'Handle' in armrest

awfabia

In the armrest/jumbo box on a Yeti 2013 Elegance is a black handle about 1 inch square which slides up and down. It's right next to the 'Aux in' socket for MP3 player input. Any idea what it's for?

If I have understood your description I think it is a vent to control the airflow into the storage area so it may, for example, keep chocolate from melting

I only said its in the manual because I downloaded the thing and read it before I got my Yeti, in a very anorakian manner. Sorry if my above post sounded sanctimonious.

I only said its in the manual because I downloaded the thing and read it before I got my Yeti, in a very anorakian manner. Sorry if my above post sounded sanctimonious.

Don't worry I'm exactly the same, I haven't even took delivery of my Yeti yet and I've read the manual twice already, haha.

It is to make it like a cool box when the air con is running and there is the same thing in the glovebox aswell!

Not very!

It doesn't seem to push much air backwards unless the vents are set to blow at faces.

Then it does a bit, but you'll never get a cold can if come out if it (unless it was cold when it went in).

I hav'nt used them so can't comment, Maybe a bit gimmicky but may come in useful one day.

A cool box is the tool for the job and I am considering a 12V model.

PS, Marie I like your pictures on your website :clap:

Remember you "guys" that the power sockets both in the front and the boot are live all the time and you will soon drain your batteries if you leave a 12v cool box connected - easily done!

• Like 2

Remember you "guys" that the power sockets both in the front and the boot are live all the time

Just wondering if you statement is correct, I was led to believe that the sockets turned them selves off after a period of time once the key had been removed to save the battery from draining

I may be wrong though

Thanks Rick.

I'm thinking of getting a 12v and mains coolbox.

Certainly, if you're going to get an electric coolbox, you definitely need one that either plugs into the mains so that you can get it down to temperature before you travel, or you need a 240v to 12v adapter to do the same thing.

Remember you "guys" that the power sockets both in the front and the boot are live all the time and you will soon drain your batteries if you leave a 12v cool box connected - easily done!

Too true!

I've certainly been the victim of a flat battery due to leaving one plugged in on a camping trip.

My personal view is that electric coolboxes have a very limited market. Maybe a 1,000 mile trip door to door (my house to the south of France, for example) or more mean they begin to make sense for some people, but my own electric coolbox has become a museum piece. If you can get them cold enough to start with and have a very long trip and you are careful not to leave your car parked for too long in the sun, they may work - possibly???

For most people, a really good traditional coolbox may be better (with sufficient ice packs). This one is superb, but too big for most needs - I wish you could get one as good, but a bit smaller: http://www.amazon.co...stp_s2_edpp_url

Edited by Skoda Al Coda
  • Like 1

I have a Halfords 12v coolbox; it came with a mains-to-cigarette lighter adaptor, so you can power it out of the car (useful if you're travelling and have stopped in a hotel room with no fridge). But, being a peltier effect box, it not only cools but heats too. We have mostly used it for cooling, carrying dairy stuff and baby milk/food etc but on holiday once in a cottage a fair distance from the nearest chippie, the heating option kept the fish and chips nice and hot on the way home!

• Like 2

I occasionally use a camping butane gas fridge which has mains and 12v inputs as well.

Tried the electric only cool boxes but wasn't up to the job, and it was very noisy. This is great, though it is massive for what it will hold. But that is because it is a fridge with all the insulation.

As with all of these, you do need to get it to temperature first.

This biggest downsides: the cost- it was about £150 at the time, and its size.

A TapaTalk enabled phone was used to write this...

Just wondering if you statement is correct, I was led to believe that the sockets turned them selves off after a period of time once the key had been removed to save the battery from draining

I may be wrong though

I can't comment about the rear socket but I can confirm that the front one stays live and I had a flat battery to prove it. :devil:

Fred

I might just buy this yeti coolbox, because it would match my white monster very well :rock:

http://www.amazon.co...rds=yeti cooler

Wow that's cool (pun intended)

You've just answered my prayers for a good cool box of the correct size - expensive but I would get a lot of use out of it.

(I promise not to buy the only white one in stock though :hi: )

• Like 1