Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance :-)

I used to think eco tyres were snake-oil but I'm converted.

I switched my previous Maxxis MAZ1 to a pair of Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres mainly to reduce the cabin noise that was getting my goat.

Bearing in mind the Maxxis were eco rating G (or pish) and the GY are A.

I've seen my average mpg jump by 2-4mpg.  Where on my commute I'd see 38mpg as a pretty good day I'm now seeing 41mpg regularly and 43.4mpg on e one occasion which is the highest I've ever seen on the TFSI.

These are from the computer not brim to brim.

What is definite is that I'm filling up with 30 miles more on the trip than I did before. I'll normally get the 'bong' at about 380. It didn't go off until 410 this time.

I did some maths last night and if that stays for the life of the tyre I'll save £180.

Performance wise they are supposed to be very good in the wet.

I'd say that the Maxxis had very stiff sidewalls and the GY feel a good bit softer so for the sporty feel they're not the best.

Normally I buy budget perfomance tyres (<£100) but I'm converted for these GY.

Edited by Aspman

How are they noise wise? It's the one thing that p**ses me off about my Octy VRS. Only had it a month and I put some new rears on because it was grumbling away.

I have them on mine, they have about 28k on them and came from bridgestone turanza.

Compared I find them way better in wet than the Bridgestone.

More comfortable yes cause of softer compound. Road noise is better although not perfect on certain asphalt.

The only thing that bugs me, elegance on 16", is if cornered hard at points the tires squeak and no esp light flashes, meaning that the car isn't being pushed hard enough but the tires are. Yesterday did 350km on back roads and the suspension/tire are a very good combination, nextmaybe will try Michelin.

How are they noise wise? It's the one thing that p**ses me off about my Octy VRS. Only had it a month and I put some new rears on because it was grumbling away.

If you've got loud tyres on (Maxxis were very loud) you'll notice a difference but don't expect them to turn your VRS into an S-Class.

I'm currently running these ony vRS as well. As Aspman mentioned I have also seen a improvement in my mpg's and I find them noticeably quieter than the conti's I was running previously. All in all quite impressed with them.

Had these new three years ago all round, still got them on the front (were on back).

Wet weather grip poor really nothing to shout about. Noise good until they saw toothed. Personally I found they did give good mpg though and would easily get 450-480 miles out of a tank doing brum to Carlisle and miles in between.

2.0 TFSi

had the previous efficient grip on the volvo and these needed replacing last week so i went with the new efficient grip performance.

they are very very quiet on the volvo and on a return trip to kettering (150miles) i did a brim to brim mpg of 68, this i find astounding as my previous best was 63mpg on a similar run with near same conditions.

cost me 500 quid for 4 as the volvo uses an odd size however i think its the best tyre ive ever bought for general plodding. they are very soft sidewalls though and are not a performance tyre but thats not what they are marketed as.

. they are very soft sidewalls though and are not a performance tyre but thats not what they are marketed as.

Definitely. I keep thinking they look a little flat but pressures are fine.

I think I'll miss the rim flange on the maxxis it saved me a few scratches over the years.

I can't talk on grip with these tyres because I drive with a very light foot. But they were on my 1.9 tdi when I bought it three years ago and the rears are still there!

I have no info on how many miles they had covered before my tenure with the car, but I've put more than 40,000 miles on them and they are still there and there's a lot more to go. And I tow a caravan.

I have a pair of these on the front of my 1.9 tdi, done about 7k so far. Seem to grip well wet or dry and are really quiet compared to the budget (Primewells) I had on before :)

Edited by Sheriff

I can't talk on grip with these tyres because I drive with a very light foot. But they were on my 1.9 tdi when I bought it three years ago and the rears are still there!

I have no info on how many miles they had covered before my tenure with the car, but I've put more than 40,000 miles on them and they are still there and there's a lot more to go. And I tow a caravan.

Efficient grip performance only came out last year as far as im aware. I think you have the older efficient grip that i was also using.

