Retrofit new Columbus

hkp

Hadn't had my morning dose of caffine yet..  :rofl:

On my old Omega (2002) I couldn't justify the extra for ones with colour nav back then, always swore I'd go for it next time... ahem. 

In my desperation for you to find a solution to your dilemma, I emailed vag-tech on your behalf. I hope you don't mind.

I asked if a 2014 Octavia 5E could be retrofitted with Columbus if it was delivered with Bolero as standard.

They replied:-

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes, it is possible.

We can install the original Skoda Columbus Navigation system into your Skoda for £958.80 including mobile installation, VAT and 3 year warranty.

Quick, go get your car back! Lol.

For any others wanting the same - there you go. I guess the price includes the unit.

BE CAREFUL,.....

I did the same thing and they emailed back quoting the same price, however the link they attached showing the unit they'd fit was of the old Columbus sat nav, which I've been reliably informed will not fit in the latest Octavia. I've challenged them today and asked them to check and come back to me,...

Edited by Telboy5

Just found out that they had got it wrong and were thinking of the old columbus unit,...they did come back with something else although I'm not convinced they understand what we're looking for as they mention a Columbus Fun and GO Nav unit costing £460ish that goes with the Bolero????

I think I'll wait a while and use me good old tom tom until someone figures out how to do this and sensible money!

• 3 months later...

It enables the locked out maps by fooling the unit that the fuel level sender is disconnected.

What's the fuel level got to do with the maps? :S

Nothing at all. In fact, it fools the MIB unit that the fuel level sensor is disconnected by simulating holding in one of the buttons on the climatronic.

The end result of this is that the you get the pop up asking if you want to navigate to a fuel station, and then you can enter a destination :)

That is how they are getting round the fact that the maps lock after about 30 seconds if your car didnt come with that unit from the factory.

In other words, a complete and utter (expensive) bodge.

At this point in time you cannot retrofit a different MIB Infotainment unit. I know a few who are significantly more knowledgeable than me, and they are very close to getting this working, but as of yet the final couple of steps are proving very elusive due to the component protection.

Ah, so in a "vanilla" install without nav, when the fuel is low. it will allow nav to a fuel station?

Sounds very convoluted: hold a climatronic button to simulate no fuel sensor to enable satnav.

Given that it looks like someone broke the encryption to enable engine re-mapping on the newer cars, I can't see this remaining un-doable for much longer.

I don't believe the component protection that Audi use has been broken, and that has been in place a few years now. Most retrofit places have to go to main dealer to get the component protection sorted. I could be wrong though :)

Guys, there is no chance yet to activate the maps. You need a special code und send this one via SWaP (software as produkt) to the Columbus.

The same procedure is used for the "müdigkeitserkennung". The dealer gets the code from the factory spezialy for the VIM of the car. The code is on the server of VAG and if its correct the SWaP Code is written the the Columbus oder BCM /Gateway. So there is no chance yet.

• Like 1

VAG / Audi have a nice Idee when they starts SWaP :devil:

We are looking to code Drvie Profle Selection...  no chance. without the SWaP code.. :thumbdown:

Yep - they have really made it difficult now!

Hence why I want QR9 from the factory LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I"ve never introduced myself but I've been reading forum posts for a while. I found something that might be of interest... It seems like someine in China is able to get the damn codes we need to swap our Bolero for a Columbus. I can't try it now because I don't have an spare Columbus to install but I think its cheap enough to at least try. As I said, just informing. I have absolutely no connection ti that shop. I'm actually just a 23 yo spanish guy, proud owner of an Octavia III Regards! VW Original Car Radio Unlock Decode Service for RCD310 RCD510 RNS310 RNS315 RNS510

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-Original-Car-Radio-Unlock-Decode-Service-for-RCD310-RCD510-RNS310-RNS315-RNS510/1951518550.html

(from AliExpress Android)

Edited by pridix

That is for the old Columbus only, the Octavia 3 version is not the same except in name.

Audi component protection has been around for more than 11 years and still not cracked, its going to be a very long time for a retrofit into the Octavia MK3.

I've manage to swap my Amundsen to Columbus!

You need Skoda to disable component protection.

Then put your car on (no motor running just electric side) dismount display and mib unit (remove the big contact last) plug in the new unit (big contact first)

Hold "car" button for 30sec (this will copy the old configuration from gateway? To the new unit)

This worked for two O3 -2014 models!

No problems so far.

• Like 2

I've manage to swap my Amundsen to Columbus!

You need Skoda to disable component protection.

Then put your car on (no motor running just electric side) dismount display and mib unit (remove the big contact last) plug in the new unit (big contact first)

Hold "car" button for 30sec (this will copy the old configuration from gateway? To the new unit)

This worked for two O3 -2014 models!

No problems so far.

I think the tricky thing here is that Skoda disable the component protection. As far as I've read in this post, they won't do that. So how did you manage it? Edited by pridix

I just walked in and said I need to remove the component protection due to I want to change my head unit.

No problemo. Audi will do it if you ask them! It's what all the aftermarket installers do.

• Like 1

Yep, seen all of those - fooling the car in to thinking the tank is empty etc.

The point I was making is even if you disable component protection, if you had a Bolero to start off with you have a car that isn't set up from the factory for Navigation, so it won't work.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, there is no chance yet to activate the maps. You need a special code und send this one via SWaP (software as produkt) to the Columbus.

The same procedure is used for the "müdigkeitserkennung". The dealer gets the code from the factory spezialy for the VIM of the car. The code is on the server of VAG and if its correct the SWaP Code is written the the Columbus oder BCM /Gateway. So there is no chance yet.

Who provide that "special code", Skoda dealer, or? Who send that code via SWaP to the Columbus?

So, if i understood you, dealer ask for special code via SWaP? Does dealer need VIN from me? I removed CP in my Skoda by dealer, so what next to do, to avoid blocking maps after 20 seconds, instead using trick with "empty fuel tank" ?

• 1 month later...

Any news here guys? Have a bolero but want the latest columbus. Is it now possible for skoda dealers to remove comp protection and code it in?

Edited by FoleySK