In Car Cameras

SmartCamDirect

LoL drove to work today and while sitting waiting on the bus checked out the footage to make sure it was working.

It was but the picture was pretty poor. Worried for a bit then realised I'd forgotten to take off the clear label protecting the lens. I left it on so I wouldn't touch the lens while fitting :p

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a MiVue 538 from Halfords for less than £100. Produces reasonable video in bright sunshine. I have a sample that I uploaded to photobucket but don't know how to post here. Can someone advise?

I presume all these cams not hardwired through a power magic pro, and are only plugged into a cig lighter socket only work when the ignition is on ie driven. 

The point of a cam is to protect when parked ignition off.So to get full use they need a live feed when parked,and a ac ignition feed when driven..

The power to the socket is permanently live, regardless of how long ago you locked the car etc.

yup

I've often come out to the car in the morning and seen that the camera is still on from the night before

I need to get myself another one (for the front) and would preferred to get it hard wired however the last time i did get it hard wired the bloke buggered up my interior light so it flickered then eventually stopped working.  i'm no good myself at wiring stuff in so if anyone fancies earning a few beer tokens when i get one let me know.

I stand corrected -- the socket in the boot on the estate is certainly canbus switched on mine -- found that when a cool box switches off after a few minutes, and just assumed the front one was the same

Mike

On my MkII estate it isn't. Left it with the coolbox plugged in for at least an hour on Monday and it didn't turn off.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Mike - just a thought:

Some coolboxes (e.g. Waeco) have inbuilt battery protection monitor.

The monitor switches off the coolbox if it senses the voltage of the vehicle battery has dropped below a certain level.

I've just fitted the Thinkware F750. Front & rear cameras. Sony Camera unit, Ambarella A7 chip set. No display, but built-in WiFi allows you to use your Smartphone to set up the menu & download footage.

Brilliant definition. Also uses a Super Capacitor so no battery to worry about. Cost is £200 (approx), but well worth it IMO. Loads of other features, such as GPS, lane departure, forward collision warning.

• Like 1

Anyone had a Blackvue DR650GW yet? Mini 0805 still on my lise for a rear one but my brother want a good one for his car

Had mine in the car for almost 2 years now. Works great - just be careful as Blackvue have moved to a 'cloud' based platform now meaning the latest firmware has slightly lower picture quality and tries to have wi-fi on all the time to connect to hotspots so your camera is accessible at all times. I've stuck with the old firmware as I'm not too keen on the new direction they're taking http://www.blackvue.com/blackvue-over-the-cloud/

Had mine in the car for almost 2 years now. Works great - just be careful as Blackvue have moved to a 'cloud' based platform now meaning the latest firmware has slightly lower picture quality and tries to have wi-fi on all the time to connect to hotspots so your camera is accessible at all times. I've stuck with the old firmware as I'm not too keen on the new direction they're taking http://www.blackvue.com/blackvue-over-the-cloud/

Oh dear, that's blackvue dead then.

Shame as their hardware is good, but I don't want cloud, I want it under my control only.

I wonder if you got a new one whether or not it would have old firmware or the newest, as you could then chose whether or not to update it

Cloud puts me off tbh. Can you still pull footage off normally?

Yeah, recording and management is still local as well so you can ignore the cloud aspect for the most part, but the idea is that it's always network accessible so you can do remote 'live-view' and have notifications for things such as parking dings/gps movement (stolen car). Even 2-way communication between someone on a computer and you in the car.

In theory it's a nice idea, but the fact they reduced the bitrate of the videos to make it easier to send them to the cloud and the fact that 99% of the time my car will be parked nowhere near an accessible, let alone free, hotspot makes the whole thing a bit of a pipe dream at this point. I'd rather have better quality video that I have to be in/near the car to get hold of. I also have some concerns about an always-on wifi connection exacerbating the fact that it's quite a power-hungry unit already.

I'm sure I'll end up upgrading to the new firmware at some point, but until something extraordinary is added to the new software I'm sticking with the old version that works for 99% of my needs.

Yeah, recording and management is still local as well so you can ignore the cloud aspect for the most part, but the idea is that it's always network accessible so you can do remote 'live-view' and have notifications for things such as parking dings/gps movement (stolen car). Even 2-way communication between someone on a computer and you in the car.

In theory it's a nice idea, but the fact they reduced the bitrate of the videos to make it easier to send them to the cloud and the fact that 99% of the time my car will be parked nowhere near an accessible, let alone free, hotspot makes the whole thing a bit of a pipe dream at this point. I'd rather have better quality video that I have to be in/near the car to get hold of. I also have some concerns about an always-on wifi connection exacerbating the fact that it's quite a power-hungry unit already.

I'm sure I'll end up upgrading to the new firmware at some point, but until something extraordinary is added to the new software I'm sticking with the old version that works for 99% of my needs.

When there is an option to turn it off and restore the highest bit rate video it might be worth it, but until then, it's a no go.

Any one have any experience with nextbase stuff?

Father in law has been looking at the 212 & 312 in halfords.

I was on my 3rd (Nextbase402g), before I finally kicked it into touch. The video quality is good, the technical support & advance replacement scheme brilliant. However they do appear to have a problem with the battery and/or charging circuitry. The problem is on shutdown, & because there is no charge in the battery the last video file is corrupted. This may be the most important video clip, if you are involved in an incident, & then when you switch the the ignition off the file is corrupted.

As I said. it has happened with all 3 I have had. They work perfectly well for a few months & then the battery (which is really small), seems to give up the ghost. There is an opinion on another forum that the charging circuitry may be at fault.

I don't know whether this problem is confined to the 402g or is common across the genre.

I now have the Thinkware 705 (super capacitor) & it's brilliant!