Xenon headlamp option? Worth it?

Hi, 

I am about to order an Octavia 1.6 TDI. Was wondering if it was worth adding in the 

"Bi-Xenon, AFS and LED daytime running lights & black cornering fog lights" option.

Apart from the safety aspects, does this option change the appearance of the car?

Any thoughts?

Definitely worth to have it. First had it approx 10 years ago, it was an expensive option then but it was a hugh improvement from the halogen type fitted in our 2nd car. Now we have it on both cars in the family.

Yes Absolutely - Get the xenons

My Mk1 Octavia L&K had them and driving on dark roads was no problem.

On my Mk2 Octavia I thought, nah dont really need them and did not bother, big mistake really struggled at night, in fact struggled to more than 40mph in France in the pouring rain, no cats eyes! Horrible!

My Mk3 Octavia bought this August I have them and they are great, can see much better, with the lights set on sport mode you can really see them looking round the corner, all the road signs are lit etc, have not tried the auto dipping yet though.

I've had them on a previous Octavia and they were brilliant. 

I don't know if the one's on the new vRS will do the same as the other one where as you turned the steering wheel, they followed it, a little disconcerting at first but brilliant, never go back now. 

Definitely. The basic headlights are of the reflector type so putting HID bulbs in them at a later date would be very antisocial and most likely illegal. 

The VRS has different fog lights from the other Octavias -my Elegance has cornering fogs and Xenons:

Standard lights no fog lights:

oc_none_zpsa6b4492b.jpg

Standard lights with fog lights:

oc_standard_zps57966b66.jpg

Xenon headlights with black fog lights:

oc_xenon_zps0732e353.jpg

• Like 1

It's well worth the money. I'm quite a nerd when it comes to automotive lighting, and I've experimented with a lot of setups (among other things, I've built and cast my own motorcycle headlight with a bi-xenon projector unit). The light output on the MKIII with AFS bi-xenon is far better than the MKII. I've tested it a couple of times the past few days, and I'm impressed with the way the headlights work in different modes. Initially I was a bit sceptical with the fact that the full beam isn't accompanied with separate halogen lights, but Skoda (or their supplier, rather) has done a real good job with the projector in terms of geometry and light output. Full beam is excellent, which is quite important here in Norway with a lot of dark roads during winter. 

• Like 2

I paid the premium to have them fitted to the car in my signature below. Expensive, certainly, but I like as much light on the road as possible (without blinding oncoming vehicles).

Will never have after-market rubbish, so it was a no-brainer. Pleased that the Mk3 comes with them as standard - or else that would have been the first option ticked (if I decide to go the Mk3 route).

I really want them, but £1005 for lights is a bit mad

its not just the "bulb".

its the shutters, the motors, the cameras (with afs II), the sensors, and the associated gadgetry that make up the cost!!

i wish mine had bi-xenons.  the single xenons with dynamic bending r still brilliant though.

Maybe its just me but I had them on my Qashqai until last week and never understood what the fuss was about. Hence I didn't spec them on my fab Elegance.

It's quite a difference between a reflector and a projector in terms of light distribution. The Qashqai has reflectors. For one, the reflector solution use the D*r type xenon bulb, which has a shield to prevent too much light scatter above the cut-off line. This results in an inferior light output compared to a projector solution, which use a D*s bulb. The difference can be as much as a couple of hundred lumens. Another thing is that there can be substantial differences between projectors as well. The projectors on the O3 are way up there compared to other cars I've driven.

I am missing my Xenons. Driving an Elegance but did not put any extras on as it was stock.

you mainly notice it on side roads, and then quiet motorways, and as I drive to cornwall a lot, on the A30.

did not want to spend the extra £1k or wait the 14 weeks, so I have to deal with it, even though I said I would NEVER go back, I have.

oh well, only another 2 years or so until I change again!!!!