fuel tank size

• 4 months later...

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but I didnt want to start another thread.

My 50L fuel tank, so far, 4 fills from at the point of the reserve light being on. So far I have only managed 31.62L, 40.19L, 35.56L and 38.57L

I would love to be able to get more in than this, the range would be far better between fills. My old fabia had a lever at the fill neck where I could vent air, I cant see anything on the Octy like that though.

I got 50,64l in my tank when I did the first fill-up. So the tank must be larger than 50l. :)

how many kilometres have you performed with the first tank?

how many kilometres have you performed with the first tank?

I only got it yesterday, so I'm still on the first tank full. It will take a while considering my mileage is quite low.

Small tanks are used for several reasons.

i). They allow for larger interior space and more flexibility for suspension and floorplan arrangements.

ii). They reduce the weight of the vehicle. In addition to heavier tank weight, each litre of fuel weigh's about 0.75Kg. 10 litres will weigh 7.5Kg, added to ~5Kg for a 20% bigger tank equals roughly 12.5Kg. This is approximately 1% of the vehicles weight.

iii). Fuel economy measured on a full tank will be ~1% worse. This may only equal ~0.5mpg but it may be the difference between higher or lower tax bands.

iv). Removing unnecessary weight decreases breaking distances and improves handling, potentially reducing (albeit very slightly) the chance of an accident.

v). Smaller tanks are potentially less likely to rupture in the event of an accident, and will on average contain less fuel if they do so. They can also be placed further away from impact/crumple zones.

vi). Smaller tanks probably cost slightly less to manufacture and transport.

vii). Skoda's appear much cheaper to fill up when compared to cars with larger tanks. Many people do not count mpg but most take note of the price when paying for fuel. It's a nice placebo.

viii). As cars become more efficient larger tanks become less necessary.

ix). Those who know they have a small tank may be likely to drive more efficiently, thus saving the planet and making Skoda's appear even more efficient than they really are.

x). It knocks a tenth of a second off of the 0-62mph time. 6.9 or 7.9secs feels so much faster than 7 or 8 secs.

Some of the reason above are very true, others only slightly so. There are however far fewer reasons having larger tanks.

i). Fill up less often, saving 5mins or so per week.

ii). errr, uhmmm???

Edited by Orville

I got 50,64l in my tank when I did the first fill-up. So the tank must be larger than 50l. :)

Or the filling station pump was inaccurate - you put 49 litres in and paid for 50.64!

They're supposed to be calibrated annually but..........

The tank does seem tiny for the size of the car.

I've also noticed (over 5 fill ups) that the car does roughly 7mpg less on Shell Fuelsave on my commute than other fuels.

Andy

Small tanks are used for several reasons.

i). They allow for larger interior space and more flexibility for suspension and floorplan arrangements.

ii). They reduce the weight of the vehicle. In addition to heavier tank weight, each litre of fuel weigh's about 0.75Kg. 10 litres will weigh 7.5Kg, added to ~5Kg for a 20% bigger tank equals roughly 12.5Kg. This is approximately 1% of the vehicles weight.

iii). Fuel economy measured on a full tank will be ~1% worse. This may only equal ~0.5mpg but it may be the difference between higher or lower tax bands.

iv). Removing unnecessary weight decreases breaking distances and improves handling, potentially reducing (albeit very slightly) the chance of an accident.

v). Smaller tanks are potentially less likely to rupture in the event of an accident, and will on average contain less fuel if they do so. They can also be placed further away from impact/crumple zones.

vi). Smaller tanks probably cost slightly less to manufacture and transport.

vii). Skoda's appear much cheaper to fill up when compared to cars with larger tanks. Many people do not count mpg but most take note of the price when paying for fuel. It's a nice placebo.

viii). As cars become more efficient larger tanks become less necessary.

ix). Those who know they have a small tank may be likely to drive more efficiently, thus saving the planet and making Skoda's appear even more efficient than they really are.

x). It knocks a tenth of a second off of the 0-62mph time. 6.9 or 7.9secs feels so much faster than 7 or 8 secs.

Some of the reason above are very true, others only slightly so. There are however far fewer reasons having larger tanks.

i). Fill up less often, saving 5mins or so per week.

ii). errr, uhmmm???

Thanks, but I, think you missed the point. We understand why it has a 50l tank, its just slightly strange that I can only get 40l in it at empty.

My old fabia had a 45l tank and I got 48.2l in once, I had been playing fuel light bingo for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks, but I, think you missed the point. We understand why it has a 50l tank, its just slightly strange that I can only get 40l in it at empty.

My old fabia had a 45l tank and I got 48.2l in once, I had been playing fuel light bingo for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Was it empty? Did you have to push it to petrol station?

Record for my current car is 63.5 ish. And car nearly stalled turning into the station ;)

The tank is rated at 64L. I used to do 700km on a tank, these days I'm driving inside the city a lot more though.

The tank does seem tiny for the size of the car.

I've also noticed (over 5 fill ups) that the car does roughly 7mpg less on Shell Fuelsave on my commute than other fuels.

Andy

interesting - I only use Fuelsave and am a little disappointed with 58mpg - which other fuel is better?