it's not broken. The negative battery lead is fine too.

Sometimes, within a week or so, the battery is suddenly drained. So we thought perhaps we have a current drain. Sometimes we measure 200mAh drain (high!) but other times we measure 20mAh drain (normal).

According to an official Skoda workshop, this model pump does not need to be programmed with the car. Can anybody confirm this?

At this point I'm lost. Does anybody have any tips?

• 1 month later...

Well, actually I'm having some interesting developments the past few days. I had almost given up and sold it, then I suddenly saw somebody selling a "Factory New Pump" on the local Norwegian eBay. I thought I'd give it a try and it looks like it's working! The car is at the garage today getting MOT, fingers crossed.

Looks like your pump is dead completely. Try getting it off the car and open it to see the electronics.

really enjoying following your post great pics and its nice to see somebody that goes the extra mile to try and squeeze some life out of something that is supposed to be not serviceable ...keep us updated how you go with it ...i have a post running at the moment ...it is frustrating...but its too easy to give in and spend a load of money on parts that are not faulty before you find the part that is causing the problem...i will keep my post updated for the members who are interested in this sort of fault finding...we may not always do things exactly right ...but there is something to be learned in the things we have done ....we hope... thanks.... 

• Like 1

Thanks for that, racin'skoda! I totally agree, sometimes you just have to keep on. If nobody benefits from my thread right now then it might be somebody later! It's always important to follow up a story and finish it. The times I've had to read a forum post with the exact same problem, only to find the thread suddenly dying out half way... It's the worst!

Unfortunately I wasn't very lucky with buying parts because it turned out that the refurbished pump I got from eBay was ALSO faulty.

The lesson learnt is that sometimes you can't cut corners and buy used/refurbished parts from shabby places for cheap prices. Because of this I replaced the sensor and this was probably not necessary. In total this set me back an extra £400/500.

The car went through the MOT today and the pump works! Finally! Looking forward to drive it. In addition to the pump the garage noticed a wheel bearing had gone as well as a rear suspension spring that had snapped. So I told him he could just replace both, I can't be bothered doing more work on it myself.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread but my PAS-light turned on a few days ago.

The steering wheel was very tough when trying to park or standing still but after I swapped batteries today it's as easy as ever. I took it to the shop anyway as the light didn't turn off and they plugged it into the computer.

The computer showed two faults: One was the power from the battery was too low but this had been fixed after the switch. The second one was a communication error. The lad at the shop said this was probably due to some cable corroding/breakage which in turn meant that the PAS didn't get enough power/information (Pardon my explanation, I am not too good when it comes to cars.)

Looking at this thread I'm a bit scared that it might be something bigger. Seeing as the powersteering is very light now with the new battery, the pump should be intact, right? It's not intermittent at all and there are no lights flickering as I've seen a few people explain before. The only thing that tells me there's something wrong is the light as there are no symptoms right now.

I'm leaving the car at the shop early next week but would be interesting to hear any input, if only to make me sleep better.

Cheers!

/ Skewb

If it's light the pump is working so it sounds like you've fixed it with a battery swap, be happy it was a cheap fix :)

If it's light the pump is working so it sounds like you've fixed it with a battery swap, be happy it was a cheap fix :)

Thanks, that does sound reassuring. However, he only "turned off" one of the faulty codes which was the battery. There is still one left with the communication which he didn't want to turn off before he gets a deeper look. But seeing as it's very light and seems to working well, perhaps it will be an easy fix either way. Hoping for the best and that it's not the sensor or anything like it that looks like it can cost a bit.

I recommend to let your garage cancel the error, it is probably related to your battery since the PAS might have communicated wrongly when it didn't receive enough power. If it comes back it is more worrysome. I think it's safe to take the error away so your dashboard light goes off.

I recommend to let your garage cancel the error, it is probably related to your battery since the PAS might have communicated wrongly when it didn't receive enough power. If it comes back it is more worrysome. I think it's safe to take the error away so your dashboard light goes off.

Sounds like a plan. Calling the garage tomorrow :)

• 9 months later...

Hi!!

Problems with PAS here aswell!I

I get reedings on the steering angle sensor when i turn the wheel, and the "pump motor speed(specified)" are changing values.

Pump motor voltage is 0,0A, and actual pump motor speed is 0 /min... But it says pump motor status "ON".

Anyone who have a clue what this can be? Dead pump... or something else could be wrong?

How can it be that it says: pump motor status "ON"... when it`s not working?

Voltage on terminal 30 is: 14,01

Address 44: Steering Assist        Labels: 6Q0-423-156.clb
   Part No: 6Q0 423 156 E
   Component: Lenkhilfe           0001  
   Coding: 00110
   Shop #: WSC 00000  
   VCID: 316F6586FB5E3096243-50E6

1 Fault Found:
00566 - Steering Assistance Operation
            27-00 - Implausible Signal

Edit: should be a pic from VCDS here, but it disappeared  :(

Edited by franka20

@wino I have checked the strip-fuse, and it looks fine... so i think its the pump.

The PAS light in the dashboard is not on anymore... but its still no powersteering, so thats strange!

I`m trying to buy a new pump, but i get confused by the OEM parts nr. On mine its 6Q0 423 156 E

And i do find lots of pumps with 6Q0 423 156, but all of them have another letter than "E" on the end of the number... so anyone know which OEM numbers that fit on my fabia 6Y?

6Q0 423 156 S, 6Q0 423 156 AB (found many with AB in it) does these fit?

@steveopc what OEM number do you have on yours? price? :)

Edited by franka20

ones of a fabia vrs reg cf54 vfm and the other off a 1.4 16v elegance reg x953 dod if you wanna check number of the elegance I can't see but been told its a trw pump with part number 6Q0423156Q as for vrs one that's a trw one aswell but unsure odf part number as its in work

I`m trying to buy a new pump, but i get confused by the OEM parts nr. On mine its 6Q0 423 156 E

And i do find lots of pumps with 6Q0 423 156, but all of them have another letter than "E" on the end of the number... so anyone know which OEM numbers that fit on my fabia 6Y?

Does the pump say TRW on it anywhere?