Help with buying a Skoda Citigo

Sal76

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help answer a few questions for me please?

I have been looking at buying a new small car and have had a look at both, the Up! and Citigo. I am keen on the Citigo more as I don't really like the interior of the UP!

As I need a new car pretty soon, I am interested in buying a ex-demo (nearly new) and have found a few that I am interested in.

This is the first car I am buying for myself and I have been to see a few Skoda dealership garages but I am starting to feel like I can't believe half of what the salespeople are telling me (not sure if is because I am a young female, looking by myself, for a new car and they are just telling me what they think I want to hear!). For example - a few have stated that its only been registered to the garage, only to later find out that the car actually had a private owners, or that its a demo car only used for demos - when in actual fact its a courtesy car given to someone for many months and therefore not available to view for a few weeks.

I mostly need the car for driving locally and to use occasionally on the motorway (a few times per month).

Can anyone please help answer the following questions:

1. Is there much difference between the 60ps and 75ps with the citigos'?

2. What is Skoda Customer Service like?

3. Is it true that everything is covered within the warranty and servicing for 3 years? I have asked a few salespeople and they are stating that EVERYTHING is included in the warranty and servicing for just under 3 years (including general wear and tear, clutches, brake pads etc).

4. If I buy a car from an approved Skoda dealer which is about 150 miles from me and find something wrong - would I have problems having them solved and fixed?

5. Can anyone recommend a good dealership near to London please?

Many thanks!

1) 15ps is the difference. Driving both I couldn't tell a difference.

2) Never had a problem with skoda now going on to my 4th Skoda.

3) All warranties have exclusions with mileage limits and general wear and tear items. Dealer should be able to give you full terms (also on their website I believe). Servicing is 30k miles and covers the standard service parts, it doesn't include wear and tear items such as brakes and tyres.

4) Not bought a second hand car from a dealer but all citigo's still have a balance of warranty so any dealer should solve any problems.

5) Allams in Epsom is my prefered dealer, not had a problem so far. Marlborough I only use for parts but they seem to know what they are doing, though the sales team do not seem to know much about the product.

Can't help you on too many of the questions as I have only had experience of my car for a few months so not had to deal with the dealers much, only to buy the car. It was a good experience, no fuss or hassle or trying to sell me other stuff, products, services etc.

The car itself is a good little package and sounds ideal for what you need it for. I have the 75ps engine (Elegance) model and it copes admirally with motorway journeys and of course is a breeze to drive around town. I found it comes into it's own when faced with parking or trying to get into or through tight spaces.

Don't let them fool you at the dealers with waffle, do the checks on the car, ask questions on these forums, we will help if we can. So far I've done 2500 trouble free miles, hope it continues :rock:

Mick

First of all, I am very happy with my Citigo Elegance. I have only two weeks experience, but have put 1200 km behind me already :)

As I need a new car pretty soon, I am interested in buying a ex-demo (nearly new) and have found a few that I am interested in.

Remember that there are guidelines for running the motor in, and demo cars have probably not been driven very nicely (I suppose most potential buyers want to test acceleration with high revs etc).

I can't believe half of what the salespeople are telling me (not sure if is because I am a young female, looking by myself, for a new car and they are just telling me what they think I want to hear!).

:( Try to get anything relevant written down and included with the contract!

I mostly need the car for driving locally and to use occasionally on the motorway (a few times per month).

A Citigo sounds perfect then ;)

The motors are supposedly the same, with different tuning, and I have seen a diagram showing that the torque is equal in the most relevant rpms. I bought the 60ps, and have no problem overtaking other cars (you need to gear carefully, though)

I can't help with the others, as I'm not British. But good luck, and welcome to the club :D

Can anyone please help answer the following questions:

2. What is Skoda Customer Service like?

3. Is it true that everything is covered within the warranty and servicing for 3 years? I have asked a few salespeople and they are stating that EVERYTHING is included in the warranty and servicing for just under 3 years (including general wear and tear, clutches, brake pads etc).

4. If I buy a car from an approved Skoda dealer which is about 150 miles from me and find something wrong - would I have problems having them solved and fixed?

5. Can anyone recommend a good dealership near to London please?

Many thanks!

Welcome!

1. Not much. The 75 seems to hang on better above 4500rpm though. Marginal difference though.

2. It depends first on how good the dealer is, I've not had to deal with Skoda any further than that yet as I haven't had any serious issues with any of their cars (this is my 6th Skoda).

