Poor tyre wear

kgm

I have run Avon Ice Touring winter tyres on the front of my Fabia Greenline for more than 25k and have changed them at all.2 winters, one summer and still life in them but won't be a good winter tyre now , you are suppose to change winters at 4mm if you want to retain their snow and ice performance. But to sum up I haven't had any issues and would do it again! And will change my Superb tyres to winters once the current Continentals run out and run them all year unless I can find a set of 17 inch wheels to use them on. Provided they fit!

• Like 1

Those ratings are voluntary don't read too much into them

Across one brand (continental in this case) the UTQG ratings are quite useful. Across brands, not so much.

Continental make tyres (purecontact) with a 70,000 mile treadwear waranty. This is similar life alleged by Veloplus. Those Purecontacts have a UTQG of 700 using, you'd expect, continentals same test. The tyres he has have a UTQG of 280.

Given others treadwear experiences with Conti, it would appear 280 is good for about 28,000 miles max.

Despite only getting 13500 out of the fronts, I've just replaced the original Continental CS2s with CS5s. I'm not impressed with this wear, but I liked the grip of these tyres so after much thought I replaced them with as close to the originals as I could. Whilst I tend to corner hard, this is singly the worst wear rate I've ever experienced - including previous cars with over 300hp. I really hope these new tyres last longer...

I changed my Conti 2s for Conti 5s all round after 18,000. I'm well pleased with them. Much quieter and my mpg has increased. I got a good tyre pressure gauge and keep pressures as recommended and tracking checked and slightly adjusted at wheel change. I'll be interested to see what I get from the Conti 5s . The noise sweet spot is around 55mph, but really not intrusive at 70-80. BTW have had my combi 4x4 just over a year and it just keeps getting better.

I was discussing in the office today about recent improvements in fuel consumption and I had said "since the new tyres were fitted" and got the usual torrrent of verbal abuse, but I am seeing an improvement. My commute home this evening showing 35mpg on the maxidot for my 45 mile journey. Definitely agree about the quieter nature of the tyre and the sweetspot speed.

Just Google it.

Not saying you cannot use them, but given the compound they won't last very long.

Maybe "pull themselves apart" is a bit strong.

I don't need to, to know that it's outdated hearsay based on no facts. There is now very little difference in wear rates between summer and winter tyres, and warmer temps does not induce excessive wear.

There are obviously different wear rates between brands and based on use, but it is now perfectly acceptable to run winters all year round. In fact, there is more logic to run a winter tyre all year round than a summer.

Cheers

Steve

I am very tempted to fit winter tyres next time I need to replace, but only if I can get them for the 18s.

I'm assuming that winter fronts and summer rears is a no-no.

Are insurers normally that bothered, or do they just want to know for info?

• 3 months later...

Well my front Conti's have lasted 14.7k and having look through this thread have not seen Goodyear (Goodyear efficient Grip Performance) mentioned even though they score highly for rolling resistance (B), (A) for wet and 69dB for noise which is generally much better than those mentioned. I will see how they do. I did read up on here, Which magazine and Auto Express.

Price:- £128-£160 each on line delivered and fitted. Local village tyre garage (1/2 mile up the road) £123 fitted.

My Continentals on the front lasted a little over 19000 miles of a lot of motorway driving.

Just closing in on 25000 miles now and the rears will need replacing soon, which I think is very heavy wear for rears.

I hear all the horror stories about low mileage on Conti's and I know they do use a slightly softer rubber compound than other manufacturers for some of their tyres. However, I am pleasently surprised by the ones on my Greenline. When measured using my rubber compound gauge, they are much softer than the previous Goodyear efficient Grip on my old car (perhaps by 10%), but after 12,000 miles the Conti's are barely worn. I am predicting 40,000 out of the fronts based upon current wear.

Edited by Pesmog

Awesome - you are heading for 50K miles + on the front tyres of a fwd diesel!

Have you fitted some weird anti-gravity device, which is actually keeping your tyres just above, but not actually on the road surface?( but still keeping you on the road)

The only other conclusion is you must be the smoothest accelerating, turning and braking driver in the world. 47,500 miles! - Kudos to you!

