Ticket ! :(

seboni121

Well after well over 30 years driving ! I've just been issued with a speedster ticket :( , I was on the way home 10:30 am and just come of a sleep shift 24 ( care worker) , I was a little bit tired and a new home 45 mies from the old stomping ground and don't really know the roads that well yet ( poor excuse ) but , I was doing 54 in a 40 :( so what should I expect ? Fine n points or a speed awareness course ?

For 14mph over the limit it's unlikely you'll get offered the awareness course.

Standard 3 point FPN is most likely.

Just think of the thousands of times you've got away with speeding

This is true :) but still smarts, will points affect my insurance premiums ? Edited by seboni121

All points will affect your insurance as the statistics suggest you increase the risk of a claim as a licence holder with points. Naturally, the more serious convictions carry the heavier penalty in terms of premium increase.

EG SP30 carries a 10-15% load for the company I work for, but an SP50 carries approx 20% premium load and the more you have the more your policy will be loaded as you are percieved to be a greater risk.

I'm well known in the family for driving like an old fart! Their words not mine :) , however this ticket has made my next vehicle purchase very unlikely ! ( wifey as firmly slammed her foot down) jag xj and 7 series :( , my son has told her to buy me the old 1.4tdi fabia or polo 3 cylinder :( instead

• Like 2

This is true :) but still smarts, will points affect my insurance premiums ?

Not this year, because you've paid it. It might next year, but if it does, just shop around. I've had more than one insurance company tell me it doesn't make a big difference, because pretty much everyone gets one at some point.

I'm not surprised you were tired after 30 years of driving! ;) I wouldn't worry too much, my first 3 points from an SP30 hardly made a dent in my premiums, 6 and above and anything above an SP50 or 60 then they start having your pants down.

www.pepipoo.com is a good source for advice.

It's one thing to get caught once and another to be a habitual speeder

which you become once you've been done more than once 

(IF you answer ALL the questions they ask when taking out cover 100% honestly.)

I'm not certain everyone does but it's a false economy in the event of a claim

or a stop by the fuzz... Then of course,  they will give you every possible excuse to

add loads to your premium.

My last lot of penalty points were for parking with 1ft of my truck overlapping

a zig zag marking on a pedestrian crossing. I was parked to the left of the crossing  

so wasn't obscuring oncoming traffic, and I had a couple of tonnes of paving slabs

to offload by wheelbarrow. Some (4) old bill pulled up in a marked  car (which then

parked completely on said zig zag markings to the right of the crossing)

and then booked me. I never had a camera phone at the time or I would have

photographed their (worse)offence and appealed it. My wheels were clear of the markings 

but the tail board was overlapping (Transit tipper).  My code was PC30.

Oh well, it never added a penny to my premiums anyway... :) Licence all clean again now.

I was caught doing 79mph on a NSL dual carriageway. I went on a speed awareness course (which was more about eco driving...) and a Guy on my table was caught doing 49 in a 30 and was on the course. He was one lucky devil. Whilst supposedly neutral to insurance, admiral now ask when taking out insurance.

I was caught doing 79mph on a NSL dual carriageway. I went on a speed awareness course (which was more about eco driving...) and a Guy on my table was caught doing 49 in a 30 and was on the course. He was one lucky devil. Whilst supposedly neutral to insurance, admiral now ask when taking out insurance.

Yep, some insurance companies have now started to ask if you've been on a speed awareness course in the past few years.