When to turn of ESP?

Am I right in assuming it is good to turn of ESP in snow? Lots of snow (10-15cm) on the road in town and without ESP it was much easier to drive around. Winter tyres fitted of course :)

Am I right in assuming it is good to turn of ESP in snow? Lots of snow (10-15cm) on the road in town and without ESP it was much easier to drive around. Winter tyres fitted of course :)

Heard of turning ABS off in snow, but don't know about ESP

I'm sure when I saw the Top Gear / Fifth Gear demo of ESP it was done on a snow covered frozen lake. From that I'd guess it shouldn't be switched off?

Found the video on YouTube

Edited by spencem
  • Like 1

Though I guess if the button is there to turn it off (left side of gear knob where the pictogram of the car is sliding) then there must be certain conditions where it is useful to have it turned off. Manoeuvring in the deepish snow was much easier having turned the button off.

somtimes in snow esp will cut power to driving wheels if they start to slip, but this is needed t get tge car out of ruts etc, I leave esp on, switching off temporarily to get car moving, then back on again. also works in muddy conditions

Button doesn't turn off ESP (also known as ESC). It only turns off ASR.

ESP/ESC Electronic stability program/control: Tries to keep the car going in the direction it's steered by braking single wheels.

ASR: Anti slip regulation, also known as traction control, reduces engine torque when it detects wheel slip.

You can't actually turn off the entire ESP system (the parts of the system that stabilises the car remain active). Pressing the button next to the gear lever turns off the Traction Control System (TCS) element.

From the manual:

The TCS should normally always be switched on. It may be good practice in certain exceptional cases, such as when you wish to have wheel slip, to switch off the system.

Examples:

when driving with snow chains,

when driving in deep snow or on a loose surface,

when it is necessary to rock a car free when it has become stuck.

then you should switch on the TCS again.

Edited by artichoke273

^^^ I agree.

ASR will cut the drive to a spinning wheel.

In snow you need as many wheels as possible providing drive even if one has less grip than the other.

Generally leave it switched on but if necessary, as in the conditions above, then turn it off.

The manual actually makes sense for a change :giggle:

I did not switch any of them off yesterday and had no problems in driving in some deep now and icey roads if I just used common sense (had to borrow that from someone though). :giggle::rofl:

ESP button (ASR also) is typically turned off when you are suppose to try driving without any computer help. For instance, taking a driving course in snow and then learning how your car react and moves, when the computer doesn't help you.

Also professionals / young racers turn it off, when drag racing. If you know your car very well, you should be able to cut a few milliseconds of your 0-60 time. If you've seen Top Gear, then you should be familiar with the concept.

Generally, turning off ESP/ASR would be very very unwise in my opinion. It can and will save your life, if your car slides out of control.

Here's a copy/paste from Wikipedia:

Due to the fact that stability control can sometimes be incompatible with high-performance driving (i.e. when the driver intentionally loses traction as indrifting), many vehicles have an over-ride control which allows the system to be partially or fully shut off. In simpler systems, a single button may disable all features, while more complicated setups may have a multi-position switch or may never be truly turned fully off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control

Stability control has helped me a couple of time by responding before I have had a chance to do so in corners when there has been black ice. I came across some only a few weeks ago when the car outside temperature said 2 degrees, and it cut in mid corner. The motorcycle behind me was not so lucky and I had to stop and help him, but he only injured his pride. I think its well worth having as its very discrete.

Two words for you all (bar one poster). Snow / winter Tyres!

I'm a Brit living in Germany & by law I have to fit winter tyres between Oct & April (later if weather remains cold). I never bothered to buy a set until a few years ago when they made it compulsory, otherwise your insurance is invalid & the Politzi will give a large fine. I wish I had done it earlier, what a difference they make!! The cost of 4 x steel rims & tyres was justified by being able to drive in conditions I used to get stuck in all the time. The Germans would just drive around me & beep their horns, now I know why they made it look so easy.

As for ESP button use, what Artichoke273 said is correct. Pressing the ESP button only turns off the traction control, not the ESP skid prevention system. Even with winter tyres, in slippery conditions on some gradients I have had to press the button to get moving as the traction control repeatedly stalls the engine once the clutch pedal has been lifted. My Superb wouldn't go anywhere & kept stalling. I know that I can't slip the clutch too much as I will burn it out, but that was how I was having to drive to get moving on these gradients. So, I tried pressing the ESP button, got moving straight away with only a little wheel spin involved. As soon as I was moving and into 2nd gear with the clutch up, I turned ESP / traction control back on as it is a life saver in slippery conditions. It is only a button press so press it as many times as you need it. The less wheel spin the better, just planting your foot & going for it is counterproductive as you reduce the tyres friction coefficient. I don’t know if pressing the ESP button would work the same in an Automatic, but if the button is there it should do. I know Autos are horrid to drive in the snow.

