Cambelt or camchain

Cb40

Hi everyone.

SWMBO is thinking about getting a citigo elegance 60ps and keeping it for a long time.

Can anyone tell us if the citigo has a cambelt, and when it would need changing or if it's a camchain and therefore wouldn't need replacing?

Thanks

It's a cambelt, but supposedly a "longlife" type. I haven't checked my own service book, but according to this information from the VW Up forums, it's due for inspection at 160k miles.

I asked about this when recently collecting our new Citigo: four years it is, although our local Dealer includes a waterpump change for £350. We also have a Mk6 Golf 1.6Tdi and I was told the same period for change, so presumably the same across all VAG current model cars.

The Citigo engine has a separate belt drive for the water pump on the opposite side of the engine to the cam belt. So do both need changing at the same time? I was told they have changed the belt design to a curved rather than flat across the width which gives a longer life? but someone may be telling porky's ?

I think the info here is correct - it is a new design of belt and it is 'long life'. The up forum has the 160k info. 4 year intervals was the standard Skoda recommendation before the introduction of these new generation engines and has clearly not changed. Perhaps the dealers are not aware of the new technology? As for camchains - there have been some problems with these even though there is no change interval. The new engine should be a good bet long term.

Thanks everyone.

I thought it might be listed in the service book but I've just checked my Fabia one and can't see the info listed in there for a Fabia, but I know that is 4yrs.

I will ask Skoda UK for a definitive answer to maintain the warranty, as we would buy with the 5yr warranty.

Edited by Cb40

The Citigo engine has a separate belt drive for the water pump on the opposite side of the engine to the cam belt. So do both need changing at the same time? I was told they have changed the belt design to a curved rather than flat across the width which gives a longer life? but someone may be telling porky's ?

The cambelt is changed to stop damage to the engine if it breaks so if the water pump isn't disturbed changing it (unlike most engines) can't see why you would need to change that belt and pump?? That just sounds like a good earner for the garage!

The Citigo engine design is very good if the water pump is the opposite side of the engine to the cambelt. It's often a water pump weep or leak that damages the cambelt. Antifreeze is toxic to cambelts and rots them very quickly causing them to break well before being actually worn out. Water pump leaks and weep are not as uncommon as you may think and can go on for thousands of miles unnoticed. That's when the damage is done. No chance of that in the Citigo then! Great, as my wife and I are currently looking at trading our Fabia in for one very shortly. Yippee!!... Quick engine warm up to look forward to then...rather than driving a couple of mile before getting warm air.

The water pump drive belt should be ok even if the water pump developed a weep as it's well away from the leak area. Certainly a weep should not affect it. Generally, external belts such as alternator/water pump belts normally are changed less frequently than cambelts these days. I don't know what the Citigo renewal for the water pump belt would be. The cars these days that use a separate water pump drive belt normally change it around the 5 year mark. They are easy to check for any wear that is developing.

Well I received a phone call from Skoda UK today where I was informed that they didn't know! LOL!!!

I was told to ask my local dealer as they might know, so I asked them and got told 4yrs/60,000miles. They knew that european cars had different intervals but that didn't matter to UK cars.

Well I received a phone call from Skoda UK today where I was informed that they didn't know! LOL!!!

I was told to ask my local dealer as they might know, so I asked them and got told 4yrs/60,000miles. They knew that european cars had different intervals but that didn't matter to UK cars.

Lol, do VAG make special weaker cambelts just for the UK market then?

Via email, I asked the Skoda salesman "Would you please confirm that the Skoda Citigo (VW up! & Seat Mii, too) has a long-life cam belt that, unlike other Skoda models, doesn’t need to be changed every 4 years. In fact, I’m told that the first cam belt inspection would be at 160,000 miles, believe it or not, according to the service book."

He replied "I have checked with our technician and I have been told the cam belt is a life time guarantee."

Hmmmmm!

Edited by JimmyR

• 8 months later...

Via email, I asked the Skoda salesman "Would you please confirm that the Skoda Citigo (VW up! & Seat Mii, too) has a long-life cam belt that, unlike other Skoda models, doesn’t need to be changed every 4 years. In fact, I’m told that the first cam belt inspection would be at 160,000 miles, believe it or not, according to the service book."

He replied "I have checked with our technician and I have been told the cam belt is a life time guarantee."

Hmmmmm!

I asked on Saturday when we had the 1st year service on the wife's car and I was told 4 years and about 2.6 hours labour to change it!

Hope we know for sure by then?

I asked on Saturday when we had the 1st year service on the wife's car and I was told 4 years and about 2.6 hours labour to change it!

Hope we know for sure by then?

4 years is what Skoda quote across all their models EXCEPT Citigo. Somebody at the dealers hasn't got all the info!

The engine has a "oval" camshaft gear apparently.. in theory this only tensions the belt when it opens valves. (which is pretty cool!)

In the UP service manual the belt is only inspected at 160k and then every 20k after

post-272-0-68616000-1384808881_thumb.png

post-272-0-42887000-1384808882_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

See earlier post on the same subject http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/295006-citigo-cambelttiming-chain/

This is the reply I Got from Skoda UK in regards to both the cam and water pump belts change period

'I am happy to confirm that the information I previously provided is correct, and to confirm, the cambelt replacement intervals
for your vehicle are 160,000 miles'

'Having your cambelt replaced every 4 years is a UK recommendation on most Skoda vehicles, but Skoda UK's Technical Department maintain that every 160,000 miles is the interval for a cambelt replacement on your Citigo based on the engine type and size'