Cambelt or camchain

Cb40

See earlier post on the same subject http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/295006-citigo-cambelttiming-chain/

This is the reply I Got from Skoda UK in regards to both the cam and water pump belts change period

'I am happy to confirm that the information I previously provided is correct, and to confirm, the cambelt replacement intervals

for your vehicle are 160,000 miles'

'Having your cambelt replaced every 4 years is a UK recommendation on most Skoda vehicles, but Skoda UK's Technical Department maintain that every 160,000 miles is the interval for a cambelt replacement on your Citigo based on the engine type and size'

I hope that is right it will save a bit of money!

cheers

See earlier post on the same subject http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/295006-citigo-cambelttiming-chain/

This is the reply I Got from Skoda UK in regards to both the cam and water pump belts change period

'I am happy to confirm that the information I previously provided is correct, and to confirm, the cambelt replacement intervals

for your vehicle are 160,000 miles'

'Having your cambelt replaced every 4 years is a UK recommendation on most Skoda vehicles, but Skoda UK's Technical Department maintain that every 160,000 miles is the interval for a cambelt replacement on your Citigo based on the engine type and size'

I've never owned a car with 160k miles on the clock so going by my history, this should do for me!

John

Imagine a 15 year old Citigo having done 9K a year. The cost of the cam/water pump belt change will be more than the car is worth?

• 1 year later...

Some makes have/had waterpump and cam driven by same belt. Problem being waterpump seizes - shreds belt- wipes out valves. So a typical £35 waterpump costs over £1k in engine repairs. These type engines generally had the timing belt and waterpump changed @ 60-70k miles which makes sense, but seems Skoda and others still see a way of changing the waterpump as part of the belt change, whether it needs it or not. Like mentioned above there won't be many here with same car at 160k to have to worry about it though.

Waterpump is opposite side of the engine than timing belt in these engines. So if water pump fails it should not do any harm for the timing. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Emil

Information from my trusted dealer when checking on his computer in my presence is 160,000 miles or 5 years

5 years to drive 160 000 miles?

Mazda2 (2006) has a longlife cambelt as well and it has to be changed every 100 000 miles or 10 years... which comes sooner...

Actually, Skoda doesn't give any time period for belt change, just 240000km. At least that the case when I check it last time.

Better change it sooner is my humble opinion.

Better change it sooner is my humble opinion.

Yes you right... but not every 5 or 6 years...

New technology is coming this mean longer time between changes... in some casess mean as well camebelt "for life" :D

• 1 year later...

was thinking about the wifes Citigo but after reading this I won't bother her Citigo is 4 years old in Jan 2017 and done 17,000 and I am sure they will ask me to change the cam belt  but it will be a big NO

We got it new a 60 elegance with sunroof to keep so when our son is 17 in 7 years time he can have it for his first car.

Although all he says is he wants a Subaru lol .....too much time on xbox 

Edited by Tony Ramsdale

Typical gravey train response whenever you ask VAG about cambelts fleece the UK they will pay. Yes we all know if it breaks it lots of £ but the belt on the 1.6tdi in my mates Golf says in the service book 120000miles or 10years ring the dealer nope 4years sir and bring in a wad of cash

I've never come across any documentation stating that VW AG recommends the camshaft drive belt be changed at 10 years. It's been 5 year intervals for a long time (since about 2008) and the 1.6 CR wasn't even available at that time. The books are subject to change at any time and the info does indeed change frequently.

I think I posted somewhere what I was told by my local dealer on when it's due a change, it's when I had to call them about the intervals for the belts as my auxiliary is slipping, but haven't had a chance to get under the car to see if it's a belt or a pulley etc

• 3 weeks later...

My dealer says 5 years OR 160k miles which ever is sooner....it is usually closer to 60k miles or 5 years on other cars I have had. So 160k is a massive improvement, even if so few of us may not get our Citigo's anywhere near that mileage in the cars lifetime.

SWMBO's is 4 years old and is only just over 10k miles so the cambelt change is due next year :(

• 2 years later...

I realise this is a long-time thread but just thought I'd post what Skoda said to me in e-mail recently on the matter of Citigo cambelts.  WE have a Citigo 60 ASG just coming up to 4 years old and almost 60k miles.

Not really helpful but if the cambelt is a long life item, that would tend to fit.

John

"Thank you for your recent contact regarding the cambelt. Please accept my apologies in the delay with our response.

I have looked into your cambelt query and there is no ŠKODA recommended interval, so I would recommend the UK interval which is every five years.

I hope this information proves useful and should you require any further assistance or have any further queries, please do not hesitate to come back through to us using any of the details below. For more immediate assistance, I would recommend that you use the Live Chat function here: www.skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us, or our Social Media channels.

Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK".

We have the wife's 2013 citigo 60 asg booked in for cambelt replacement on the information gathered from our local Skoda service agent every 5yrs or 120000 - 160k

Hers has done a little over 85k now and I had a peek at the belt and it looked Very good condition, having said that it has gone a golden brown colour which apparently this is how they go over time ,all in price is £359 but as the Mrs only commutes with it I thought we'd better get it done for piece of mind.

Volkswagen (the designer and manufacturer) recommends a belt inspection at 160k miles and replace if worn. 

The belt is kevlar reinforced to aid long life and the gear teeth are shaped to take advantage of this.

Anybody know of belt failure on this engine?

Snaefell.

This file from the VW Up! owners site regarding cambelt servicing.

240k km (149k miles) and no specified time limit.

All information from the VW Up workshop manual.

cambelt.jpg

Edited by Snaefell

On 19/11/2013 at 14:15, Damo said:

If it's not... it will cost a lot lol

Actual not. Because this engine is made in such way that valves and pistons doesn't hit each other if the belt breaks. Means if it happens the task is just to mount a new belt and tensioner. Really a low risk engine.   

• 2 weeks later...

Please excuse me if I am wrong in thinking that the Citygo has the same engine as the Seat Mii but after determined escalation of complaints I have obtained information from "Executive Office, SEAT UK" about the cambelt change interval for "every UK Seat Mii sold to date" that may be relevant to the Citygo. Firstly SEAT UK recommends changing the Mii cambelt every five years. Secondly there is no factory recommended mileage change interval for the Mii cambelt - despite three main dealers telling me different mileage intervals. One of the main dealers even tried to persuade me to get the water pump changed at the same time despite offering no cost saving or other valid reason for doing so since the water pump is on the opposite end of the engine to the cambelt.