So to summarise, if you can afford to buy some winter tyres, do it. They are an excellent investment & can save you having a slow speed bump such as turning into your driveway & not actually making the turn (yep, I’ve done that, gate post right into centre of bumper) or in a shopping centre car park. Turn ESP / Traction control off just to get moving when on a steep gradient & once moving; turn it back on ASAP as it will assist you driving safely. You should have no problem on normal flat roads even when they are slippery, just keep your wheel spin to a minimum.

Edited by blahde2
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

It is possible to recode your Superb with VCDS so that a short press on the TCS on/off button switch off the TCS and a long press on the button will turn off both TCS and ESP.

I added this functionality to my car in order to maximize the fun of having a 4WD car. Of course I leave ESP on for normal driving, but if you take the car out on a frozen lake, it's much more fun if you can turn ESP off. :happy:

I've had some situations when I would not get out with TCS on. When you stuck in the deep snow or climbing steep mountain road - it is a must to have wheels spinning rather fast in order snow to fly away from tire thread. And with TCS on - the system prevents wheels from over spinning and stalls the engine. 

I remember once in Alps I managed to climb the mountain road with FWD car (245  wide winter tires which is nightmare during winter) without chains - some locals were surprised. The trick was to keep revs close to red line at 2nd gear. Car was crawling slowly but steadily. Of course I was sweating like hell because working with the steering wheel all the time to keep the car straight. The same day I made my mind that my next car has to be AWD!

• 11 months later...

It is possible to recode your Superb with VCDS so that a short press on the TCS on/off button switch off the TCS and a long press on the button will turn off both TCS and ESP.

I added this functionality to my car in order to maximize the fun of having a 4WD car. Of course I leave ESP on for normal driving, but if you take the car out on a frozen lake, it's much more fun if you can turn ESP off. :happy:

May I ask how this is done? 

That APR instruction is made to Golf and some Finnish guys said that it will work with Octavia also. But not in Superb.

http://www.goapr.com/support/esp-defeat.html?long_orig=+988760690+

The coding to make the ESP switchable depends on the part number of the ABS unit not the car model.

The method for the Golf in the link above worked on my ABS unit, there are a couple other codings for other part numbers and then there are some part numbers that can't be recoded.

My ABS unit has part number 1K0 907 379 BL. The "Golf method" should also work for part numbers that ends with BH/BJ/BK.

/Joakim

If you turn off tbe esp, the wheel with the least traction will spin and you won't move whereas with the esp on it will dab the brake on that spinning wheel transfering power to the non spinning wheel until that starts to spin and so on . it also cuts the engine power so you dont rev the nuts off it and spin the wheels.

I did many a mile in fresh snow in my front wd car and was surprised how it managed to creep along up snow and ice covered hills

Edited by peterposh

Thanks to all for the answers.

I believe that in deep snow ESP can help you to move but that not the reason why I want it off.

Reason why I want ESP completely off is that it kills all fun on ice.

I can keep car in sliding quite long but when I counter steer the ESP kicks in quite hard. Earlier I have had some older four wheel drive Audi´s. Those 4X4 were based on torsen and there wasn't any computer based aids. So this Skoda is first Haldex and ESP car for me.

Well after couple weeks I will go some place where I can practise. (see the video)

Disclaimer:

I´m not supporting any kind of foolish behavior on the road. All above mentioned things I going to do in closed areas on ice or on racetracks.

• Like 1

peterposh, 

What you are referring to is TCS, traction control, not ESP.

Traction control will cut power to prevent wheel spin. ESP will kick in to help you counter skidding when the car accelerometers determine that you and your vehicle is going in a direction not in accordance to your steering wheel input - i.e. over or understeer.

As I have a 12 km drive each morning to get to a major road (in Sweden) I'm well aware of the benefits of both TCS (not much of an issue with 4x4 :D ) and ESP.

Yesterday morning I had 15 cm of fresh snow on the road - finally the real winter is here and I can get some use of my four wheel drive! :clap:

• Like 1

Lipponen, 

Regarding driving at ludicrous speeds on gravel or snow/ice I have to say that our former countrymen ( ;) ) in the east are the best...perkele!  :clap: