2013 General F1 Discussion thread . . . .

It is intersting to see how DiResta was able to make the tyres last - that said there is 1 simple answer. Don't go fast. While his lap times were impressive for the amount of time on the tyres they were still way down on the lead. If he had qualified on the top it doesn't automatically mean he could go fast on them too.

Mercedes obviously still have tyres issues. I think they are going to really struggle at Silverstone. Fingers crossed its not another race where Vettel just runs away with it. The more he does it the more people switch off. As for McLaren, Hamilton must be laughing all the way to the bank. I think the current situation highlights the problem with the drivers. When Hamilton was there and the car was dire he was still able to drive it as hard as possible. Now with Button as usual when the cars not right he just can't complete.

Driver of the day - Wee Paul for sure. Alonso runner-up.

Vermillion Male Bovine clearly demonstrating just how unpopular they're making themselves by whinging and politicing whenever they're not winning.

Agreed that Paul did a great drive, Alonso showed out his skill again.

Condolences to the family of marshall who died during the GP. The accident happened while Esteban Gutierrez's stricken Sauber was being removed from the Montreal circuit, the marshall stumbled while attempting to pick up his radio as others used a mobile crane to lift Gutierrez's car and return it to the pits.

Very tragic.

• Like 2

Someone should ask if Red Bull had a secret test too. When Vettel was questioned about what he thought of these tyres now he'd won he backtracked and said it was about the "safety" of the tyre. Can't stand him or Horner or anything Red Bull.

• Like 1

....... Can't stand him or Horner or anything Red Bull.

Why, because he/they keep winning? Or is there another underlying reason perhaps?

A lot of people had a similar loathing for Schumacher and Ferrari when they were also winning everything in sight. I never really understood why.

That is racing. If you dont want to be first, better stop.

And if you are succesfull, there will always be a lot of comments.

Not easy to stay strong and keep on winning.

Look what red bull made out of a team that wasnt this capable, look what they made of the Renault engines. Used to be the weakest of all engines.

And being three times world champion in a row, didnt come from doing nothing.

Sympathic or not, you wont get near this if you are cute and friendly :giggle:

That is racing. If you dont want to be first, better stop.

And if you are succesfull, there will always be a lot of comments.

Not easy to stay strong and keep on winning.

Look what red bull made out of a team that wasnt this capable, look what they made of the Renault engines. Used to be the weakest of all engines.

And being three times world champion in a row, didnt come from doing nothing.

Sympathic or not, you wont get near this if you are cute and friendly :giggle:

That is true of course. The difference however is all in HOW do go about it, how do you get there. Some people do it in style (Alonso, Button) and some with ruthless, selfish and devoit of any class way (Schumacher, Vettel). Nobody is denying the ability etc, it's just not pretty and this is why Vettle got boo'ed off...

• Like 1

Not only that you have them mistreating Webber but never admitting it, back tracking on tyres, generally being arrogant about what they do. When Mateschitz came out and spoke out about the tyres not being good enough that was the last straw. He's a PR man pedalling his sugary drink. He was only moaning because his ad wasn't front and centre. The man knows nothing about F1 and how it all works. And don't get me started on Helmut Marko. The one man who has potentially ended Alguersuari's F1 career just because he answered back. He's only 23!

• Like 2

That is true of course. The difference however is all in HOW do go about it, how do you get there. Some people do it in style (Alonso, Button) and some with ruthless, selfish and devoit of any class way (Schumacher, Vettel). Nobody is denying the ability etc, it's just not pretty and this is why Vettle got boo'ed off...

Quite. At least Lewis beat him around a dry Top Gear track though!

That is how one sees it personally.

Alonso in style? :rofl:

Dont remember his holding Hamilton up, so that Lewis couldnt get out in time anymore to do another (last) timed lap?

If someone is pretty selfish and ruthless, you can count Alonso too.

Button is a true gentleman, but what did he win with that?

