I wish I hadnt traded you In GF11 UMX

AshP

I like the thump of an engine with plenty of torque.

In more sensible cars that only comes with a diesel IMO.

Smaller capacity petrols just don't feel quick, even if they are.

Give me fun over speed. (but preferably both :giggle: )

If I could only have one car, it'd be a diesel.

And have a manual gearbox.

Yep, torque and more torque, punch, economy, and trouble-free mega mileages. What's not to like? Alright, taxi clatter and expensive cam belt changes perhaps.

Very narrow ( compared to twincharger's) power band comes to mind

Narrow maybe, but plenty wide enough for sensible road driving (I don't know anyone with one of those runway length, runway smooth private roads)

That's the nice thing about modern turbo petrol motors. They are almost as good as diesels for surfing the low and mid range torque but have the added advantage of packing a punch at the top end.

At the end of the day you tend to adapt to whatever it is you are driving, different styles for petrol and diesel. Personally I enjoy planting the foot and feeling the power surge in as the revs build and build. More revs = more fun. If I got in a diesel now having not driven one for awhile I think I'd be left feeling short changed as the power died just as the revs got to the point I would be expecting some action.

I'm not completely anti-diesel though, I had a Mk 1 vRS for several years and loved it.

I have an oil chugger (SWMBO drives 520d barge) and the main difference is that I have full chat at any rev at all times available in vRS where Beemer has to be near it sweet spot or is not going anywhere in a hurry. Shirt rev range is a pain but since the car behaves like an oil tanker you drive like one-plan week in advance :D

True enough about the narrow sweet spot of a TDi. But most roads/driving situations don't allow you to get to the point where the engine gets breathless anyway.

TBH I probably won't get another diesel - the latest designs are more complicated and probably more burstable (also having those bothersome DPFs), plus you need to be doing some pretty serious mileages to offset the higher purchase price and fuel cost. I'll keep running the 1.9 PD for as long as practicable, hopefully getting a starship mileage out of it. For driving fun i've got a naturally aspirated 100 hp little Fiat that responds instantaneously to throttle, loves to be revved and sounds great!

• Like 1

Ive made the situation even worse. Had the opportunity over the weekend to have a little blast in a mates Abarth 500 essesse, not as fast as the old furby but god its got me REAAAALLLY wanting a petrol back! I may have to bite the bullet soon and chuck the diesel in for something! take the mpg hit as Im bound to drive it like I stole it!

• Like 1

Ive made the situation even worse. Had the opportunity over the weekend to have a little blast in a mates Abarth 500 essesse, not as fast as the old furby but god its got me REAAAALLLY wanting a petrol back! I may have to bite the bullet soon and chuck the diesel in for something! take the mpg hit as Im bound to drive it like I stole it!

You gotta love Fiat's little 500 - bags of style and plenty of substance to boot. My Sport makes me grin every time I get into it! I'm tempted by the Abarth I must say, but the quickest ones with the best set ups are getting on for silly money; over 20 k for a 595 Competizione and nearer 30 grand for the 180 mph 695 Competizione !! Mind you a decent used Abarth (non-Essesse) 500 can be had for about 7 grand now, a very affordable slice of driving fun.

Edited by MarginWalker
  • Like 1

I'd rather have a slow petrol than a quick diesel - I like the 6000rpm rev range (not the 1500rpm on seemingly on modern diesels). I suspect it might be different if its plugged into an 8 speed autobox or possibly even a 7 speed at a push - but there's too much difference between the sweet spot and the dead spot for my liking. Like a car with a misfire that only clears with a few revs..then comes back again!

And for the economy minded, reported a happy 42mpg yesterday in a single run (turned the engine off only 5 times for fuel, train and coffee) over 582 miles from Stoke on Trent to South West Germany (including Autobahn :D)

Edited by philhoward

I'd rather have a slow petrol than a quick diesel

I enjoyed my Mk1 vRS as it was relatively cheap performance for a 20 year old and affordable to run and insure. When I got older and managed to get a 30mins unaccompanied test drive of a Clio Sport it was then I saw what I was missing. Then my parents sold the Octy and got a Swift. Only a 1.5 with 101bhp but feels fantastic to drive and doesn't mind you kicking it head it either and always wants more. Never had brake fade with it either and I've really pushed it. No doubt the Mk1 vRS would have been quicker and was good for overtaking, but on a B road I wouldn't like to say. The Swift Sport my brother has is a revelation. It may be slightly behind on a straight but then would come the corner and the Sport would be gone. Feels a lot faster than it is too.

You gotta love Fiat's little 500 - bags of style and plenty of substance to boot. My Sport makes me grin every time I get into it! I'm tempted by the Abarth I must say, but the quickest ones with the best set ups are getting on for silly money; over 20 k for a 595 Competizione and nearer 30 grand for the 180 mph 695 Competizione !! Mind you a decent used Abarth (non-Essesse) 500 can be had for about 7 grand now, a very affordable slice of driving fun.

I'm loving the Abarth 500 at the mo. Handling and fun factor well above the furby. Get one - you know it makes sense! ;-)

I'm loving the Abarth 500 at the mo. Handling and fun factor well above the furby. Get one - you know it makes sense! ;-)

Very tempted :evil: . The normally aspirated 1.4 will have to keep me happy for while yet though - only had it 6 months! Next one could well be an Abarth, as I don't see me wanting any other small car now.

• Like 1

funny enough I had contact from the new owner through here. wont out him in case he doesnt want to be named but its nice to hear from them. now i need to persuade him to sell it to me!! mwaaaahahahah (evil laugh mode off)

Unless someone can prove me wrong I would state that the number of cam chains that break on any car are a minute fraction of cam belt failures.

Chain driven camshafts are old and proven technology.I tend to think that rubber belts were introduced for cheapness and to enhance servicing income.

I only stay with Skodas because of the small plastic parking ticket holder on the windscreen :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stupid thing is that is the 1 item i really missed when i had the Fiat :happy:

• Like 3

I've seen twinchargers cam running gear as maintenance free, "for the life of the vehicle" or something like that

Self changing oil and an engine that's lucky to last 3 years no wonder they dont need servicing ;)

• Like 1

I only stay with Skodas because of the small plastic parking ticket holder on the windscreen :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stupid thing is that is the 1 item i really missed when i had the Fiat :happy:

Damned handy when using the Eurotunnel as the "hangers" fall off the mirror about 20 seconds after hanging them up.

Likewise, I would really miss it - something small and daft that really does make a difference.

I feel i need to stick up for my humble 1.6CR Elegance ... in beige ! Its very comfy... great on fuel and has nice plastics !!! Ok, thats about all i can say in its favour, but i have my fun on the road in different ways.... my Fireblade 954.

After turning up to my new job in my beige ' taxi' for months over winter, i rolled up on my Fireblade last week and the team thought we were having a Motogp day ! Shock does not even come close, when your opinion of someone is formed it can take a lot to change it, good fun though..... and It does sound very nice :giggle:

Edited by Hudson1
  • Like 1