CAVE & CTHE 1.4TSI, Just reply please if you have had an engine replaced.

When you had the breather mod and oil spray jets done did it reduce the useage or did it still use the same?

In all honesty it used more but the engine hasn't been the same since it ate a spark plug @ 28k due to using more oil, it went from 1.1 litres in 2500 miles to then using 1.1ltr in 800 miles for the last 5000 mile.

Hi , I'm a new vrs owner . Mines is a 2011 estate with the cave engine, it has done 38000 miles . I bought mine from Arnold Clark 10 weeks ago . I checked the oil when I bought it & it was full . Checked again after 200 miles & had to top up 1litre. Checked again after 300 miles & had to put in 1.5 litres . I went back to Arnold Clark & they told me their warranty would not replace the engine as it was " financially uneconomical " . After 3 weeks of arguing my case with them I called Skoda uk & explained the situation to them . Surprisingly they agreed to fit a new engine . I got my car back on Friday so hopefully all will be ok now . Fingers crossed !

• Like 3

Hi , I'm a new vrs owner . Mines is a 2011 estate with the cave engine, it has done 38000 miles . I bought mine from Arnold Clark 10 weeks ago . I checked the oil when I bought it & it was full . Checked again after 200 miles & had to top up 1litre. Checked again after 300 miles & had to put in 1.5 litres . I went back to Arnold Clark & they told me their warranty would not replace the engine as it was " financially uneconomical " . After 3 weeks of arguing my case with them I called Skoda uk & explained the situation to them . Surprisingly they agreed to fit a new engine . I got my car back on Friday so hopefully all will be ok now . Fingers crossed !

That's a result - no contribution from you? Skoda do seem to be more accommodating recently.

As for Arnold :swear: ...

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 1

These engines are produced.  The cars are no longer manufactured.

VW have an engine refurbishment plant in Germany.

There are engines needing replaced world wide not only in the Skodas but the sister cars.

Twinchargers were in various VW's in many world regions.

• Like 1

I had an low oil warning light come on after only having the car for a month or so. That was at about 31000 miles. Took the car to Skoda and they asked me to do a 200 mile oil consumption test. I dropped the car back after the test drive to 200 and had a hire car fora  week. Picked the car up today with new engine. Seems pretty sweet. The brakes feel a bit mushy though, but I was a 2016 Octavia courtesy car.

Car is a 2013 VRS CTHE

No paper work to say whats been done.

IMG_20160916_182328.jpg

Edited by Chibakun
  • Like 1

Get Skoda UK Customer Services to send you the information on every part replaced including the engine.

That is for the record not just for you but a future owner and Servicing Schedule; on a new engine, not just the car.

Then they can send a letter for Your Records of a Like for Like Engine Replacement.  This is incase the DVLA ever want it.

Skoda say they change the Engine Numbers etc etc, they say a Blank Engine is stamped at a Dealers,  All nonsense.

You could ask about a Warranty Extension and the New Engines Warranty not just expiring when the Cars Warranty Expires.

They say no, they say they do not do this.

They do do this, because even Replacement Engines have failed and they know they do.

Enjoy the car now.  Have fun.

• Like 1

I would be really grateful if anyone who has had an engine replacement, outside of warranty, with some goodwill contribution from Skoda to PM me their details. Case reference and/or registration number, perhaps name if you don't mind sharing that.

Some of you may have seen my other posts. My car is currently with Skoda requiring an engine replacement due to damage caused by a broken valve.

Skoda are offering me 60% goodwill contribution to parts and labour, so cost to me of £2,259. I know others with higher milers than mine have been offered a lot better.

I found out that my replacement engine has a 2 year warranty, but it just says engine. So In fact I still need an extended warranty because the gear box could fail.

On another point, do you think the exhaust system would have been damaged by all that oil going through it?

If you pay towards a replacement engine or a Warranty Underwriter does it has a VW/Skoda Original Part 2 year warranty.

If Skoda pay for it under Original Warranty it only lasts as long as the Cars Manufacturers Warranty.

Plenty People have had Extended Warranties as a gesture as Skoda Call it & plenty have been told you do not get this.

Yes you need a warranty on the car still even if the Engine has been replaced, maybe especially if the engine has been replaced,

for your own peace of mind.