Button won with the best car and newest tech. Mid season he started to struggle when others were catching up. He had a superb drive a Brazil to nail it. Button is another argument entirely. Him being so fussy over the years regarding car setup has meant lots of struggling. It's probably why McLaren are all over the place now and why Merc still have problems. There's still some Button DNA left behind from the Brawn days. He's had some great drives like Canada but he's not been outstanding since he won his title. 2014 will be good for lots of teams to have a fresh start.

Can't wait for 2104 and blown powerpalnts! I am not saying JB is "The Daddy" but he certainly has the style :). I always thought the top tier F1 drivers could take balancing bike to 100mph through sheer ability :D.

It's like people saying vRS MK2 has too much body roll and crap handling. When I took to a track day I simply worked with it and did not have a single moment on the track despite modified cars going off like skittles around me :). It goes to tell how much focus Hamilton lost after his interview admission that he's not able to exert enough pressure on the brake pedal - spend more time pumping iron boy instead of laying down the beats I say!

I found R-Type Racing PC game/simulator increadible in the way car settings have influence on the on screen car behaviour, one can learn plenty from that ;). Perhaps JB should spend more time at their simulator?

• Like 1

Not only that you have them mistreating Webber but never admitting it, back tracking on tyres, generally being arrogant about what they do. When Mateschitz came out and spoke out about the tyres not being good enough that was the last straw. He's a PR man pedalling his sugary drink. He was only moaning because his ad wasn't front and centre. The man knows nothing about F1 and how it all works. And don't get me started on Helmut Marko. The one man who has potentially ended Alguersuari's F1 career just because he answered back. He's only 23!

THIS!!

There is a difference between Ferrari, who've been at the core of the sport since 1950, or even Williams who've been there since the 1970s, and the marketting arm of a drinks company who've only been there for 6 years.

If you don't get the point, does anyone actually care about "Toro Rosso"? People (self included) used to actively support Minardi, who viewed finishing in the points as a cause for jubilation.

Edited by KenONeill
  • Like 1

IMO style went out of the window when the likes of Alain Prost retired, and as for German tenacity and ruthlessness, well, that's in their culture, they cant help it, it's a way of life for them. You just need to look at sports other than racing they're good at, tennis and football being excellent examples. Vorsprung Durch Technik with a dose of steely grit seems to be the winning formula!

THIS!!

There is a difference between Ferrari, who've been at the core of the sport since 1950, or even Williams who've been there since the 1970s, and the marketting arm of a drinks company who've only been there for 6 years.

If you don't get the point, does anyone actually care about "Toro Rosso"? People (self included) used to actively support Minardi, who viewed finishing in the points as a cause for jubilation.

Old Ezno called them "The Garragistes" :giggle: - no heritage, no class, no manners. These days all that is heavily coated with :$$$:

IMO style went out of the window when the likes of Alain Prost retired, and as for German tenacity and ruthlessness, well, that's in their culture, they cant help it, it's a way of life for them. You just need to look at sports other than racing they're good at, tennis and football being excellent examples. Vorsprung Durch Technik with a dose of steely grit seems to be the winning formula!

I think it is true for everything you do. Talent is 10% without which true greatness cannot be achieved but the remaining 90% comprises insanely hard work, technology and money...

It cracked me up when I saw how good Takuma Sato is doing in Nascar having been kicked out of F1. He's second in the Championship and earns more than he ever did in F1 :D.

Then you look at Ralph Schumacher or H. P. Montoya and .... nothing. I can't wait to see how Rubinho is going to fare in Brazillian Supercars (or whatever the serie's name is) this season.

Ok, "Quote" has been broken again so @jabozuma:-

1) Enzo's "Garageiste" comment refered to anyone who didn't have their own engine foundry.

2) Tacu's in Indycar racing, not NASCAR!

3) Ralf did OK if not great in DTM for a while.

4) Montoya was in NASCAR for several years, and pretty much anyone who drives there makes 7 figures between sponsorships and merchandising.

Can't stand him or Horner or anything Red Bull.

Just going to have to put up with him for a bit longer Martyn, he has signed a contract extension to end of 2015 season.

:blink: