Dash Cam & 12V Multi Adaptor Hidden Install (driver storage compartment)

FUBAR

I bought one of these instead of wiring in a cig socket.

12v to 2xUSB adapter, so I can have my phone and camera powered off the one plug, and it also and saves having to install a bulky cig socket in the fuse box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390960385453?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=783181997066&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

$_12.JPG

I was tempted by these in later cars as I have the mobius cameras, but not all cameras use USB plug for power so I didn't want to have to change it all when I change to my next cameras etc in future. Plus I didn't throw a 12v stip socket into the cavity by fuse box like some of you pikies :P 

I bought one of these instead of wiring in a cig socket.

12v to 2xUSB adapter, so I can have my phone and camera powered off the one plug, and it also and saves having to install a bulky cig socket in the fuse box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390960385453?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=783181997066&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

$_12.JPG

That's what I used, the second USB is in the little cubby underneath the light switch to charge my phone...

IMG_6694_zpszjfsjlkl.jpg

IMG_6699_zpsaltauqlu.jpg

• Like 1

Really like that idea but I use that compartment to store change for parking meters, tolls etc. may have to find another location for it.

So do I, you can see the pound coins and mini torch in the bottom.

I used to and still do in the mighty Mk1, use the ashtray lower centre console one for all that stuff and always have. The right compartment one is just too light and plastic for me to have thrown coins in like it was a bus lol. I demand you both change your ways! That reminds me I keep fiting £1 and £2 coins in mine and it's almost too heavy to open at moment for the spring :( Must spend some of it, I hardly ever pay for parking as I am a proper thrifty Skoda driver (walking 2 miles after finding a free space) :D  

• Like 4

Thanks for an easy guide to follow , I used a single fag lighter type socket I had lying around and put it in that little driver box .
I was thinking when fitting that it would fit in with the fuse box , might change it and put it in there ,

dont use the driver box for anything other than old parking tickets and maybe some un used poo bags for the dog . :dance:

Much like the idea of the usb plug in the dash switch .

• Like 1

Thanks for an easy guide to follow , I used a single fag lighter type socket I had lying around and put it in that little driver box .

I was thinking when fitting that it would fit in with the fuse box , might change it and put it in there ,

dont use the driver box for anything other than old parking tickets and maybe some un used poo bags for the dog . :dance:

Much like the idea of the usb plug in the dash switch .

You can fit one in the Superb's fuse box at the end of the dash.....

image8_zps8ac091a1.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

This is a great guide, one I will be following once I receive my vRS.

I took delivery of my camera today.  One question I do have, and I apologise if this is a complete idiotic question......

Here goes.....

Once I cut the male end off the multiway box (the bit that would plug in to the 12v) I assume I would be left with 2 wires?...How do I tell which one is tapped into the fuse and which one needs to be grounded?

If you can open the plug before you cut it off themiddle 1 out of the 2 is the power .

even if you hit it with a hammer to get inside before you cut it off .

When you have the power 1 I always put a bit of tape on the power wire saves getting my multi metre out .

hello to everyone ,

i have skoda octavia 1.2 tsi 2010.

the privies owners installed car phone -motorola m930,

i don't use so i told someone to remove it,

there are still left all the wires in the car, i found which one is plus (12v after switch) and which one is ( 0 ).

i didn't find any fuze related to plus wire.

my question is- can i connect the 3 way cigarette convector to this car phone wires ?

i want to connect bluetooth kinivo btc455 to one socket, 2 usb 4.2 amp to a second socket and third socket will be optional.

i  didn't find fuze for my rear wiper, but i know he is there because he is working, how much amper is this fuze?

in your " simply wrong" picture is the exactly place of my cigarette fuze-the third on the left side.

i wont to leave my original cigarette socket on its original place.

can i connect to this car phone wires or i need to find this rear wiper fuze ?

