What made you smile whilst driving?

sparks03

Nothing as spectacular as teh BMW going the wrong way up a one way street, but a lad done the road has just bought a new toy to restore - it always makes me smile to see a Trabant in the flesh. Not a "proper" one though - this one is a late model with a Polo 1100cc engine - to be authentic, a Trabby must have a two stroke" - but having said that it is in hearing-aid beige (and no that's not Cappuccino before anyone says it is!), so it looks OK!

Doesn't actually look too back apart from the interior and headlining. Could actually make a nice little project for him.

Mike

Someone who lives on my route to work has one and based on the clouds of smoke and the smell, it's a 2 stroke.  It's a kind of weird cream colour.

Driving a proper diesel. 

Car turning right infront.. so I'm right up against the curb as it slows. Cyclist catches up behind sitting about 1mm from the back corner. Car turns n i accelerated away slowly... cyclist still there pedalling away.. so stuff it.. 2nd gear, foot to the floor... watch said cyclist disappear in a cloud of soot. Lovely. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Having a passenger ride in my mates Glanza god that things quick.

Did all them not get sacrificed on the alter of "Scrappage"? Havnt seen a genuine high speed roller skate in a while :D

Haha, reminds me of my brother-in-law's old Capri, with the badge on the back rearranged to read CRAPI........

It actually was far from it - a C-reg 2.8i in two tone blue and silver - at the time he sold it it was about 13 years old and had done less than 30k miles.. He only sold it because it cost a fortune to run. I bet he wishes he'd kept it now though, knowing the prices they bring today.

Mike

I feel sorry for him for selling when he did. Prices have increased 1000% in the last 10 years! From £200-£20,000 for a decent one nowadays. Glad I got mine 9 years ago for £750 :p

Saw a youngish lad driving a 16 plate McLaren today - couldn't help but smile when I thought of the difference between what I pay for insurance on the Octavia and what he must be paying.............

Sounded glorious though!

Mike

He might have the last laugh though.

Its the difference between his insurance and his overall fortune.

Whatever broken wire that's causing my fuel gauge to sometimes -- but mostly not -- work, just barely making contact; so needle slamming between below empty to full, then back again, about twenty times a second. XD

The 1.0 triple in the hire Kia picanto I've been driving... Thrash the nuts off it to a thrummy sound track and it still does 57mpg!!!

Whatever broken wire that's causing my fuel gauge to sometimes -- but mostly not -- work, just barely making contact; so needle slamming between below empty to full, then back again, about twenty times a second. XD

On a car, any car, of that vintage there's a good chance that the fault is in the sender unit.

With a Favorit, there's also a good chance that there's a dry joint in the instrument panel PCB.

• Like 1

:wall:  :wall:  :wall:

Driving the open top tour bus at work today - stopped at the bandstand in Whitby which is at the top of the harbour, and overlooking the slipway down to the beach, and one of my passengers came to me and said "excuse me driver, do we not go anywhere near the sea on this run?" I just looked at here, said nothing and shook my head..........lost for words!

Mike

It's not actually possible to get more than a mile from the sea and still be "in Whitby", is it?

On a car, any car, of that vintage there's a good chance that the fault is in the sender unit.

With a Favorit, there's also a good chance that there's a dry joint in the instrument panel PCB.

Yeah, first thing I did was poke and prod at the sender (made all the more fun by the fuel level being right at the top of the port in the top of the tank that the sender drops in through, so any sudden movements caused fuel to slop everywhere. I hate the smell of petrol.), and that seems to be responding reasonably (Resistance changes as I push the float down, and smoothly at that..)

I also dismantled the instrument panel to give all the contacts a good cleaning up (contact cleaner and a bit of rubbing), which didn't fix my original issue. (Gauge worked one day, then not the next. It occasionally sometimes works, but then usually dies again before I've finished even the trip to work. Only once, so far, has it had an attack of the flails...)

I'll get it figured out at some point; until then, I'm going off estimations and occasional random confirmations. :notme: Until then, I guess neither of the vehicles in my fleet will have a working fuel gauge. :D

Yeah, first thing I did was poke and prod at the sender (made all the more fun by the fuel level being right at the top of the port in the top of the tank that the sender drops in through, so any sudden movements caused fuel to slop everywhere. I hate the smell of petrol.), and that seems to be responding reasonably (Resistance changes as I push the float down, and smoothly at that..)

I also dismantled the instrument panel to give all the contacts a good cleaning up (contact cleaner and a bit of rubbing), which didn't fix my original issue. (Gauge worked one day, then not the next. It occasionally sometimes works, but then usually dies again before I've finished even the trip to work. Only once, so far, has it had an attack of the flails...)

I'll get it figured out at some point; until then, I'm going off estimations and occasional random confirmations. :notme: Until then, I guess neither of the vehicles in my fleet will have a working fuel gauge. :D

There was no visible failure in the resistance track on my Dad's Opel Ascona either. It may well not be the sender, but I wouldn't rule it out because it mechanically works right.