Black (and silver) wheels I want on the Yeti FL

I've always loved the Matterhorns because they have a touch of silver in them so that they don't look like spare wheels. Now I noticed these 17" wheels on the new sporty Rapid:

Skoda-Rapid-StylePLUS-1%25255B4%25255D.j

Yummy I think.  (And now someone will correct me and tell me these have been out for years.  Oh well, sorry I just don't follow all the Rapid posts!)

Though in saying that the Matterhorn still look amazing on the new FL Yeti:

87622738.jpg

87902232.jpg

Though I quite like the ones on Bossfox's Rapid too:

DSC_7942R_zps6e2c0d31.jpg

• Like 1

Sadly, smart as they may look, and I do prefer them, I've yet to have a set of VAG polished/painted/lacquered alloys that hasn't succumbed to 'white worm' within 2-3 years*!

My two sets of Annapurnas will be powder coated once out of warranty (Feb 14) and as soon as the inevitable happens!

* This is despite anal attention to washing /polishing/protecting and touching in chips!

The ones on my Rapid are 18" though, they don't do them in 17".

The rims on the Skoda Rapid idea are not out yet, but they are effectively a copy of the mk2 Fabia VRS rims.

Of course, the Rapid runs the same stud spacing as the Fabia, so that's out.

It would be nice to see some more choice when the FL arrives, because the only non-silver currently is the Matterhorns, which I am quite find of and have on my Yeti.

Was that a picture oppertunity?... woo hoo! :)

yet1.jpg

• Like 3

Slight change of topic but you all seem to have experience with VAG Alloys.

I have new Yeti Elegance with Spitzberg Alloys which I clean regularly. Reason for post is my colleague has a Tiguan which has had one set of alloys replaced under warranty for corrosion and the replacements are now going the same way after about 18months. Is this a VAG problem area or is he just unlucky?

Grumpy

Can you retro fit Matterhorns onto a greenline? Regardless of any efficiency it may hamper and the slightly lowered setup.

Slight change of topic but you all seem to have experience with VAG Alloys.

I have new Yeti Elegance with Spitzberg Alloys which I clean regularly. Reason for post is my colleague has a Tiguan which has had one set of alloys replaced under warranty for corrosion and the replacements are now going the same way after about 18months. Is this a VAG problem area or is he just unlucky?

Grumpy

I've not had "corrosion" to a massive extent but a passat i had, just at the 4th birthday two of the alloys started to "pitt".

The greenlines front left alloy has started to do the same at just shy of 3 years.

Would someone care to remind me what is the point of alloys? :wonder:

They're not lightweight (generally, compared with steels) so they don't really reduce unsprung weight, they need a lot of care but still get 'worm' and need professional attention for knocks and scrapes.  They need extra care when tyres are being put on / taken off.  They're expensive, easily damaged and aren't well suited to off-road conditions. 

And when they're going round and round even the most extreme 'spokes' look just like discs..........  :S

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can you retro fit Matterhorns onto a greenline? Regardless of any efficiency it may hamper and the slightly lowered setup.

Yes, you should be fine.

I've got Koni lowered springs fitted to Kevin, which lower by more than greenline springs and run Spitzbergs without any issue.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia S using TapaTalk 4

I was at my dealer this morning and there was a Superb L & K in the showroom with absolutely stunning black, with a tiny bit of silver, multi vaned alloys.

18" mind but might well be good for a Yeti.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia S using TapaTalk 4

when you sit in the drivers seat and drive, you cannot see WHAT you are shod with... .... ... ..

So - does it actually matter, eh?

Same could be said for most of the car in that case. You can only really see the bonnet, so does it matter if the rest of the car is ugly?

Or pink with yellow spots?

Its not all about how it looks when you are in it.