1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

Yes with revised tensioner

10k miles

No remap stock car

That is an awful experience. 10k miles seems incredibly short to me, even compared to all the initial failures listed and reported on early revision tensioners. This must be one of the first to report a second failure at all in this thread and at such a low mileage it is very concerning but seems out of alignment even with initial design life expectancy.

Is there a chance there was some other problem or something was wrong with the first repair?  Maybe a specific manufacture fault (not widespread) with the new tensioner batch that was used?  Any repair warranty?  I hope you are finding a way ahead with this.  

That is an awful experience. 10k miles seems incredibly short to me, even compared to all the initial failures listed and reported on early revision tensioners. This must be one of the first to report a second failure at all in this thread and at such a low mileage it is very concerning but seems out of alignment even with initial design life expectancy.

Is there a chance there was some other problem or something was wrong with the first repair? Maybe a specific manufacture fault (not widespread) with the new tensioner batch that was used? Any repair warranty? I hope you are finding a way ahead with this.

Yes it turned out to be after a investigation the bottom end bearing collapsed and the engine smashed its self to pieces so I now have to pay £1300 for a engine Edited by Blackfabiavrs19

Yes it turned out to be after a investigation the bottom end bearing collapsed and the engine smashed its self to pieces so I now have to pay £1300 for a engine

Same outcome then but a different catastrophic fault. A bad run that is for sure. Hopefully the next one will be a better than that! At £1,300 it sounds like you've either found a bargain or getting some contribution which makes that cost seem reasonable, whilst still being unwelcome.

That is a good post. Probably even better if I read Russian first hand. Lots of technical info and detail photos from someone who sounds like they've done a lot of work with these engines.  It gives me more to worry about though - may have to wean myself of reading such things! 

Does the 2.0TSI EA888 share the same piston ring design problems?  Was it rectified from production at any point?

Does the 2.0TSI EA888 share the same piston ring design problems?  Was it rectified from production at any point?

Yes, AFAIK, Audi's 2.0TFSI engines were the first to exhibit this issue. Then VAG made several unsuccessful attempts to rectify it until they finally introduced a trouble-free revision of pistons in autumn of 2011.
  • Like 1

I don't suppose there's anyone who's got a new (or even healthy sounding) 2.0 TSI engine in Devon that I could listen to is there? I had mine replaced in my 2009 FL VRS and then took it back for the valve thing to stop the chattering (which was a relief) but I still don't think it sounds as healthy as it should. It wasn't a rebuild so in theory it should be fine but I'm not confident in how it's sounding. I don't feel like the engineers at the skoda garage (or at least the ones that looked at my car) are particularly sensitive to noise as they couldn't hear the horrendous chattering (they said it was wind noise) the first time I took it in.

Any help much appreciated

I don't suppose there's anyone who's got a new (or even healthy sounding) 2.0 TSI engine in Devon that I could listen to is there? 

I am afraid I'm not close to except when we visit Devon / Cornwall early spring time! I could try to record start up or revving engine if you wanted me to. PM me with your email address if any help.

What was the valve noise that was fixed and what was fixed to resolve?

Sorry, I actually meant the "wastegate" actuator rod vibrating not valves. It was just a clip that needed fitting but before hand it sounded pretty bad. It's a common thing on the EA888 engine (apparently). I'm just off to a meeting but thanks for the help, I'll record he noise mine is making as well and will PM you a bit later.

• Like 1

My Octy 2010 vRS is getting close to 70K.

For it's next service it looks like I should be swapping the timing chain assy again and the camshaft bridge thingy - thankfully between 10k services it stays between the upper and lower oil dipstick marks.

Can anybody confirm what the latest timing chain part number are and the camshaft bridge thing ?

Cheers

Yes it turned out to be after a investigation the bottom end bearing collapsed and the engine smashed its self to pieces so I now have to pay £1300 for a engine

Finally got sorted with a engine. Got a CAWA out of a Scirocco which is exact same engine as CCZA. Got complete engine for £750 and fitted it and fully serviced and started it up and away it went!

I was wondering if the following might be in relation to a belt failure?

Happily cruising on the motorway on Christmas morning on the way to work, when I've hit a clear straight an used the cars ability to go over 65mph. On reaching say 70mph-ish (!) the car has suddenly become very loud, what I assumed was the intake from the location and type of sound. Slowed back down to 60mph for the rest of the trip in.

