How durable are the leather seats?

kibby

Can anyone who has had leather seats for say 2-3 years comment on how durable they are?

i.e. keeping their appearance, stretching/sagging and lack of signs of wear.

Seen some poor examples of used Yeti's at the dealers and don't want to regret moving to Elegance

spec as not too concerned about other features of this spec but choosing leather add on to SE/SE Plus

does not make sense for residuals and overall economics.

Weight range of users 14-16 stone.

Edited by kibby

My first Yeti I had for 3 years and apart from a few wrinkles in the 'seat' was perfectly fine.  It was the gobi leather but cleaned up with no troubles.  My wife was wearing a new pair of jeans and, some what inevitably, the the blue dye transferred to the seat - no problem cleaning the seat back to it's pristine look.

TBH leather is one of the poorer aspects of Yeti quality, at least in one specific respect. I'm not sure exactly which parts of the seat are leather and which imitation, but on mine (and some others I've seen) on the seat cushion itself (ie the part you sit on) the 'leather' stretches across a central seat support which runs fore and aft and so unavoidably looks a bit saggy before too long. (Mine's done about 26000 and I did complain about this at a service around the 20000 mark, but was just told - after reference to SUK - that it's nothing out of the ordinary.)

I'm not actually sure that this isn't more to do with the design of the seat itself rather than the leather quality - the main seat cushion seems to need more support than just this one main strengthener. As the design is at present it's almost inevitable I would have thought that the seat is going to look a little saggy after a while either side of this support or spring or whatever it is. It doesn't seem to affect the comfort of it at all - it's just a little more stretching than one might prefer to see. It would be nice to think that the FL will use an improved design of seat cushion (I wouldn't mind the Scirocco one for instance) but this is probably wishful thinking.

Edited by prodata

I had leather seats in my previous Octavia which I kept for 7 years, no problems and it cleaned up like new, a few creases but just the character of leather. My current Yeti has gobi leather seats and after 18 months the seats are virtually as new.  Don't worry about it just look after them occasionally and they will look good for years.

Anyone tried 'Renapur' leather treatment/feeder to keep in good condition? It's excellent on shoes,belts,bags etc.

My Yeti only couple of weeks old but aware that drivers seats on used ones ( eg on Auto trader ) are rumpled.

I don't put anything on that may soften them this would allow it to stretch even quicker.

The valet man advised me after it was treated with 'GardX' not to apply anything unless there's reason to and recommended to hoover any dirt and grit from all the stitching then clean lightly with a damp cloth.  You can treat it but its more difficult to un treat it once something has soaked in. 

Mine are not quite 2 year old but still look like new and not shiney  :happy:

I recovered my Yeti seats with napa leather at 20k miles and they were still like new.

The stock leather seems to last well, but then it is a bit like rhino hide so it should do.

The focus is on durability, not quality.

I'd also say the size of owners makes a difference.

Having 20+ stone pressing down on them and sliding in and out is going to put a lot of wear and tear into the seats compared to someone like my wife who is 8 stone.

Simple physics.

• Like 2

My seats have been well sat upon for 90,000miles, I weigh around 14 stone mark and can honestly say the only thing I put on the leather seat is my arse! No feed and clean just my arse. As for feed?  Leather is obviously dead so does it really need feeding?

The drivers seat does look different to the passenger seat, slightly ripply but this is because I usually travel alone for majority of the time but I wouldn't say it was unsightly or looking like it needs replacing.

I will let you know how it looks next August when it will be three years old and 135,000 miles old.

• Like 1

So it seems the best thing to put on leather seats is an arse and that's what seats are for isn't it?

James I wont ask you what you treat your arse with :giggle:  

So it seems the best thing to put on leather seats is an arse and that's what seats are for isn't it?

James I wont ask you what you treat your arse with :giggle:  

TLC of course, it is cracked now and I am only 40, it may have to work for another 40 years at least  :giggle:

I do clean my seats with baby wipes, I also use these on all surfaces in the Yeti including the dash, doors, boot, seats and kick strips etc, wipes are great, on the clocks and radio screen I use glass cleaner, nothing more.

The seats in my 56 L&K octavia are in pretty good condition.  You can see more creases and wrinkles in the drivers compared to the passenger side, but it has had my bum polishing it for the last 30000 of 93000 miles.  I am somewhat heavier than James. 

Upholstery leather is coated with some plastic or other.  Any cheap or fancy "feed" is not likely to do much good.  A wipe with a dap cloth is all they'll need.

All I have ever used is leather wipes available from any motor store, cleans off any marks or colour from denim etc quickly and restores leather look. After 7 years the leather seats in my Octy looked a lot better than cloth seats of the same age. Given a modicum of care leather generally ages well and maintains good looks for a very long time.

Out leather seats have some 'creases' in, but that's expected after a certain amount of time.

I'll take some photos later this morning and post them here so you can 'check out the wear signs.  :yes:

They're FAR from falling apart or looking ragged.  :sun:  :rock:

After 3 yrs of ownership, the Gobi leather is just as it was when it was new, blue denim jeans do leave blue rub marks on the side, but using leather cleaner, back to look ing new.      I have now ordered my second snow monster with Gobi leather.!

• 3 weeks later...

Had our sofa touched up with colorant and the repairer said the last thing you want to use for cleaning is baby wipes....not sure if this applies to car

seats though as may be more protected by a plastic film.

Seems if this is the case the leather seats (seat facings only) are a posh version of PVC (ex Morris Marina) seats!!!

Noticed this site only likes American versions of spellings as doesn't like a

'u' added to 'colorant'. Shame!!

... Noticed this site only likes American versions of spellings as doesn't like a 'u' added to 'colorant'. Shame!!

Very contradictory;  It's trying to lead you astray.  We have been reminded recently not to post in foreign languages.  Be firm with the spell-chequer!

Very contradictory;  It's trying to lead you astray.  We have been reminded recently not to post in foreign languages.  Be firm with the spell-chequer!

And read your own posts so as to detect any errors it may have made! :)

TBH leather is one of the poorer aspects of Yeti quality, at least in one specific respect. I'm not sure exactly which parts of the seat are leather and which imitation, but on mine (and some others I've seen) on the seat cushion itself (ie the part you sit on) the 'leather' stretches across a central seat support which runs fore and aft and so unavoidably looks a bit saggy before too long. (Mine's done about 26000 and I did complain about this at a service around the 20000 mark, but was just told - after reference to SUK - that it's nothing out of the ordinary.)

It is not the world's best leather but it is very durable.  Sure some stretching shows on the seat base but it does not look out of places as on my near 3 year old seats it is equal over all the seats after 27,000 miles.

As to what is leather and what is not: easy: everything you touch (or that gets heated) when seated is real leather. So the seat base top and the backrest front face.  All the rest, i.e. all sides and the backs as well as the headrests are imitation "leather".

I agree with Johann!

I had my front seats 'rebuilt' under warranty @ c.9k miles - 2 years later and approaching 20k miles they still look pristine.

There's no doubt the leather quality/construction is of  lower standard than in my two previous Golfs, but I'm content. Both Golfs only had real leather seat facings too, BTW.

The heated seats are a must on winter mornings!