Fabia Monte Carlo vs Fabia vRS?

OK, unbiased view here form a person who currently has a Vrs but has also owned two other Fabia's namely a VRS MK1 and a Monte (86bhp).

So for the Monte, one cracking car with no issues whatsoever.

Ride was very good as well as the handling.

Fuel consumption was excellent and I could easily see 50mpg on long runs.

Build quality was very good in fact not one rattle, which was a great since my MK1 had some issues.

Everyone who saw the Monte loved it. A brilliant car, but...... I also purchased the car because i could not afford a Vrs. When one came available (3 month demonstrator) for only a fiver a more a month something I could not resist.

The Vrs has a couple of issues, some good, some not so.

The good, the DSG box, the engine and the ability to shock some people with the performance.

Economy wise seeing 37 mpg which is ok but is sure to improve with increased mileage.

The not so good, the ride which is hard but in an unforgiving way (but i expected that in a hot hatch- not as bad as a Mini Cooper S which was terrible), though the roads around Liverpool are pretty bad. Build quality- there are some creaks and rattles.

There are some Vr's (MK2) with oil issues which is well documented, however, it's only some. Mine has used 1 litre in 1000 miles, will monitor but I don't think its that bad.

Overall I'm pleased with the Vrs, in fact for the price its a brilliant car. A car that you can put in D and potter or have a play with the paddles and have some fun!

So it boils down to what you prefer either a manual or a DSG Box, relatively good performance from a Monte, or the full on hit from the Vrs.

Either the 86 or 105 bhp Monte are brilliant as well as the 1.6 tdi, (depending on your mileage and the type of driving you do).

Test drive all of them, only you can decide whats best for your needs.

No one NEEDS a VRS, so it's more of a question of what you want, test drive both and follow your heart. The 1.6 Tdi is a nice engine and I'm sure it has decent remapping potential, but it won't be a good choice if your diving doesn't suit a car with a DPF

The Monte Carlo is basically the same car and the same engines as a Fabia in SE trim but with the black body trim, darkened headlights, different 'Monte carlo' interior/seats, 17inch wheels and the lower ride height that is available on the normal fabia. You only buy the monte for the styling, otherwise it's essentially the same car underneath as a normal fabia. VRS is a hot hatch but only comes in one engine and dsg box.

Edited by fabia55

After getting figures on a Mk1 Fab vRS '07 plate today I've decided I'm just gonna wait til next year and buy either new or 6-12 months old Monte. Thanks for the info everyone. Now I just need to get this house deposit paid as sooner that's done sooner I can get my Monte ;)

My vRS is quite heavy in traffic but then it really is heavy traffic. 35 mins to do 7 miles. Get between 26-32mpg depending if I'm lucky with lights or not. On a run at normal motorway speeds I get around 34mpg but taking it easy I've seen 45mpg but I don' have time for that. Life is too short. That's why coming home tonight to not miss Doctor Who I averaged 16mpg. I may have to apply some man-maths soon to fix this.

I'd get a diesel Monte and have it remapped to the 130-odd bhp.

Mainly because if it's an only car you've got looks, ample performance, fun (manual), sensible running costs and reliability in one package.

• Like 2

After getting figures on a Mk1 Fab vRS '07 plate today I've decided I'm just gonna wait til next year and buy either new or 6-12 months old Monte. Thanks for the info everyone. Now I just need to get this house deposit paid as sooner that's done sooner I can get my Monte ;)

It wasn't a black 07 plate at a dealership in Warrington was it..... if so it's my old car and it's a beaut! Actually miss it.... :-s

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

House prices may fall 10 or 20 % in real terms over the next 3 or 4 years as interest rates return to norm, depends where you buy and what, might be a bad investment compared to renting or even buying a second hand car. True word above is the mark 2 Fabia VRS is a luxury ie 45 p a mile where the lower powered Monte probably can do it for 35-40 p a mile, pays your money.

I'd get a diesel Monte and have it remapped to the 130-odd bhp.

Mainly because if it's an only car you've got looks, ample performance, fun (manual), sensible running costs and reliability in one package.

I'd go along with that :)

House prices may fall 10 or 20 % in real terms over the next 3 or 4 years as interest rates return to norm, depends where you buy and what, might be a bad investment compared to renting or even buying a second hand car.

I rent the house we are in currently and my landlady is putting it up for sale in January so we're buying it. Besides renting is dead money and the house we're in will be a great project :)

It wasn't a black 07 plate at a dealership in Warrington was it..... if so it's my old car and it's a beaut! Actually miss it.... :-s

Nah it was a black '07 in Grimsby :) tbh I think it was a bit over priced too

I bought the 105 Monte, I did drive that and the VRS I was taken with the power of the VRS but the looks of the Monte won hands down, Now if you could get a VRS with the Monte kit! that's a different story but like a lots of posters have said try them both (I did mine back to back and the salesman thought I was away with the fairies when I chose the Monte!) but after all the VRS kinda looks like every other Fabia (nothing special) I like to be seen so maybe that's why I got the Monte.

I bought the 105 Monte, I did drive that and the VRS I was taken with the power of the VRS but the looks of the Monte won hands down, Now if you could get a VRS with the Monte kit! that's a different story but like a lots of posters have said try them both (I did mine back to back and the salesman thought I was away with the fairies when I chose the Monte!) but after all the VRS kinda looks like every other Fabia (nothing special) I like to be seen so maybe that's why I got the Monte.

Have to diagree slightly.

The Monte fills the gap for people for people who don't want a boggo Fabia but cannot afford a VRS. Small capacity cheap to run cars that have sporty looks.

There is a special edition Vauxhall corsa that is very popular round my way that has the vxr body kit and big wheels but underneath is just an eco flex model with a 3 cyl diesel engine!! All show and no go.

I personally think the VRS (in certain colour schemes..... like mine! ;-p ) looks wayyy better than the Monte's.

But that is just my two pence

• Like 1

Oh and by "cant afford a VRS" I don't mean it in a snobby way, I mean it in a "HOW MUCH ON 98RON FUEL? FORGET THAT" kind of way! :-p

I considerd the Monte, but going from a mapped MK1, I couldn't bear a downgrade in performance I guess.

Still lovely little cars and turn my head as they drive past! :wub:

I could have got the VRS but much preferred the looks of the Monte (looking to get a replacement for the wife's Roomster and seriously thinking abut a VRS estate, only if I can get the dealer to fit the Monte body kit or the Roomster Noire if they ever make it) moneys never an issue when buying and running the cars, I just wanted something different (my ideal colour scheme would have been the Rallye green metallic on my Monte)

All show and no go, that's the problem with the Monte.

You said in the other thread, if your reaching the limits of the brakes on the road then your driving like a tit.

In that context, why wouldnt a Monte be sufficient for road use. Why do you require the extra 75Hp of the vRS if 60% of the roads in the Uk are below 40mph speed limits?

You said in the other thread, if your reaching the limits of the brakes on the road then your driving like a tit.

In that context, why wouldnt a Monte be sufficient for road use. Why do you require the extra 75Hp of the vRS if 60% of the roads in the Uk are below 40mph speed limits?

I don't require the extra 75bhp, but its nice to have.

Looks are of course very subjective but I've never seen a monte which I thought was better looking than my vRS. No LEDs, no exhaust tailpipes, black plasticky trim around the wheel arch......fail.

• Like 1

I don't require the extra 75bhp, but its nice to have.

Why? Whats more important, being able to get upto 70mph quicker, or being able to brake from 70mph faster and avoid an accident? Would brakes that could potentially save yours or anothers life be a much better "nice to have"?