• Like 1

If you pay towards a replacement engine or a Warranty Underwriter does it has a VW/Skoda Original Part 2 year warranty.

If Skoda pay for it under Original Warranty it only lasts as long as the Cars Manufacturers Warranty.

Plenty People have had Extended Warranties as a gesture as Skoda Call it & plenty have been told you do not get this.

Yes you need a warranty on the car still even if the Engine has been replaced, maybe especially if the engine has been replaced,

for your own peace of mind.

Cool, I had originally intended to get an extended warranty.

Now I wouldn't say I'm paranoid about my oil but I check it every two-three days.

I have bought my car second hand, not a massive history folder to be fair, but have service receipts etc.

Been into my local dealer and they can see it had some engine warranty work early in its life (2010 CAVE) but not particularly expensive ones

It has the CAVE on the build sticker in the boot still (Not that means a great deal...)

I've requested a copy of all invoices from Skoda CS just to see what it had.

I must have put in 0,5ltr oil in around 2-3000 miles.

I know that doesn't seem bad at all, I just have this paranoid sense in me that will it/wont it eventually do something bad!

Car had 56k on it.

Am I right to be all on edge or shall I just keep as I am and accept that its one of the better ones?

It doesn't get a lot of abuse but it gets a decent drive when I'm on the right roads, and I am considering track days too....

Edited by S27VEJ

Sounds all good.

Best use 5w 40 FS Oil (VW502 00)

Skoda UK Customer Services can tell you exactly what warranty work they paid for back in 2010.

Worth having a Skoda Warranty @ under £300 a year IMO.

(Track days do not count as Motorsport events in the Exclusions.)

Edited by Offski

How long have you had the car?

I certainly wouldn't let that oil usage keep you awake at night.

Do you have a warranty on the car? One can be purchased at a reasonable cost online from Skoda (I've just renewed mine for £165 and my car is six years old - that's with a £250 excess).

Edit: I see George was typing a response at the same time as me :) .

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 1

Great minds think alike!

Had the car around 2-3 months now.

Im using the correct oil then, that's a good start!

I wasn't aware you could just buy a warranty to be fair so ill have a look into it for extra piece of mind I think!

Good that track days are excluded though.... :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just got the word today, Mine is being replaced.
A cylinder 3 was WAY out of spec, the warranty provider had them do a complete tear down and detailed measurements to see if replacing just the rings would fix the issue. 

• Like 1

Going through the motions with Skoda at the moment. 2011 CAVE engine, 2.17L per 1000 miles oil usage from a consumption test and as we finished the test the engine went bang with holed #2 piston @ 45K miles with full SSH. They think £500 is a sufficient contribution for a replacement engine!

• 2 weeks later...

New engine in. 

500km down and not a drop of oil used on the dip stick (cold to cold measurement) 
I will keep watching to see. 

Can anyone tell me what comes on the long block?

I need to know what I will have to replace eventually (plugs/coils etc)

The parts list for my repair was the long block and around 15 different seal and bolt kits. 

It is the Engine including head.

So ask the Dealership if New Plugs are in, they should be.

Get a letter with all details of the engine, when manufactured or remanufactured as they will say it has the same engine numbers / VIN.

Ask them to put that in writing with a copy of the invoice.

So even though there is new oil & filter fitted, if the car is due a service in 1,000 miles they say you need to do it and pay for it, crazy.

Unless they tell you you have new coils, your old onesare fitted, old alternator, waterpamp / supercharger etc etc 

Ask if new belts are fitted.

So get a letter, get a list of parts used, new plugs, new oil / filter, new coolant etc.

I take it no new Cat fitted so ask in writing and get a history so it stays with the car.

Your property and Skoda Australia know the corporate responsibility to you, or should be now. 

None of what was done to your car is a secret to be kept  from you.

PS,

Missed the bit about the seal kit (gaskets) so that list should include everything as used, if not just have them tell you in writing.

Edited by Awayoffski

• 2 weeks later...

My engine was changed in April this year 2017 @ 33K ... car bought in November2016 ... 62 plate VRS... bought a skoda warranty at the same time, about £400...   Not using any oil... still at max... about 3k miles...  CTHE engine... didn't cost a penny...  Apparently Skoda paid for the engine, the warranty people paid for the labour...  not my problem...!!!

Edited by bobster62
  • Like 1