PDC OPS advice

I'm afraid all the trouble was in fact from the swapping of the Controller from Comfort to the Drive CANBUS as there is no ready Drive CANBUS Cable available to the rear end of the Car. Just get a scan done to determine if the rewiring is really needed or not. It is the Parktronic (PDC) Controller that determines the rewiring and not the CAN Gateway as the Gateway has provision for 2 Addresses, viz 10 and 76 where PDC can be connected. The newer ones xxx475 connect to Address 10 while the old ones xxx283 connect to 76.

Thanks mate, going to do as you say but not too hopeful the scan will reveal its already on 10. I know the wire has to be run front to back but I was a little more worried about some of the other changes you mention around the error on the rear sensors.

Thanks again

Adam

Have you had your car scanned yet to see what number the controller is at?

If get that done just to be sure as it may not need rewiring.

If you are anywhere near Worcester / Hereford I'll give you a hand fitting it all...

KB, is this what you need?

Address 76: Park Assist Labels: 1Z0-919-283.lbl

Part No SW: 1Z0 919 283 B HW: 1Z0 919 283 B

Component: Parkhilfe 4-Kan H04 0020

Coding: 0000001

Shop #: WSC 73430 790 08192

VCID: 3D7B12C564045AF00AA

That's it. Yours is on address 76, which is the older one. You will need to do the rewiring!

Not certain about compatibility with the actual sensors and new PDC controllers though.

Apart from rewiring the Controller to the new Location (10), you will also most likely need to rewire the Rear Sensors Adapter. To confirm if this Sensors' rewiring is required, rewire the new Controller and scan on VCDS. If you get a "Mechanical Failure" on Rear Sensors, rewiring the Rear Sensors Connector will most likely sort it out.

2007, think it was registered in June

Ta, mines 2008 so hoping when I scan next week I might still be lucky and its already wired to the drive CANBUS on 10. But I doubt it!!

Also I've just been looking at getting the trim off to access the controller. What a faff that is!!!!

Adam

I guessed as much, thanks.

Out of interest does anyone know how much 10m of can wire costs approx as it only seems to be available from a dealer (can't find much about it on web).

Around £14 (can't remember if that was inc. VAT or not).

It's most likely that they will supply green wires as opposed to orange wires though (at least my dealer did saying that all CAN bus wire was that colour now). Skodateile.cz sell orange CAN wire, but once you've factored in postage, I doubt it will be cheaper.

Why not make your own? It's only two strands of thin wire twisted together!

From what I can gather, the OPS went to address 10 when the new central electronics controller (which did away with and incorporated the central convenience controller)was used. This is generally the facelift models, and also some of the pre-FL LE editions that seemed to be hybrids of pre-FL and FL, and these were 09 and 59 plates

Mike

This was my thought also, but I wanted someone else to confirm it, from memory all the cars I have scanned that have had the latter CECM have been 2009 onwards - this is across the whole VAG range not just Škoda.

One of the pair is earth, so it is the next best thing to coax, plus the twisting also imparts an impedance.

Practically, none of them is Earth.

They are actually on different potentials (Voltages), the difference in these potentials is what dictates one of two states, viz a 'Recessive' (usually a binary 1) and a 'Dominant' (usually a binary 0) state. Sequence of these 'States' acts like sequence of 'bits' forming the basic unit of data transfer. One of the Pair is called CAN_High which carries the higher potential voltage and the other is called the CAN_Low, which carries the lower potential voltage.

Another advantage of having the twisted pair on different potentials is to cancel out mutual interference.

• Like 1

To try and reduce any electrical interference.

You could take one pair of wires out of a CAT5 network cable and use them, they are already a twisted pair :-)

Andy, just tried this, will the wire guage be sufficient to carry the voltage?? It seems very thin...

Thanks

Adam

Has anyone added can wiring to the gateway placed behind the steering wheel rather than that behind the glovebox in earlier models. If so just wondered which way you went with the wires.

Seem to be two choices as my wires will travel down passenger side. So I can go through firewall on passenger side and across engine bay, or behind centre dash and through firewall up over the pedals somewhere.

Thanks

Adam

I have.

Couldn't find anyway through to the engine bay from the driver's (right) side, but there is one behind the glovebox & pollen filter.

Getting to the CAN is easiest, in my opinion, from the engine bay. Remove wiper arm & motor linkage & scuttle panel and you'll find a black rubber cover with the CAN directly behind that.

Enough room to get a soldering iron in.

If you remove the car display / clocks, an assistant can pass wires through from there. Again easier than removing the trim above driver's feet.

You'll have to take the CAN wires behind the dash trim though.