Agree with Rover220 - the tread pattern has changed a lot in the new version which came out in the last year. Very happy with 80 mile M-way run last night 50+mpg indicated which is good for my Scout on a fastish run, and the road noise an improvement (as expected) on worn Dunlop SP01s. No issues with grip but I wasn't doing anything daft.

So is there a definitive answer to "what is the quietest tyre" with decent grip wet & dry, for say the 18" rim on a vRS;Is it the Goodyear's?

I agree the Octavia is appallingly noisy in the cabin from all the transmitted road noise.

The dealer stuck a pair of tyres on mine when I bought it, what a crock of crap they are in the wet. In 3rd gear if I squeeze the pedal in damp/wet conditions it just looses all traction and spins up. Those are made by someone called "Kenda" and they are noisy, so avoid them.

With Kenda on the front and a worn pair of Conti's on the back I get on my daily commute in my TDI vRS, 54-60mpg on the way in and 46-52mpg back home on the maxidot readout.

Regards

Edited by Defenderben

So is there a definitive answer to "what is the quietest tyre" with decent grip wet & dry, for say the 18" rim on a vRS;Is it the Goodyear's?

The answer is that the VRSs is noisy on just about everything. The GY are mearly noisy whilst cheaper tyres can range from loud to feckin appalling.

Most small cars with large tyres are really unnacceptably loud in the cabin. SWMBO had a 2010 Ibiza with 17" alloys and I couldn't bear to be in it for any length of time.

VRS isn't good but a long way from the worst I've been in.

• Like 1

Aspman - no, the vRS isn't noisy on every tyre! I've had a set of the Efficient Grip tyres on my vRS for about nine months now.  They made a BIG reduction in road noise over the orignal Contis to the point that I don't notice it any more. Handling wise, they're good in warm and wet weather but not so clever when it's cold Winter weather (at least until they warm up a bit).

• 6 months later...

I used to think eco tyres were snake-oil but I'm converted.

I switched my previous Maxxis MAZ1 to a pair of Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres mainly to reduce the cabin noise that was getting my goat.

Bearing in mind the Maxxis were eco rating G (or pish) and the GY are A.

I've seen my average mpg jump by 2-4mpg.  Where on my commute I'd see 38mpg as a pretty good day I'm now seeing 41mpg regularly and 43.4mpg on e one occasion which is the highest I've ever seen on the TFSI.

These are from the computer not brim to brim.

What is definite is that I'm filling up with 30 miles more on the trip than I did before. I'll normally get the 'bong' at about 380. It didn't go off until 410 this time.

I did some maths last night and if that stays for the life of the tyre I'll save £180.

Performance wise they are supposed to be very good in the wet.

I'd say that the Maxxis had very stiff sidewalls and the GY feel a good bit softer so for the sporty feel they're not the best.

Normally I buy budget perfomance tyres (<£100) but I'm converted for these GY.

Have you been using these tyres, how have you found them if so? Also, how much did you pay?

I need a full set of summers and looking at these, hardly needed the winters this year ;) although its pretty cold at night still.

£103 a corner on mytyres for the vRS...

Thanks

yup.

Got the front two changed to these and was very impressed, then had the rears done and the entire car feels so much better compared to the falken 914's i had on before.

Much less of the traction control light and much better grip in the corners.

This is a stage 1 mapped tdi so around 200bhp and 300ftlb torque

Have you been using these tyres, how have you found them if so? Also, how much did you pay?

I need a full set of summers and looking at these, hardly needed the winters this year ;) although its pretty cold at night still.

£103 a corner on mytyres for the vRS...

Thanks

Well yes I've have been using them; slightly confused by your question. Still happy with them if that's what you mean.

I think I was about £110 a corner. Only had the front two done but will change the rears to the same GYEGP when they're due.

I did it through BlackCircles. Showing as £112 fitted to me at the moment.

Edited by Aspman

• 2 weeks later...