thanks

hello to everyone ,

there are still left all the wires in the car, i found which one is plus (12v after switch) and which one is ( 0 ).

my question is- can i connect the 3 way cigarette convector to this car phone wires ?

i want to connect bluetooth kinivo btc455 to one socket, 2 usb 4.2 amp to a second socket and third socket will be optional.

i  didn't find fuze for my rear wiper, but i know he is there because he is working, how much amper is this fuze?

in your " simply wrong" picture is the exactly place of my cigarette fuze-the third on the left side.

i wont to leave my original cigarette socket on its original place.

can i connect to this car phone wires or i need to find this rear wiper fuze ?

thanks

hello, its was very good guide and the pictures with comments of every move.

now its so easy.

i have one question - why you choose 5 amp for the triple socket cigarette and not more like 10 amp ?

thanks

• Like 1

hello, its was very good guide and the pictures with comments of every move.

now its so easy.

i have one question - why you choose 5 amp for the triple socket cigarette and not more like 10 amp ?

thanks

Line from post #1 highlighted below  :p

In preparation to install my new Blackvue DR500 (thanks to BossFox  :thumbup: ) I decided to do the ground work now as I wanted it hard wired into the fuse box (for min wires showing) but didn't want to cut off the plug for camera so it can be used in another car if needed and allows easy installation of an additional camera or 12V device. I decided since I had a spare Multi 12V socket adaptor lying around that was fairly compact I could mount it in the driver side storage compartment as it's right by fuse box. The idea then to install camera cable routed to here and plug in also leaving me space in compartment to charge phones etc without wire on show in car (which I hate)!

The same method could be used to help someone wanting to merely hard wire their dash cam / drive recorder directly to fuse box missing out the 12V multi socket adaptor obviously.

***Disclaimer*** The information below is how I have installed both items into my own car, should anyone wish to use the same method(s) it is at their own discretion. There are various other methods which could have been used along the way, I did not disconnect the battery as I was using a switched live ignition fuse and thought it pointless as with key removed this was isolated (if using a permanent live I still wouldn't have personally). I did used crimps rather than solder which would be arguably the better option because I couldn't be bothered. 5amp fuse used as I only have 1 device running off it at present and is sufficient. I used a fork crimp rather than a loop one as it was the best one in my 'ebay special' set I bought in true Skoda thrifty fashion.

Parts used:

1. Multi 12V female socket adaptor (similar to this) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-3-Way-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Socket-Charger-Adapter-USB-Port-Chargers-/360588838749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53f4c5075d

2. Blade fuse piggy back tap adaptor (purchased here good quality) http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a14ad475d

3. Fork crimp (cheapo ones in link below)

4. 3M double sided panel adhesive foam (similar to) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-VHB-Acrylic-Foam-Tape-4919-F-tabs-rectangles-x-10-Double-sided-adhesive-16x67-/191510154703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c96e50dcf

5. 5amp blade fuse

6. DoD GS600 1080p HD, Full GPS Data Logging dash camera (2 years old soon to be replaced) http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2326cd8af7

7. Currently Mobius Action Cameras (front and rear) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobius-ActionCam-Full-HD-Sports-Camera-1080P-30FPS-720P-60FPS-Pocket-Camcorder-/151071891306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232c961f6a

8. Windscreen mounts for Mobius most compact mount is self adhesive one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Windshield-Mini-Tape-Mount-Holder-Mobius-Action-Cam-16-Car-Key-Camera-/161054762107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257f9ca47b (or suction type) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Windshield-Suction-Cup-Mount-Holder-Mobius-Action-Cam-16-Car-Key-Camera-/181166005622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2e55dd76 

Tools used:

1. Crimping / wire stripping tool (mine is 987 miles away so cheapo ebay set) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273pc-Electrical-Crimping-Tool-Kit-/390525716539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5aed25883b

2. 13mm spanner (again mine are 987 miles away so stole one  :bandit: )

3. Scissors (on your own for that one)

Sorry for all the pics but I am posting them all anyway as I have nothing better to do this afternoon.