3. The free servicing comes with the Solutions finance package. Everything is covered except wear and tear items, though if a clutch failed in only 2000 miles, it would be covered I believe.

4. I doubt it, any dealer will be able to investigate and carry out warranty work.

5. I'll leave that to others, I'm at the wrong end of the country for that. :)

Otherwise, the usual tactics apply when dealing with salesmen. Don't seem to be in a hurry to get a car, or they'll sell you one they have (not necessarily what you want to buy). Know what you want and need from the car. Tommorrows deal will be just as good as todays, don't fall for the "I can only do this deal today" line. Only give your money to someone who has earned it by doing a good job.

Citigos will be hard to come by, there's up to 3 months wait for a new one, so the only things left are any new cars that are already built and unallocated (3 weeks delivery, and not many of them), showroom stock and ex-demos. I got lucky and took a showroom stock car as it was the spec I wanted anyway and I didn't mind it being white.

If you have any other questions, just ask away and we'll keep you right :)

I will have a go at points 2 & 4

2- Skoda Customer service in general is very good,

- If you are asking about Skoda UK in Milton Keynes, I have only had to deal with them twice in the 5 Skodas i have owned & have been very good & these have been around specific questions my local dealer could not answer.

- If you are asking about dealers then like ALL car dealers there are a few 'iffy' ones, but as the JD power survey shows year after year (for at least the last 5 years & probably more) Skoda come out always in the top 3, so the number of 'iffy' dealers is can be considered negligible.

4 - If a car is purchased from a Skoda dealer & has Skoda warranty, any dealer should be able to sort out this work, they may not like it, but in the end its Skoda who will pay for the work to be done & not you or the dealer who does it.

When buying any car with warranty always work on the premise that consumables are not covered, & if unsure ask the dealer to list what they class as consumables so you are fully aware.

As far a recommending a dealer near London , you dont say in which direction out of London you would travel, as a quick look in the dealer review section will probably give you a good idea, & I am sure a PM to a poster who has used a dealer you have found what looks like a good one for an update will be most helpfull to you.

If youre prepared to travel there is a sponsor here who seems to offer very good deals to Brisky members.

I have found that if you just happen to drop in that youre on the Briskoda forum doing research during a conversation & watch very closely the persons reaction, you may see a change of attitude.

90,000+ members cant be wrong ;)

I am a Yeti owner (have just ordered my second) and my wife will be taking delivery of a new 5-door Citigo in the next couple of weeks. Fairly lengthy research convinced me that it was not worth paying the extra for the 75ps engine. After-sales is as with all marques: very much down to the individual dealer but Allam's of Epsom (which presumably would just be a nice little drive out for you!) get a consistently very good press on this site. Skoda UK itself is hopeless: they know little about their own products. You'll get far better - ie more accurate, and honest - answers from fellow owners on this site! Welcome!

I am on my second Yeti. My son and a friend now own Citigos on my recommendation.

Overall Skoda service has been excellent.

The 60 bhp engine is the same as the 75bhp engine,with identical torque(pulling power if you like.)

The 75 bhp engine only produces its last 15 horsepower from around 5000 up to 6200 revs per minute,so in normal driving you wont notice any difference.

Try and check out the 5 door Citigo as well as the 3 door.The 5 door has much better rear seat access.

We went test driving yesterday. Hyundai i20 and the Citigo.

We decided on the Citigo. Then progressed to driving a 60 and 75. I agree with previous comments that there was no real difference to me and now the power delivery has been explained I can now understand why.

So I am going for a red 5 door elegance 60 ps with spare wheel. Might stretch to sunroof option. Extended warranty too and opt for finance deal which will include the 3 years servicing. Just got to get the best trade in from one of the 3 dealers I have browsed around ( trading in a Vw and not my Vrs !)

With regard to your question 5...

Depends what you mean by `near` to London.

I'll just say that if you can take a drive to Peterborough I can personally recommend `Wings of Peterborough`

Best of luck in your search.

Guest Tsi Fly

I thought he was a She as in 'not sure if is because I am a young female, looking by myself'

Good point, well spotted, seems that I messed UP!

Guest Tsi Fly

Will the Up! Jokes ever stop? Haha.

Wonder how long before somebody gets their UP tagged with expletives by some cider fueled 13yr old on a Friday night?