I'd say the guy has confused miles with kilos, if you convert 47kilometers into miles it becomes 29000 miles which is feasable, other than that he had some of those Everlast boots fitted

Current wisdom says your best tyres should be on the rear (which sounded a bit odd at first!). This is recommended by my tyre fitter friend - who runs a Hometyre franchise so knows what he's talking about. The reason being you want the best grip on the rear to avoid the rear losing grip before the front. So I do this on all tyres now. I don't know what the recommendation is for a 4x4 but probably the same?

So, the fronts wear first and their new replacements go on the rear and the rear moved to the front - makes it a bit more complicated to work out how long a tyre lasts but I'll probably just get 20k miles out of a tyre through this wear cycle.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late on this topic, how ever I think the real problem is not so much the speed that the car is driven but how much torque you put down on pull away etc. If you tend to pull away quickly and get up to a safe speed and then ease back on the throttle, this what is doing the damage..

Well my front Conti's have lasted 14.7k and having look through this thread have not seen Goodyear (Goodyear efficient Grip Performance) mentioned even though they score highly for rolling resistance ( B), (A) for wet and 69dB for noise which is generally much better than those mentioned. I will see how they do. I did read up on here, Which magazine and Auto Express.

Price:- £128-£160 each on line delivered and fitted. Local village tyre garage (1/2 mile up the road) £123 fitted.

I have had this Good Year tyre (on admittedly a mondeo) they were great in the wet and exceptionally quiet. 

Edited by jadeypup

This thread is about tyre wear

Please do not spin this off on a fuel eonomy related tangent!  I have noted who started this and shall bear this in mind in case anything else happens.

Posted this on another topic but works here.

My V6 estate is just coming up to 18k miles.

I have about 4.5mm left on them all round. I do rotate wheels every 5,000 miles to keep wear even, plus if manufactures change or drop a tyre (Conti 3 now Conti 5) I don't like to mix & match, so would rather change all 4 at same time.

Currently running Conti 3's but will change at around 3mm and prob go for either Goodyear F1's or Michelin PS 3's.

On my last car an Audi All Road, got 16k miles out of the original Pirellis but over 30k when I fitted the optional Goodyears and stuck  with them on subsequent changes.

Must be down to smooth, economical driving style  :angel:

Michelin primacy all round not new when I bought it done 22k with 4.5 mil left on the fronts 6 mill rears, should easily get to 30K on the fronts before they need changing, had them checked when i had a slow puncture, found out its 32 psi for the fronts and 34 psi for the rears, was running at 32 all round, dont know why but getting slightly better fuel economy now possibly down to it being a lot warmer, or the extra 2 psi in the rears have helped

Michelin primacy all round not new when I bought it done 22k with 4.5 mil left on the fronts 6 mill rears, should easily get to 30K on the fronts before they need changing, had them checked when i had a slow puncture, found out its 32 psi for the fronts and 34 psi for the rears, was running at 32 all round, dont know why but getting slightly better fuel economy now possibly down to it being a lot warmer, or the extra 2 psi in the rears have helped

Please be aware Skippy is known to me on other forums and the general feeling is he can tell a tall one,

A cabby that when all others are struggling can take £600 a day etc :think:

Not a bad guy btw, but a bit of a truth stretcher.

Please be aware Skippy is known to me on other forums and the general feeling is he can tell a tall one,

A cabby that when all others are struggling can take £600 a day etc :think:

Not a bad guy btw, but a bit of a truth stretcher.

I too have also always got 30k from fronts with Michelin Primacy, then the HP's.  It's why I've always gone for Michelins as their high purchase price is offset by the fact they outlast most other tyres IME.  The works Mondeo only had 8 HP tyres (in addition to the 4 it left the factory with) in 120k, and 2 of those were irreparable punctures.

The works car doesnt even get 1/2 that on Conti premium contact 2's.  If Michelin did a self sealing MPV tyre I'd by that.

So it's not a tall tale that Michelins last.