First here is the driver side storage compartment (before)

1.jpg

12V Multi female 12V socket adaptor (with brightest LED known to man)

3.jpg

Remove fuse box cover (slot for ignition key at bottom to release cover)

2.jpg

Cut cable of 12V adaptor near male plug end

4.jpg

Feed cable through hole in side of storage compartment

5.jpg

Feed wire through gap in side of inner dash towards fuse box

25.jpg

Pull wire through fuse box compartment

7.jpg

Cut off and attach a piece of double sided 3M self adhesive foam to back of 12V multi adaptor

8.jpg

Mount 12V adaptor to lower back of storage compartment

9.jpg

Split 12V adaptors cable, strip and crimp a fork crimp to negative cable

10.jpg

Loosen metal nut on bulkhead with 13mm spanner

11.jpg

Insert negative cable with fork crimp and tighten nut

12.jpg

Strip positive cable and insert into in line crimp on blade fuse piggyback adaptor and crimp it securely in place

13.jpg

Remove rear wiper 15amp fuse (ignition switched live) and insert in rear slot of blade fuse adaptor and a 5amp fuse in front (fuse info below) ***To be sure on which position for fuse in blade fuse adaptor: Remove fuse for position to be used and test in each position whichever one it works in will be the primary fuse slot and the other can be used for the new fuse being added.***

14.jpg

Insert blade fuse adaptor back into rear wiper socket in fuse box

15.jpg

Ignition off (visual check)

16.jpg

Ignition on (visual check)

17.jpg

Test performed with a sat nav (a work one just in case)

18.jpg

There ends the first stage of installation and now I routed the cable for my current camera (soon to be replaced)

Camera mounted on windscreen having fed plug through top of driver storage compartment, through fuse box

19.jpg

Cable fed into head lining at top of windscreen (only visible wire)

20.jpg

Cable fed behind trim on front pillar to right of windscreen emerging at top of fuse box

21.jpg

Slack of cable stowed in cavity and final view of fusebox before replacing cover

22.jpg

Camera 12V male plug inserted in 12V multi adaptor, fuse box cover back in place and ignition on

23.jpg

Camera recording with GPS fix with ignition on

24.jpg

Mobius later on

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The End until the new camera arrives  :rock:

ps. I have a blue plaster on my finger because I was attacked just before this by an Opel Astra's windscreen wash tanks lid, which was tight and when it finally came off nail caught on inner lip and split my nail down middle. Cheap GM rubbish!  :swear:

***EDIT***

As the fuse box layout in my manual is utterly incorrect by sequence and allocations I have rearranged the original fuse layout card in a rather pikey fashion (MS Paint cut and past each one, took forever). Assumption is card supplied refers to LHD cars not RHD so all lines are back to front. Numbers are irrelevant as they do not correspond with the owners manual regardless of which order but symbols to locations are correct for my car now.

The following is correct for my 2011 Octavia II FL CR TDi anyway (yet I have some extra unlisted fuses in car): I am printing it out to keep in car.

Before

Fuses%25203.png

After (This now corresponds to my fuse box as I look at it holding card upright)

Fuses%25204.png

• Like 1

i got it thnaks, the thing is ,

my question is- can i connect the 3 way cigarette convector to this car phone wires , is there enough amp for my accessories ?

i want to connect bluetooth kinivo btc455 to one socket, 2 usb 4.2 amp to a second socket and third socket will be optional, if the 5 amp is enough for this or can i use 10 amp?.

i don't smoke and want to place this splitter in front asstray.

thanks

i got it thnaks, the thing is ,

my question is- can i connect the 3 way cigarette convector to this car phone wires , is there enough amp for my accessories ?

i want to connect bluetooth kinivo btc455 to one socket, 2 usb 4.2 amp to a second socket and third socket will be optional, if the 5 amp is enough for this orPer can i use 10 amp?.

i don't smoke and want to place this splitter in front asstray.

thanks

Personally I would start a new line from the fuse box if I didn't know where exactly it was coming from and if it was fit to handle what I wanted it for or even fused. You can always put an in line fuse onto it, but you still won't be sure where it's coming from. It's so straight forward to add what you want in the Mk2, as I say, I'd just do it from scratch to know exactly how it's set up. 