The noise hasn't left. I've only moved the car to get home and start her twice, the second being filmed.

Symptoms are, probably a drop in power, but to be honest I've not tried any real acceleration for safety reasons. On half to full throttle it now sounds like a if there was such a thing as a diesel Triumph motorbike!

A kind of exhaust leak rasp with a rattling sound too. It's coming form the osf, which makes me concerned it's another presentation of the chain slip issues. 

It starts fine, and no error lights have come on, will VCDS it when I have some time tonight.

Video of the noise https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/sPpdm6tJCURIQzvERMyUcZaycuYQ6SSMyDSPdxBOWZ8?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

I initially thought the pressure of the 'spirited' foot to floor might have caused a pipe leak or an exhaust leak/gasket issue. Non obvious from a quick check, but now need to wait for the garage to open for business again on the 2nd of Jan.

edit:

Just to add, she's never been one for needing an oil top up between a service. Checked on Christmas Eve, and on checking now, although still in the right zone, she's definitely used some oil.

Edited by ChilledBud

Hello all. Having just picked up my 2010 mk2 FL vrs yesterday I am a little concerned but also confused. My confusion comes as when I checked the ref on my car checker for the usual HPI stuff, it names it as a 2.0 tfsi however it has tsi on the engine cover. So my question is which one is mine? Also at 42k miles should I be considering getting the tensioner changed and what sort of cost should I expect?

Thanks for any help

I often find myself in the same situation, often when having things like geometry checked, servicing or getting parts or warranty cover, tfsi often pops up. You def have a TSi if its a FL, you really should get the tensioner done ASAP, if it rattles at all during the first 1/2 second or so during start up, don't use it till its done!

• Like 1

I often find myself in the same situation, often when having things like geometry checked, servicing or getting parts or warranty cover, tfsi often pops up. You def have a TSi if its a FL, you really should get the tensioner done ASAP, if it rattles at all during the first 1/2 second or so during start up, don't use it till its done!

Thanks for the reply. For peace of mind I am going to book in for a new tensioner asap. Any ideas roughly how much I should expect to pay for this?

Skoda UK have just told me that because my 2010 Octy is over 5 years old I'm "on my own". The chap I spoke to was quite clear that once your Skoda hits its fifth birthday Skoda UK won't even consider any goodwill. What really frustrated me though was that the issue of excessive oil use in the 1.8t engine was not acknowledged by Skoda. The guy said he'd checked some system or other which is used to highlight recurring issues and this wasn't one of them. I said that surprised me as it was a documented issue across the VAG range. The upshot of the conversation was that Skoda UK's position was one of no support, despite many years of brand loyalty from myself, my parents and siblings, and that was it.

Skoda UK have just told me that because my 2010 Octy is over 5 years old I'm "on my own". The chap I spoke to was quite clear that once your Skoda hits its fifth birthday Skoda UK won't even consider any goodwill. What really frustrated me though was that the issue of excessive oil use in the 1.8t engine was not acknowledged by Skoda. The guy said he'd checked some system or other which is used to highlight recurring issues and this wasn't one of them. I said that surprised me as it was a documented issue across the VAG range. The upshot of the conversation was that Skoda UK's position was one of no support, despite many years of brand loyalty from myself, my parents and siblings, and that was it.

It's worth chasing/escalating up the chain especially if you are brand loyal.

My car was just older than 5 years and I got Skoda to pay half even though I'd serviced outside the network and had no other Skodas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

My 59 plate has done just over 30k miles and is making a little bit of a rattle for around 1-2 seconds during start up. I've been getting some quotes to get the work done, to replace the whole timing chain. Skoda wanted over £950 £100 an hour labour!!! My local garage I normally use said to budget for around £650. What would be a good price? Do you guys have any links as to where I could buy the chain kit myself?

Best Regards

Marc

There's no chain kit afaik so you'd have to buy the bits individually but they're not cheap if you get them from skoda.

Independents around by me were quoting £450 to £650 so it sounds about right. Do yourself a favour though and just get it done. Don't drive it if there's any symptoms too. I learned the hard way.

Mine is a 2010 2.0 tsi vrs with 42k miles and I have just picked it up today having had everything changed including the tensioner. Only decided on doing this after reading this thread. Now I feel I can drive it without that niggling worry so huge peace of mind

Edited by Pods