Daytime running lights on or off

TR7Driver

I was in a 3 year old Audi of some sort the other day (may have been an A4), the DRLs had an on position on the main lighting switch which meant that they could be turned on or off just like any other light on the car.

I'm on the on camp, see and be seen!

Totally agree.

Do you find some are brighter than others and dazzle more than others? (BMW X5's and newer Audi's for example)

I was in a 3 year old Audi of some sort the other day (may have been an A4), the DRLs had an on position on the main lighting switch which meant that they could be turned on or off just like any other light on the car.

Just a question as I'm curious: could they actually be turned off leaving no lights on at all?

Or is it a DRL only position? (You wouldn't actually need DRL's on if the other lights were on)

DRL's go off when your other lights are turned on.

That logical, but my question was whether the main switch could also turn off the DRL's do no lights were on.

I had a brand new VW Polo for a week recently and although DRL's were ON by by default, it was certainly possible to permanently switch them off (combination of right stalk movements).

I'm not aware of legislation stating they must be used, only that they must be fitted to new cars sold after 2011.

Motorcyclists rely on being conspicuously different on the road and achieve this by generally running with headlights on, regardless of it being night or daytime. If everyone runs with some form of front lighting permanently on, this conspicuous difference is lost.

A similar effect is also evident with the capacity of pedestrians spotting cars approaching them. Evidence from early adopter countries suggest DRL use may have actually increased the "pedestrian vs motor vehicle" type of accident.

I respect everyone's right to run with DRL's on or off - why else would Skoda have provided the option??

I remember on our Volvo 850 in 1995 already we had DRLs. A very important safety feature. As we get older our vision gets poorer, and I sometimes almost miss seeing grey or green cars under certain light or weather conditions. DRLs can be an important aid to seeing other vehicles in the day. I think it was already in Denmark that they found there were 14% fewer accidents after the introduction of them. If they are correctly set they should not be blinding. There are so many irritations in town life apart from that, for instance the sirens used by emergency services these days. What foul noises they use instead of bells and old fashined sirens! How distracting, annoying and even frightening they can be. Bright car headlights are nothing like as bad. I find it amazing when there are so many real problems in society today, that people waste their time and energy complaining about car headlights.

• Like 2

After 16 years of Volvos which had DRLs which variously could be turned off by switch, download from Sweden or not at all, I have to say I have made fewer emergency stops after someone pulls out infront of me with them off than switched on.

I understand in WW2 aircraft switched the landing lights on when attacking submarines and ground targets as it disoriantated the target. 

Motorcycles and headlights etc I am in the same mind I dont use my headlight while riding my motorbike.

With regard to the post from Kingsley above having been in emergency vehicles with every light and siren on and drivers not seeing or reacting to them then then I doubt DRLs make any contribution to road safety

Edited by New2Yetidom

Anyone who doesn't use an headlight on full beam on a motorbike or scooter in broad daylight must have a deathwish.....and yes that's coming from a biker and motorist..... :think:

• Like 1

Anyone who doesn't use an headlight on full beam on a motorbike or scooter in broad daylight must have a deathwish.....and yes that's coming from a biker and motorist..... :think:

Do you mean on dipped beam? Anyone using a "full" (main) beam permanently is irritating and potentially dazzling other road users.

PS I always ride with dipped beam on, and many new bikes now give you no other option. In Germany it is mandatory. I am planning to fit LED DRLs to my bike to increase conspicuousness.

I prefer them to be on, and as far as I can see there is no way to turn them off (March 2013 model).  However they could do with being a bit brighter as they look pretty pathetic, particularly compared to many of the LED versions.

On for me and personally I think they look pretty good. From a distance they actually look like a set of yellowish coloured LED's. The reflectors give this impression very well

+1

What is worrying is the number of people (including Yeti owners) who turn on their sidelights - but not headlights - in poor visibility, thus cancelling the DRL's on cars fitted with them. No-one on here would be daft enough to do this of course, but it's amazing how many people do it. Trouble is that whilst it does illuminate the tail lights and the instrument cluster lights, the front of the car is now almost invisible in mist & in spray on a wet motorway .

• Like 2

Or, er, SNOWCHAINS?  Remember that?

No not "SNOWCHAINS". :peek:   I could not go through that again  :wall:

Wonder if you will be able to fit them to the facelift. :giggle:

OK going to the corner to get a beer 

Why does having DRLs on seem such a problem? They cannot possibly do any harm but may do some good and the cost is surely negligible.

At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, some people don't seem to have enough to worry about!

• Like 4

Why does having DRLs on seem such a problem? They cannot possibly do any harm but may do some good and the cost is surely negligible.

At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, some people don't seem to have enough to worry about!

Agreed! 

Don't look at the citigo thread on DRLs.....