I have one question - why you choose 5 amp for the triple socket cigarette and not more like 10 amp ?

thanks

The purpose of any fuse is to protect the wiring and not to protect the unit it serves. Fire risk.

Most of the installations I have seen on this and other forums use a 5A fuse. The cable is usually a small computer cable with a mini USB connector. The cable is rated at around one Ampere.

So if your cable is cut on a sharp edge somewhere or damaged by over bending, the cable will overheat before the fuse blows.

The Möbius camera I will be installing shortly takes a maximum current of 530mA when charging and recording simultaneously. The worst case efficiency of the 12V to 5V converter is 80% so I will be using a 1A in-line fuse immediatly after the 5A fuse in the tap connection.

I urge you not to use any fuse that is larger than the cable rating. Some car fires have identified this as a possible cause.

One solution worth considering if you are using a cigarette type socket is to use a plug that has a built in fuse. This can be changed to say 1A.

Good morning,

I lesten to your advise and ran new wires from fuse box (didn't connect yet) to my new location.you can see my cable thickness (picture attached).

And this is what i want to order http://www.amazon.com/AVANTEK-3-Socket-Cigarette-Dual-Port-Computers/dp/B00F474DVG

And like you did, cut of the plug that go to the cigarette socet and connect the plus to the red wire and to the fuse tap holder and the black wire to the ground.

I don't know if there enough amper for my needs ,the kinivo and only the usb splitter is 4.2 a.

So i want to know what do you think.post-129757-0-28703600-1431322251_thumb.jpg

Edited by enbl80

Good morning,

I lesten to your advise and ran new wires from fuse box (didn't connect yet) to my new location.you can see my cable thickness (picture attached).

And this is what i want to order http://www.amazon.com/AVANTEK-3-Socket-Cigarette-Dual-Port-Computers/dp/B00F474DVG

And like you did, cut of the plug that go to the cigarette socet and connect the plus to the red wire and to the fuse tap holder and the black wire to the ground.

I don't know if there enough amper for my needs ,the kinivo and only the usb splitter is 4.2 a.

So i want to know what do you think.attachicon.gifIMG_20150511_070404.jpg

Your cables look like they are good for at least 5A.

The Amazon link to the Chinese product has misleading text. They say it is good for 120W which is presumably at 24V (so 60W or 5A at 12V) but the fuse in the plug is 2A.

I assume they had to fit a 2A fuse to protect their cable, which looks smaller than 5A rated cable in their picture, or to protect the circuits that produce the 5V for the USB power outlets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371200960018?var=640339698094

or this one from ebay

is the fuse from the Fuse Tap Holder (if i put 10a) is enough for the hole circuit ?

this what i will order according to your advise

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191468796990?var=490555151290

10a is enoth for 2 usb 4.2a and the bluetooth kinivo btc455 ?

thanks again

eddie

Thanks for the post FUBAR. This is perfect for what i want for my camera. I don't use that compartment plus my satnav lives that side too.

A quick question. I intend to run my satnav off it too, plus the adaptor I have has USBs. Would you suggest a 10a or bigger fuse?

Edited by qwerty85

Work out how much current draw you have & select wire gauge, fuses and other hardware accordingly.  Watts = amps x volts  Here's a calculator

I run a garmin Nuvi GPS & a yumcha dashcam off the same circuit and only use a 2 amp fuse.  Even if I plugged my phone in it would only draw 7w which is about 0.6 amp (or I've got my calcs totally wrong)